IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

16 hours ago, Rhino said:

It does not take into account another variable which is minorities could be living in more crime ridden areas than white people, therefore they are more likely to be stopped by cops. Could it be racial profiling, sure. Could it not be racial profiling, sure. 

Why? 

All I can take away from this is ‘black people do more crimes and that’s just the way they are.
And, nothing should change about our model of policing.’

Do I misunderstand you? I am seeking clarity.

100% agree that police should be held accountable for their actions.

Also 100% know that police reduce crime - as has been shown numerous times by scholarly research. 

Replacing police with civilian-led "violence prevention group" sounds like a horrible idea to me. 

"Under the bill, cops would be replaced by “community-led activities” and organizations focused on “housing, food security, and other basic needs” along with “culturally-relevant expertise rooted in community connections,”

I have a bad feeling about this...

https://nypost.com/2020/07/31/seattle-city-council-move-to-abolish-police-department-with-new-bill/

Screenshot from 2020-08-02 14-50-25.png

15 hours ago, Link said:

Why? 

All I can take away from this is ‘black people do more crimes and that’s just the way they are.
And, nothing should change about our model of policing.’

Do I misunderstand you? I am seeking clarity.

I'll put it this way. If I'm black and live in a high crime area where the majority population is black, of course black people will be stopped more by police. Their population in said area is higher. If an area is very highly populated by white people but there is almost no crime there, of course very few white people will be stopped by police.

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

100% agree that police should be held accountable for their actions.

Also 100% know that police reduce crime - as has been shown numerous times by scholarly research. 

Replacing police with civilian-led "violence prevention group" sounds like a horrible idea to me. 

"Under the bill, cops would be replaced by “community-led activities” and organizations focused on “housing, food security, and other basic needs” along with “culturally-relevant expertise rooted in community connections,”

I have a bad feeling about this...

https://nypost.com/2020/07/31/seattle-city-council-move-to-abolish-police-department-with-new-bill/

Screenshot from 2020-08-02 14-50-25.png

We all saw how that worked out in CHAZ. Corrupt security force stealing people's phones right off the bat.

Hey! The Real Fascists Are the Ones Getting Arrested off the Street by Unidentified Heavily Armed Military Jack Booted Thugs Lead by an Authoritarian Megalomaniac Leader!

"You trying to silence my bigotry is just the same as rounding us up and shipping us to a camp!"

Posting in this thread since it seems to be relevant.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:48 PM, Doctornick said:

So sorry for the dark turn in advance, but here is a glimpse into a lot of healthcare workers' minds right now (we never admit it).

At first it was almost a celebratory feeling watching case counts and deaths pile up due to sheer ignorance and disregard for obvious truths (Florida and Texas).  Then you see the kids someone left behind, a spouse, etc and that snaps you right back into reality.  The only positive outcome from obvious anti-mask people dying is when it causes others to reflect and realize they were wrong.  Until this country has more than 70% of our citizens wearing masks in public, it could be someone you know in the hospital dying.

Just something to think about when you celebrate someone's death.

I just hope these populations get their shit together and just acknowledge how real covid is.

On a side note,  I'm personally torn about school in the fall. My older two would survive with an online curriculum, but my youngest is on the spectrum and really needs the one on one instruction along with speech therapy. She is to start kindergarten this year. When she was in pre k last year, she greatly benefited from the routine of getting ready and attending school along with all one on one instruction and socialization. While obviously, my wife being an RN in an assisted living facility, the last thing we need is for my youngest to bring home covid, especially considering the facility she works at is concurrently covid free. Still, I worry about my kid's development. It's a lose lose. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, Kguillemette said:

It's a lose lose. 

It really sucks that people have to go through this. I hope you can find a good solution but as you say it doesn’t seem likely. I am continually dismayed and irate that we could be so much better off if action were taken sooner... or at all, in many cases. 

Oh well, “it is what it is.” 

On 8/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, Kguillemette said:

I just hope these populations get their shit together and just acknowledge how real covid is.

On a side note,  I'm personally torn about school in the fall. My older two would survive with an online curriculum, but my youngest is on the spectrum and really needs the one on one instruction along with speech therapy. She is to start kindergarten this year. When she was in pre k last year, she greatly benefited from the routine of getting ready and attending school along with all one on one instruction and socialization. While obviously, my wife being an RN in an assisted living facility, the last thing we need is for my youngest to bring home covid, especially considering the facility she works at is concurrently covid free. Still, I worry about my kid's development. It's a lose lose. 

my 4 year old... she is developing so quick. she needs school and social with other kids.... i cant send her back though...

I figured once things settle down a bit, Hezbollah will of course somehow blame Israel and the USA. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-05/beirut-explosion-hezbollah-will-not-escape-blame-for-blast

Most Lebanese will assume the ammonium nitrate belonged to the militia, for use in Syria and against Israel...Hezbollah finds itself uncomfortably positioned as the principal backer of the government presiding over a thoroughgoing collapse of the Lebanese state and society. It will not easily shake off blame for the Beirut blast, or for the Hariri assassination. Even in this country that has suffered so much and for so long, the latest of Lebanon’s tragedies will not soon be forgotten, nor its perpetrators forgiven.

Screenshot from 2020-08-05 17-28-26.png

2 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Anyone watch the George Floyd bodycam footage? Going to be really difficult to pin murder on those cops, and I can only imagine the backlash if they walk. 

Side note: Anybody still think there was any racist component to the situation?

Yeah just reinforces everything IMO. Just like everything in life in our judicial system.... if you were apart of it they consider you guilty. Now will two or three of them get found not guilty, maybe, but I’m sure at sometime or another they will find out the cop who actually killed him had past history with him that was the driver to his action. Can’t tell me you don’t remember someone face that worked with a year at a club....

7 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:
14 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Anyone watch the George Floyd bodycam footage? Going to be really difficult to pin murder on those cops, and I can only imagine the backlash if they walk. 

Side note: Anybody still think there was any racist component to the situation?

Yeah just reinforces everything IMO. Just like everything in life in our judicial system.... if you were apart of it they consider you guilty. Now will two or three of them get found not guilty, maybe, but I’m sure at sometime or another they will find out the cop who actually killed him had past history with him that was the driver to his action. Can’t tell me you don’t remember someone face that worked with a year at a club....

It'd still be hard to prove intent, even if they knew of each other (which I don't recall hearing any comments from anyone on scene about their knowledge of each other). That plus the fact that it'll be hard to even prove that Chauvin knew he was killing George with that knee (especially with conflicting autopsy reports around cause of death).  The fact that the cops were not aggressive to start, tried to deescalate many times, and George was complaining about not being able to breathe before asking to lay down on the ground isn't going to help the charges stick either. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

It'd still be hard to prove intent, even if they knew of each other (which I don't recall hearing any comments from anyone on scene about their knowledge of each other). That plus the fact that it'll be hard to even prove that Chauvin knew he was killing George with that knee (especially with conflicting autopsy reports around cause of death).  The fact that the cops were not aggressive to start, tried to deescalate many times, and George was complaining about not being able to breathe before asking to lay down on the ground isn't going to help the charges stick either. 

In Minnesota second-degree murder under their law, does not require proof of his intent to kill. They have to prove a felony took place. Unlike most other states, Minnesota law allows prosecutors to charge felony murder (2nd degree) using assault as the predicate crime. 

Edited by Mr. CIB

12 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

In Minnesota second-degree murder under their law, does not require proof of his intent to kill. They have to prove a felony took place. Unlike most other states, Minnesota law allows prosecutors to charge felony murder (2nd degree) using assault as the predicate crime. 

I'm no lawyer, but I still believe they have to prove the intent to commit a felony that resulted in death.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I'm no lawyer, but I still believe they have to prove the intent to commit a felony that resulted in death.

The key in the statue is the officer intended to commit physical harm, which is a felony thus why the DA felt comfortable adding 2nd degree. It will be cut and dry for 1 officer... the others not so much.

3 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

The key in the statue is the officer intended to commit physical harm, which is a felony thus why the DA felt comfortable adding 2nd degree. It will be cut and dry for 1 officer... the others not so much.

He is the state Attorney General. Im not sure it was a comfort level as much as he bumped it to 2nd degree due to the public outcry. From my understanding doing so doesn't remove the 3rd degree charge, so there wasn't really anything to lose.

15 minutes ago, B.A. said:

He is the state Attorney General. Im not sure it was a comfort level as much as he bumped it to 2nd degree due to the public outcry. From my understanding doing so doesn't remove the 3rd degree charge, so there wasn't really anything to lose.

Correct, the state Attorney General (typing DA an unintentional error, thanks for pointing that out) The AG joined with the DA charging the other three with aiding & abetting. 

Oh well will make for an interesting case whenever it goes to trial.

12 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:
13 hours ago, B.A. said:

Probably still hard to prove he intended to commit physical harm. The location of his knee is/was an approved tactic for Minneapolis PD (not saying it should have been applied for that long once George was properly restrained)

14 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

@Californication What's your confusion?