IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

On 7/26/2020 at 8:37 PM, Link said:

Closest I can find, Illinois.

via https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/reportsandstatistics/Pages/Prison-Population-Data-Sets.aspx

And to the next question, are all people who commit crimes arrested?

Let’s say for the sake of argument that the answer is yes, despite comprising only 30% of the overall population. Why then are 82 (or whatever)% of arrests of black people? That’s disproportionate.

How many of whoever wind up at a police torture site where documentation is scarce at best, is a compound effect.

Why are black people arrested and imprisoned at a higher rate per 100,000 than white people?

If you commit a serious crime, you should be arrested. If a certain group actually commits more crimes than other groups, that that's reality, not racism. Now if you're asking what led to a certain group "having" to resort to crime, leading to higher crime rates by a certain group, that's another discussion that probably is from historical racism's effects still being felt, as well as other components including drug use and lack of wealth. There is definitely a dark figure of crime where not everything is reported, however, I would caution anyone who says all police organizations have systemic racism. Perhaps a small percentage of officers are systemically racist, but not everyone. You can't blame all societal problems on current systemic racism. History plays a part and the effects of the past still linger. Why don't certain groups have as much wealth? Well, maybe it's because they couldn't own property for hundreds of years and couldn't pass anything down to their kids. Maybe it isn't because all cops out there are racists pricks. We need to stop this death to cops rhetoric. They're not evil. They protect you and die in the line of duty (far too often too). Maybe show some more respect for your military too because guess what, they do the same thing. They protect your @$$ every day. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Rhino said:

If you commit a serious crime, you should be arrested. If a certain group actually commits more crimes than other groups, that that's reality, not racism. Now if you're asking what led to a certain group "having" to resort to crime, leading to higher crime rates by a certain group, that's another discussion that probably is from historical racism's effects still being felt, as well as other components including drug use and lack of wealth. There is definitely a dark figure of crime where not everything is reported, however, I would caution anyone who says all police organizations have systemic racism. Perhaps a small percentage of officers are systemically racist, but not everyone. You can't blame all societal problems on current systemic racism. History plays a part and the effects of the past still linger. Why don't certain groups have as much wealth? Well, maybe it's because they couldn't own property for hundreds of years and couldn't pass anything down to their kids. Maybe it isn't because all cops out there are racists pricks. We need to stop this death to cops rhetoric. They're not evil. They protect you and die in the line of duty (far too often too). Maybe show some more respect for your military too because guess what, they do the same thing. They protect your @$$ every day. 

Its awesome that you argued for and against the idea that systemic racism exists in the same argument.  Kudos!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Thats one of my favorites. Fox News and the republicans Are legit hipsters (speaking of hipsters)-

pearl Clutching since before it was the cool SJW thing to do. 

I have gone on record as saying once upon a time it was the radical Christian fundamentalists (doesn't sound like very much fun to me 😞 ) who were the pearl clutchers who tried to censor free speech.  Though the ones who started the whole video game censorship/moral panic was in fact liberal D's (Tipper Gore and Joe Lieberman).

I'm so glad I never became a parent of humans...I shudder to think I could've become one of those annoying nags wanting to ruin people's fun. 😛 

5 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Best thing I saw today was somebody selling a nice functional grade of mask with the slogan "this mask is useless" emblazoned on it for that crowd to wear "ironically"... while still tricking them into doing something helpful.

As Crocodile Dundee would say, that's not a useless mask...

THIS is a useless mask! 😄   Um, please pay no attention to where she's from...

Edited by Estil

16 hours ago, B.A. said:

Keep on preaching that message of tolerance brother! 

Find one example where I said I was tolerant or preaching tolerance.... I'll wait. 

Fuck tolerance. I don't tolerate people who are racist (well, I guess I do on this board, LOL), who are homophobic, sexist, etc. I think that is pretty clear from my posts so I don't know where  you got tolerant from.

I don't judge people based on their race, sex, orientation, etc. I do judge them on their stupid fucking opinions. My position is clear.

11 hours ago, Rhino said:

All you clowns laughing at people dying from COVID-19 or thinking people deserve it need to grow the f*ck up.

No one here is laughing at someone dying. Herman Cain was an anti-masker, then he caught the virus, and died. It's fucking sad but if he didn't ignore science in favor of his fucked politics he'd probably still be alive. That's all we are pointing out. 

Simple. Actions have consequences. Don't wear a mask, maybe contract the virus and die.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

"Police brutality, over use of force, and arresting on bogus charges.... all of this used on peaceful citizens protesting RACISM" =/= Systemic Racism

Says the guy who denies systemic racism exists. 

15 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Didn't mask and died? = Deserving

Idk if deserving is the right word but if you ignore the science and encourage people to not wear a mask, and then contract the virus and die, well.... deserving? idk. But it fucking makes sense.

15 hours ago, Estil said:

Even though Darren Wilson was cleared completely of wrongdoing once we found out what really happened.  But they don't care about ruining an innocent man's life.

Cleared by a system engulfed in racism, which was proven by the Justice Department. Racist system says man wasn't racist. Hmm. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:
17 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

"Police brutality, over use of force, and arresting on bogus charges.... all of this used on peaceful citizens protesting RACISM" =/= Systemic Racism

Says the guy who denies systemic racism exists. 

Whether I personally deny it or not, nothing you said of the situation reflects systemic racism. 

16 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Didn't mask and died? = Deserving

Idk if deserving is the right word but if you ignore the science and encourage people to not wear a mask, and then contract the virus and die, well.... deserving? idk. But it fucking makes sense.

It does make sense. I was just pointing out that you dismissed that same logic when discussing the Michael Brown case. If you commit a crime, ignore police commands, attack an officer and attempt to take his weapon, you get shot. "Fucking makes sense", right?

Edited by Silent Hill

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Find one example where I said I was tolerant or preaching tolerance.... I'll wait. 

Fuck tolerance. I don't tolerate people who are racist (well, I guess I do on this board, LOL), who are homophobic, sexist, etc. I think that is pretty clear from my posts so I don't know where  you got tolerant from.

I don't judge people based on their race, sex, orientation, etc. I do judge them on their stupid fucking opinions. My position is clear.

Fuck tolerance? Racism and intolerance go hand in hand.  Racists are by definition intolerant.  This is why your method of screaming doesn't work. If someone doesn't see the world exactly as you do they have "stupid fucking opinions". You might not see yourself as THE problem you railing against, but your type of mindset most certainly is A problem.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Fuck tolerance? Racism and intolerance go hand in hand.  Racists are by definition intolerant.  This is why your method of screaming doesn't work. If someone doesn't see the world exactly as you do they have "stupid fucking opinions". You might not see yourself as THE problem you railing against, but your type of mindset most certainly is A problem.  

It is the paradox of tolerating intolerance allows the intolerance to spread until it is the majority behavior.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is the paradox of tolerating intolerance allows the intolerance to spread until it is the majority behavior.

That sounds cute and all, but it makes for a convenient wall to hide behind.  That allows a person to dig in and say everyone who doesn't see things exactly their way is just a racist.  At that point there is no room for intelligent discourse and just leads to the huge divides we find ourselves with today.  Nothing gets accomplished, no progress is made.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, B.A. said:

That sounds cute and all, but it makes for a convenient wall to hide behind.  That allows a person to dig in and say everyone who doesn't see things exactly their way is just a racist.  At that point there is no room for intelligent discourse and just leads to the huge divides we find ourselves with today.  Nothing gets accomplished, no progress is made.  

I'm not disagreeing with you. But it is a legitimate phenomenon, and it cuts both ways.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Racism and intolerance go hand in hand.

I don't tolerate racism (except when mods allow it on this board obviously).

Racists are by definition intolerant. 

Agreed but intolerant people are not by definition racists.

This is why your method of screaming doesn't work. If someone doesn't see the world exactly as you do they have "stupid fucking opinions".

I never said that and it's not my mindset. That is your assumption of me and it is false. Being racist is fucking stupid though.

You might not see yourself as THE problem you railing against, but your type of mindset most certainly is A problem.  

I could not care less if people are upset that I refuse to tolerate racists. Call it a problem if you want to.

33 minutes ago, B.A. said:

That sounds cute and all, but it makes for a convenient wall to hide behind.

Not hiding anything.

That allows a person to dig in and say everyone who doesn't see things exactly their way is just a racist. 

I never said that. I simply call racists racist, and I call out people who are perpetuating racism, whether they intend to or not. Once again, my stance has not changed.

At that point there is no room for intelligent discourse and just leads to the huge divides we find ourselves with today. 

So to be clear, you are saying the person who does not agree with the racists is leading to the divide. Yes, I will divide myself from racists. No guilt. 

Nothing gets accomplished, no progress is made.  

You really think I'm trying to make progress on a video game message board? lol. I learned long ago none of these people are gonna change there minds no matter what facts, patterns of evidence, etc are put in front of them. I'm not trying to change a souls mind here. I'm here for fun. The mental gymnastics some of these board members perform are extremely amusing.

Get off your high horse.

Edited by CodysGameRoom

2 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

a bunch of stuff, half of which wasn't quoted at him but he took it as if it were.

"Fuck this, fuck that" "this and that person should die". The long and short of it is that you come off as the most hateful person here. You aren't trying to convince anyone or fight the good fight, then mission accomplished. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, B.A. said:

"Fuck this, fuck that" "this and that person should die". The long and short of it is that you come off as the most hateful person here. You aren't trying to convince anyone or fight the good fight, then mission accomplished. 

Adult use cuss word, he bad man! 

Got it. 

The long and short of it is that you come off as the most hateful person here.

Stop hating hate haters. 😉

Edited by CodysGameRoom

Administrator · Posted

@CodysGameRoom As a democrat/liberal/often-accused SJW myself, who agrees with you on most issues, I have to admit that the aggressiveness and cynicism/sarcasm with which you present yourself here, actually discourages me from wanting to be here and discuss these things.  If you're not here to change minds, then all you are doing is ranting and stirring up fights with people.  And that makes people like me, and others, avoid these threads and topics because of the negativity and constant fighting. 

Many people have proven the ability to firmly declare their thoughts and ideas here without resorting to such aggressiveness, and it doesn't mean they care less about these issues or aren't as passionate.  Please be reasonable.  

You and others have obviously been given TONS of latitude here in very openly expressing views against racism and fighting it, and I want to continue to see that.  No one wants to oppress views against racism.  

It seems your time would be better spent doing productive things that actually DO influence people or change minds, if that is what you want to do.  The vitriol on all sides needs to stop.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

I have to admit that the aggressiveness and cynicism/sarcasm with which you present yourself here, actually discourages me from wanting to be here and discuss these things.

Sorry you guys don't like my personality. I'm not losing any sleep over it if it makes you guys feel better.

If you're not here to change minds, then all you are doing is ranting and stirring up fights with people.

Who is changing anyone's mind here? Find me one example of anyone more "level-headed" (lol) than me changing someone's mind on something here. Be realistic.

And that makes people like me, and others, avoid these threads and topics because of the negativity and constant fighting. 

If my opinions aren't welcome please tell me to stop sharing them and I'll do so.

Many people have proven the ability to firmly declare their thoughts and ideas here without resorting to such aggressiveness

Cursing is not against the site rules. I haven't called anyone a mother fucker. I've said fuck. That's in my daily lingo. I curse. I'm a human being. If you do not want me cursing on the forum please tell me not to directly and I'll stop. I'd expect everyone else to cease as well.

No one wants to oppress views against racism.  

Mods here do it daily by allowing members to post their thinly veiled racist opinions with no recourse. But it's ok because they were "civil" I guess. 🙄

It seems your time would be better spent doing productive things that actually DO influence people or change minds, if that is what you want to do.

I do plenty of that outside of this video game message board. I'm not gonna break my back trying to convince Silent Hill that systemic racism exists when literally no proof could ever be enough.

The vitriol on all sides needs to stop.

If saying "fuck" is considered vitriol then tell me to stop cursing. If defending myself against accusations of being a hypocrite is vitriol then tell me I can't do it. I can't seem to find an example in this thread where I was vitriolic towards anyone else. 

Sorry you guys don't like me cursing here. The fact that I do doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than any of yours, and it doesn't make any of you better than me. 

You guys want me gone so you can have your civil little discussions and shake hands with the racists and sexists around here, just say the word. 

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Mods here do it daily by allowing members to post their thinly veiled racist opinions with no recourse. But it's ok because they were "civil" I guess. 🙄

Just gonna jump in quick to say that this is not true. We've issued warnings multiple times (official ones). Get too many and you're banned. There's a system in place.

Just because you report something and we don't say anything publicly or outright ban the person doesn't mean that nothing is being done. The outcome of a report isn't typically shared back with the person who reported it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Just gonna jump in quick to say that this is not true. We've issues warnings multiple times (official ones). Get too many and you're banned. There's a system in place.

Just because you report something and we don't say anything publicly or outright ban the person doesn't mean that nothing is being done. The outcome of a report isn't typically shared back with the person who reported it.

Fair enough.

14 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Who is changing anyone's mind here? Find me one example of anyone more "level-headed" (lol) than me changing someone's mind on something here. Be realistic.

That is the part that you don't get.  Just because a couple of people who are the active posters in this thread are never going to change their mind doesn't mean that no one else is reading this. I agree with you that you aren't going to get some folks in this thread to ever type the phrase "you are right", but screaming labels like racist and sexist and being all bombastic just turns anyone that you could possibly reach off.  Even though this is just a "video game message board", I assure you there are open minds here as well.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, B.A. said:

That is the part that you don't get.  Just because a couple of people who are the active posters in this thread are never going to change their mind doesn't mean that no one else is reading this. I agree with you that you aren't going to get some folks in this thread to ever type the phrase "you are right", but screaming labels like racist and sexist and being all bombastic just turns anyone that you could possibly reach off.  Even though this is just a "video game message board", I assure you there are open minds here as well.  

Ok, I'll give you that. When I respond directly to someone, I am usually considering only that direct person with the reply. So you have made a fair point here and I'll consider it going forward.

I'll still call out racism, sexism, homophobia, etc when I see it though. To be clear, I have commented on member's opinions and perspectives and called them like I see them, but I have not "labeled" anyone here a full fledged racist, sexist etc. I don't know these people well enough to do so. I can only comment on when I see posted here.