IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Tetris

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

000001 I like Tetris, but my brain is slow and my reflexes are slower. -CasualCart

One of the most classic action puzzle game was in the center of attention this week as players tackled NES Tetris! Host @BeaIank showed that she had a soft side as she decided to have players start at

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Splain said:

This has been really interesting for me. My Tetris skills have been pretty stagnant for a long time. It's served me pretty well over the years to just brute-force my way to a high score. If I don't get a lucky round, abandon it and try again. Given enough attempts, I'll get a series of pieces that meshes really well with my playstyle, and I'll end up with a bangin' score. Wellll, looking at the high scorers in this thread, my approach is going to end up sliding me right out of the top ten. I have to learn new things in order to progress. If my best plan is to "wait for a lucky round," then I suck at Tetris. Sure, unlucky rounds exist, and I'll still sacrifice rounds that give me garbage pieces to start with (first ten pieces are nothing but S's, Z's, and squares) but I'd imagine that if there were a ten-game limit, allowing everyone an absolute maximum of ten attempts to get a high score, there would still be some very impressive scores, and they would definitely not be from me.

I hate the word "hypertapping" though.

I feel your pain. I often will have a long series of duds before I get a good score. This game shows little mercy and I'm not that good at dealing with droughts and bad sets of pieces. Plus I still misdrop way too much.

• Like 1

Final score posted, which was of no consequence to my position this week. I appreciate the opportunity to improve my Tetris skills, which really was in need of some updating. I am now truly conscious of DAS and can see an immediate improvement. I still feel the challenge level this week was more appropriate for a tournament than for engaging in casual play. Congrats to everyone who placed this week. Glad to see that you remembered to stop by, @Sumez!

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Final score posted, which was of no consequence to my position this week. I appreciate the opportunity to improve my Tetris skills, which really was in need of some updating. I am now truly conscious of DAS and can see an immediate improvement. I still feel the challenge level this week was more appropriate for a tournament than for engaging in casual play. Congrats to everyone who placed this week. Glad to see that you remembered to stop by, @Sumez!

Oh no, it looks like one more Tetris would've gotten you 8th place, maybe?

EDIT: Never mind. You would have needed over 171k, I think.

Edited by mbd39

One of the most classic action puzzle game was in the center of attention this week as players tackled NES Tetris! Host @BeaIank showed that she had a soft side as she decided to have players start at level 15, which made it easier for the non-expert players to reach the participation requirement, thus making @Gloves fulfill his 'secret wish' to celebrate his birthday by playing Tetris! Also in the celebration department, we have anonymous sources saying that skinnygrinny (aka @docile tapeworm) was planning to host a home Tetris contest for his upcoming Housewarming Party, and we are all invited!

Now for the serious business, newcomer @Sumez made a great first impression by winning it all this week with an impressive score of 577,235! Congratulations for this win, it is always a pleasure to have new blood coming in the competition and having success! Sumez win is solid as rock, but it wasn't a walk in the park either, as home general scoreboard leader @bertsampson had a great early Monday start with a score of 570,840. Not only he proved last week that he can draw flawless Tetris picture in Videomation, now he proved that he can actually play Tetris like a beast! Coming next is VGS known Tetris-lover @mbd39 who almost cracked the 500k bar with a score of 499,079. Michael was definitely considered a strong contender to grab one of the highest spot this week, and he delivered the goods. Well done sir!

This week also saw the entrance of VGS Graphics Team staffer @BortLicensePlate into the competition, and he demonstrated that he has shiny Tetris skills by submitting a solid score of 446,569, which is a personal best of his! Way to go man, hope to see you around again! Also sitting in the higher mountains of the general scoreboard, @Bearcat-Doug decided once again to postpone his long awaited mid-season break by breaking the Tetris 400k bar with an excellent score of 407,470! Nicely done Doug! Contest veteran @arnpoly also dropped in to say 'hi' and by the occasion posting a nice score of 301,063. Then comes the 200k score club, with @Splain leading with his 250,603 score, @Tablew/chairs with 212,959 and current VGS NES Puzzle leader @0xDEAFC0DE, despite having to take the infamous 9th place, still showed determination in being a strong contender for the 2020 Puzzle icon with a score of 210,240.

Let's also note that this week we had 6 new players competing in the VGS NES Contest as @ChickenTendas, @fsped09, @CMR and @Makar joined the fun. Always a pleasure to see new members jumping in the competition, we hope to see you getting back at it anytime soon. To finish, we'd like to give special thanks to old timer contest player and Tetris enthusiast @arch_8ngel for coming in and sharing great knowledge of the game and its newest developments in world competition.

As usual, thanks to everyone making the contest a joy machine and see you all in the Kiwi Kraze competition. Also, stay tuned for the upcoming results of the Videomation contest as the deliberation process, which ironically enough took longer than the contest itself, is almost over!

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1
8 hours ago, CMR said:

NES Tetris is one of the worst versions of the game ever made.  Why anyone would still want to play it and/or make a major competition out of it is beyond me.  I never want to do this again.

20200801_230650.jpg

It really is one of the worst ones made. Even tetris.com is better and I never thought I'd say that lol. The game has apparently changed quite a bit. Can't tap a repeatedly until you're ready to place it, can't hold pieces, the pieces are totally random whereas in later ones you get each different piece once all in the first 7 pieces, you can't see the next several pieces in the original Tetris, and probably a couple other things too. It's a very very different game than the one nowadays. They have massively improved this game over the years.

• Like 1
Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Makar said:

It really is one of the worst ones made. Even tetris.com is better and I never thought I'd say that lol. The game has apparently changed quite a bit. Can't tap a repeatedly until you're ready to place it, can't hold pieces, the pieces are totally random whereas in later ones you get each different piece once all in the first 7 pieces, you can't see the next several pieces in the original Tetris, and probably a couple other things too. It's a very very different game than the one nowadays. They have massively improved this game over the years.

*whisper*  Tetris sucks in any form 🤣

• Haha 1
  • BeaIank unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!