IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Tetris

BeaIank

2 minutes ago, Makar said:

Question to which I already know the answer is 99.9999% most likely no. Can I play the tetris.com version and submit my high score from that?

I'm not in charge of the contests, but these are NES contests so the answer is going to be no.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Makar said:

Question to which I already know the answer is 99.9999% most likely no. Can I play the tetris.com version and submit my high score from that?

Considering I cannot get over 200,000 in the NES version, and got like 350,000 (or whatever it was) in the online version without even really trying...

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, Makar said:

This' a big, LOUD, resounding NO!
Find an emulated version of NES Tetris and submit your score from there. With a piece of paper stuck on your monitor showing your user name.

4 minutes ago, Makar said:

Well that's what I figured lol. Alright time to find one online and give it a go. This is my first time even considering participating in a weekly so that's why I asked.

Welcome to the contests, Makar. The more the merrier. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Welcome to the contests, Makar. The more the merrier. 🙂

Gracias! Tetris is one of the few games I can actually get a high score in, well at least the newer versions of Tetris. It's been a long long time since I played the NES version.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Nice. It's great to see another new participant in the contests.

Thanks! I don't think I'll participate in too many, but I'll poke around and see which games interest me. If Dr Mario ever comes up I'm in for that one too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

glad to see u participating @Makar.  I personally have enjoyed this kuz it has expanded my horizon on gameplay and let me play different games I prolly never would have touched otherwise!

Thanks man! Back when I was seeing if people would be interested in other kinds of competitions I looked through the list of weekly games this year and remember seeing this one and thinking I wanted to compete. I'll give it a couple more go's tomorrow and see what I can do. Didn't have too much free time tonight.

• Like 2

I had the week from hell at work and was getting home too exhausted to play much of anything. Crazy fast tetris was not in the cards. Played a bunch today and got a little better. Score updated to 90k on page 4. Its starting to seem more possible to sustain the pace, but my thumb has worn off and this game and beer do not mix

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

This has been really interesting for me. My Tetris skills have been pretty stagnant for a long time. It's served me pretty well over the years to just brute-force my way to a high score. If I don't get a lucky round, abandon it and try again. Given enough attempts, I'll get a series of pieces that meshes really well with my playstyle, and I'll end up with a bangin' score. Wellll, looking at the high scorers in this thread, my approach is going to end up sliding me right out of the top ten. I have to learn new things in order to progress. If my best plan is to "wait for a lucky round," then I suck at Tetris. Sure, unlucky rounds exist, and I'll still sacrifice rounds that give me garbage pieces to start with (first ten pieces are nothing but S's, Z's, and squares) but I'd imagine that if there were a ten-game limit, allowing everyone an absolute maximum of ten attempts to get a high score, there would still be some very impressive scores, and they would definitely not be from me.

I hate the word "hypertapping" though.

13 minutes ago, Splain said:

This has been really interesting for me. My Tetris skills have been pretty stagnant for a long time. It's served me pretty well over the years to just brute-force my way to a high score. If I don't get a lucky round, abandon it and try again. Given enough attempts, I'll get a series of pieces that meshes really well with my playstyle, and I'll end up with a bangin' score. Wellll, looking at the high scorers in this thread, my approach is going to end up sliding me right out of the top ten. I have to learn new things in order to progress. If my best plan is to "wait for a lucky round," then I suck at Tetris. Sure, unlucky rounds exist, and I'll still sacrifice rounds that give me garbage pieces to start with (first ten pieces are nothing but S's, Z's, and squares) but I'd imagine that if there were a ten-game limit, allowing everyone an absolute maximum of ten attempts to get a high score, there would still be some very impressive scores, and they would definitely not be from me.

I hate the word "hypertapping" though.

It should be called "handcramping" 😄