IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

19 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

True! No one should be able to buy a gun and walk out with it same day ... with the caveat being that if they’re already gun owners then I think that rule shouldn’t really apply.

a lot of 2A folks often quote the “shall not be infringed” portion while also ignoring “well regulated”

NJ has some seriously strong regulations and while they’re a hassle, I think they’re a good mode. But something as strict in NJ will never pass the smell test in a place like Kentucky, or Alabama.

Its a complex issue that definitely requires attention, but even then we have to remember that it’s not the weapon that kills people, it’s the person behind it...a Prius can kill more people in a crowd than a pistol can in 5 seconds... but a gun is a tool that’s only purpose is to kill.

I feel more people than not are that way as well, but it’s a silent Super majority.

Also...to be totally honest, I’m not sure if I have any gay friends, at least any openly ones. Just using political hot topics for illustration.

I wish it was much more similar to a drivers license (but more difficult) Once you pass the test, you can buy some base models. Want to carry concealed? You have to get the next license level up, which requires more competency and training. 

6 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I wish it was much more similar to a drivers license (but more difficult) Once you pass the test, you can buy some base models. Want to carry concealed? You have to get the next license level up, which requires more competency and training. 

My ideal system:

1. You must pass an anonymous psychological evaluation test. (To prevent racial bias)
  2. You must pass a basic shooters marksmanship course with at least (X) amount of hours. (Only thing more dangerous than a gun is one with a poor shot behind it)
  3. You must pass a safety course.
  4. You must be sponsored by at least two or more current gun owners who are willing to risk their license for you. They cannot be family or household members.
  5. You must provide your immediate neighbors documentation that there is a firearm in your home, but no need to know the quantity or type.
  6. You must inform your local police office about any and all firearms in your home.
  7. Guns must be locked away and unloaded at all times in your home, business, or during transport.
  8. 30 day minimum wait for first time gun buyers after initial purchase.
  9. Additional 30 days for ammunition brought outside the shooting range for first time buyers.
  10. Proof of an approved safe or storage purchase must be supplied to the seller before release to the owner for first time buyers.
  11. Guns cannot be sold, traded, or Inherited without documentation provided to the new owners local police department, save for a few exceptions for vintage collector firearms or the next rule.
  12. Anyone 18 or older can purchase a gun at any time with or without a license but it must be stored at a shooting range, or local police department in a locker rented by you until fully cleared and documented....this satisfies 2A IMO
  13. All firearm owners must carry liability insurance attached to their guns for the event that they are used maliciously. Each firearm requires its own policy.

I see little difference when it comes to open or conceal carry though.

Also, many firearms can be modded without something as simple as a rubber band to become semi automatic...so I don’t think there should be “levels” of a firearm license.

Rule 4 can be an entire industry as well. I’d imagine that a business interested in selling you a gun would also want to make sure you’re capable of carrying one. They should be willing to risk their license to sell you one.

Lastly, there are probably a ton of cases where exceptions should be made but I can’t think of them all in one sitting (or possibly ever really since I’m not a lawyer)

Like it or not, weapons are a RIGHT granted to American citizens. They’re so important to our culture that they’re the second rule written in our constitution, RIGHT AFTER the right to say whatever the heck you want...but our forefathers had the amazing foresight to say W E L L. R E G U L A T E D.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sidney-powell-wants-dominion-suit-tossed-on-the-grounds-that-what-she-was-saying-was-too-stupid-to-be-believable/ar-BB1eQGPk?ocid=msedgdhp

Sidney Powell Wants Dominion Suit Tossed on the Grounds That What She Was Saying Was Too Stupid to be Believable

This reminds me of what happened to Alex Jones a few years ago. He was trying to get custody of his kids, and his ex-wife's lawyers showed excerpts from his show where he spewed about Sandy Hook being staged and other nonsense. His lawyers tried to steer into the skid and say he was merely a "performance artist." (He promptly torpedoed that strategy on his show, saying he was for real. Shockingly, he lost the custody battle.) Tucker Carlson also used that defense, and he actually prevailed.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

I think Powell is in a similar, but more dangerous, position (she can't claim to be a licensed attorney that can present evidence to a court AND be a performance artist who can say it's only an opinion.) At this point, her only hope is saying that the people who believed her nonsense are not the ones in any position to potentially buy or use Dominion voting machines; in other words, morons who don't vote.

Edited by Tulpa

16 hours ago, Californication said:

@silenthill,

So you believe the killer was a sex addict and had mental illness and and at the same time you believe what he says is objectively accurate? 

I mean I guess this gives me a better understanding of why you follow Donald Trump.

There were multiple domestic terrorist attacks where the perpetrator said they weren't republican/conservative and that ended up being false. 

And just fyi regarding your other post about the media misrepresenting Trump. I do agree with that statement at times. I disagree with the example of injecting bleach. That was one of the most eye opening, on camera from beginning to end, dumbest thing Trump ever said. 

He literally didn't understand the difference between cleaning surfaces and what could be used in the human body. He was 100% serious. If you can't tell he was serious, bless your heart.

I'm not saying I wholeheartedly believe exactly why he said he did it, but he's clearly insane, so that reasoning isn't outside of the realm of possibility. I just don't have this constant urge to tie this crime back to a political party/person(s) or racism like some do. At best, nobody truly knows at this point so we have to assume that the current motive is accurate until other evidence is presented that points to a different motive. 

Not sure what you're getting at by saying that I "follow" Trump. Just an insult attempt? 

Trump's whole comment, even in context, was definitely uneducated at best. I don't believe for a second that he actually knew what he was rambling about, even if he thought he did. He just didn't flat out say to or suggest that others "inject bleach" which was the only point I was trying to make. It was reported as if he straight up told people to go out and do that and that there was some large swath of people doing it when in reality there was probably less than 50 people in the Country who were stupid enough to actually attempt it. To be fair, it was low-hanging fruit for the Media to jump on.  

16 hours ago, Californication said:

@silenthill,

So you believe the killer was a sex addict and had mental illness and and at the same time you believe what he says is objectively accurate? 

Reading more about that situation, and knowing what I do of the area it happened, it isn't that hard to believe it was primarily an attack on sex workers, and the racism-element was more baked-into the idea that "rub-and-tug" massage parlors in Atlanta are going to be worked by Asian women.

As convenient as it is to point at racism as an initial apparent motive -- there are plenty of weirdos out there with sex-related hang-ups.

17 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

It’s the entire reason Why Southern states rank the lowest in schooling and wealth. - If that's the entire reason, then why is there so much poverty and educational issues in historically Democratic cities? I'd think with how "correct" the Democratic party is, that this wouldn't be the case. Those cities must face different challenges than Southern cities/states since their political party/media has no responsibility for their downfall?

Keep your constituents dumb, poor and unhealthy, and they will take whatever you give them. Get them to hate liberals for whatever reason and you can convince them to vote against their own best interests. - This definitely goes both ways. Swap "liberals" for "republicans" and you're describing the Democratic party. I mean, clearly the Democratic party is just as good at getting Democrats to hate Republicans and there's plenty of "dumb, poor and unhealthy" Democratic voters who take whatever they're given.

25 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Reading more about that situation, and knowing what I do of the area it happened, it isn't that hard to believe it was primarily an attack on sex workers, and the racism-element was more baked-into the idea that "rub-and-tug" massage parlors in Atlanta are going to be worked by Asian women.

As convenient as it is to point at racism as an initial apparent motive -- there are plenty of weirdos out there with sex-related hang-ups.

There are also prostitutes and strip clubs which could have been targeted. And some of the businesses seem like they could have been legitimate like the one where a husband and wife were getting individual massages and killer happened to go into the wifes room and murder her.

44 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I'm not saying I wholeheartedly believe exactly why he said he did it, but he's clearly insane, so that reasoning isn't outside of the realm of possibility. I just don't have this constant urge to tie this crime back to a political party/person(s) or racism like some do. At best, nobody truly knows at this point so we have to assume that the current motive is accurate until other evidence is presented that points to a different motive. 

Not sure what you're getting at by saying that I "follow" Trump. Just an insult attempt? 

Trump's whole comment, even in context, was definitely uneducated at best. I don't believe for a second that he actually knew what he was rambling about, even if he thought he did. He just didn't flat out say to or suggest that others "inject bleach" which was the only point I was trying to make. It was reported as if he straight up told people to go out and do that and that there was some large swath of people doing it when in reality there was probably less than 50 people in the Country who were stupid enough to actually attempt it. To be fair, it was low-hanging fruit for the Media to jump on.  

They slightly exagerrated by saying inject.

You could tell he went into a meeting and someone explained to him how they were using uv light and disinfectants to clean surfaces. And he thought to himself, why don't we use that for people too. And he is so stupid that he truely suggested that on live television. 

You are complaining that they said inject. How many ways can you get disinfectant into your body? You ingest it or inject it. 

I say you follow Trump because you follow his party line messages and are even now defending him, when what he said is indefensible.

19 minutes ago, Californication said:

There are also prostitutes and strip clubs which could have been targeted. And some of the businesses seem like they could have been legitimate like the one where a husband and wife were getting individual massages and killer happened to go into the wifes room and murder her.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't at least "casual" racism associated with the killer's assumptions about the types of establishments he was attacking.

But I do think this looks much more of an intent to violence against presumed sex workers, than against Asian women in general.  (having lived in Atlanta, being familiar with where certain concentrations of certain demographics live, and knowing that there are WAY denser targets for generic racist violence against Asians, if that was the primary motivator)

Not every murderer that is a white guy that lives in the deep south is overtly racially motivated.

At some point you're going to need to accept that your apparent assumptions on that front are flawed.

Edited by arch_8ngel

12 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'm not suggesting that there isn't at least "casual" racism associated with the killer's assumptions about the types of establishments he was attacking.

But I do think this looks much more of an intent to violence against presumed sex workers, than against Asian women in general.  (having lived in Atlanta, being familiar with where certain concentrations of certain demographics live, and knowing that there are WAY denser targets for generic racist violence against Asians, if that was the primary motivator)

Not every murderer that is a white guy that lives in the deep south is overtly racially motivated.

At some point you're going to need to accept that your apparent assumptions on that front are flawed.

I didn't say anything about him being white or from the south.

I said that this is one data point in the objective and measurable increase in violence against asians across the country 

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

Since I have a few minutes, 

1) systemic racism I suppose.  And I bet the worst schools in south central LA or the bronx are still better than the worst in Mississippi.  I went to a great public school, that was less than 40% white.

2)I disagree 100%. Tell me what is the liberal equivalent to Tucker Carlson’s racist nightly fear mongering. 
When was the last time the left wing tried to overthrow democracy on a democratic presidents command? When did 70% of democratic house reps vote to overthrow a valid election over lies? Lies that were disproven over 60 lawsuits?

And dont say BLM protests, because I am starting to not believe Antifa actually exists, its all right wing provocateurs paid by conservative dark money groups- Heritage foundation, mercers, etc. to give easily impressionable conservatives something to hate. Plus never did they try to interfere with congress performing their duty. 

Arent the majority of Trump supporters “Un-educated” white males?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Californication said:

They slightly exagerrated by saying inject.

You could tell he went into a meeting and someone explained to him how they were using uv light and disinfectants to clean surfaces. And he thought to himself, why don't we use that for people too. And he is so stupid that he truely suggested that on live television. 

You are complaining that they said inject. How many ways can you get disinfectant into your body? You ingest it or inject it. 

I say you follow Trump because you follow his party line messages and are even now defending him, when what he said is indefensible.

How am I defending him? His whole spiel that day was idiotic and anyone who actually attempted to use a household cleaner in that fashion by loosely translating what he was attempting to describe is even more idiotic. 

I'm not even complaining about the term "inject", just used it as a random example of intentional misquoting by the media, which was the initial topic/point. Anyone with half a brain, regardless of political affiliation would know that he was just talking out of his ass, per usual.  

Trump says dumb shit all the time, including the dialog we're discussing, and will continue to do so until the end of his time. Feel better?

PS: I found the transcript of that statement and maybe it's just me, but I'm failing to see where he "suggested" that people use bleach, or other household cleaners on themselves. I read it as how you described: He had conversations with medical professionals on this topic and tried his hardest to pull together a coherent statement in real time. The shit below barely even makes sense the more I read it. lol

A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting, right? And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful. Steve, please.

3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

1) systemic racism I suppose.  And I bet the worst schools in south central LA or the bronx are still better than the worst in Mississippi.  I went to a great public school, that was less than 40% white.

I'll admit I kind of stopped reading after this point because it seemed to unravel into other topics that aren't really related to my comments.

At a glance though, I'll let you take the win on Tucker Carlson keeping republicans poor, dumb and unhealthy. I'll also give you the W on Antifa not existing and the BLM riots being perpetuated by impressionable conservatives who were funded to wreak havoc. 

To the above though, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why systemic racism is only (or primarily) impacting schools in Democratic areas and not in Red areas. I'd assume the South would have a greater potential for racism. How about the recent story about the kid in Baltimore who was in the top half of his class with a .13 GPA? Surely he wasn't bogged down by "right wing misinformation", right? Surely its just a shit school with no resources failing those kids.

4 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

How am I defending him? His whole spiel that day was idiotic and anyone who actually attempted to use a household cleaner in that fashion by loosely translating what he was attempting to describe is even more idiotic. 

I'm not even complaining about the term "inject", just used it as a random example of intentional misquoting by the media, which was the initial topic/point. Anyone with half a brain, regardless of political affiliation would know that he was just talking out of his ass, per usual.  

Trump says dumb shit all the time, including the dialog we're discussing, and will continue to do so until the end of his time. Feel better?

PS: I found the transcript of that statement and maybe it's just me, but I'm failing to see where he "suggested" that people use bleach, or other household cleaners on themselves. I read it as how you described: He had conversations with medical professionals on this topic and tried his hardest to pull together a coherent statement in real time. The shit below barely even makes sense the more I read it. lol

A question that probably some of you are thinking of if you’re totally into that world, which I find to be very interesting. So, supposedly we hit the body with a tremendous, whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light, and I think you said that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it. And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that too. Sounds interesting, right? And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful. Steve, please.

Omg that is worse than I remember. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

I'll admit I kind of stopped reading after this point because it seemed to unravel into other topics that aren't really related to my comments.

At a glance though, I'll let you take the win on Tucker Carlson keeping republicans poor, dumb and unhealthy. I'll also give you the W on Antifa not existing and the BLM riots being perpetuated by impressionable conservatives who were funded to wreak havoc. 

To the above though, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why systemic racism is only (or primarily) impacting schools in Democratic areas and not in Red areas. I'd assume the South would have a greater potential for racism. How about the recent story about the kid in Baltimore who was in the top half of his class with a .13 GPA? Surely he wasn't bogged down by "right wing misinformation", right? Surely its just a shit school with no resources failing those kids.

You are right. I think the systemic racism keeping schools in the south shitty is even worse. Republican led states are even more open about it. They even have black/white only proms still lol. 

Have you ever been to Baltimore? Its a rough place, especially the inner city. Bet it sucks just like any other inner city school attended by primarily minority students.

In todays day and age, Its far more important for Jeff Bezos to have 80 trillion dollars, than it is for underprivileged kids to have books or teachers to have manageable class sizes. 

Some Public schools can suck because rich people and republicans convince their own voters that things like trickle down economics work, and all taxes are socialism. 

And the right wing missinformation isnt aimed  at school age children, that just gets filtered down from the parents. But I dont think many black/latino/minority families watch fox news so if its an “inner city” kid, they probably arent exposed to it anyways. 

7 hours ago, Tulpa said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sidney-powell-wants-dominion-suit-tossed-on-the-grounds-that-what-she-was-saying-was-too-stupid-to-be-believable/ar-BB1eQGPk?ocid=msedgdhp

Sidney Powell Wants Dominion Suit Tossed on the Grounds That What She Was Saying Was Too Stupid to be Believable

This reminds me of what happened to Alex Jones a few years ago. He was trying to get custody of his kids, and his ex-wife's lawyers showed excerpts from his show where he spewed about Sandy Hook being staged and other nonsense. His lawyers tried to steer into the skid and say he was merely a "performance artist." (He promptly torpedoed that strategy on his show, saying he was for real. Shockingly, he lost the custody battle.) Tucker Carlson also used that defense, and he actually prevailed.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

I think Powell is in a similar, but more dangerous, position (she can't claim to be a licensed attorney that can present evidence to a court AND be a performance artist who can say it's only an opinion.) At this point, her only hope is saying that the people who believed her nonsense are not the ones in any position to potentially buy or use Dominion voting machines; in other words, morons who don't vote.

So the Kraken.........Cracked?

• Like 1

Just now, MrWunderful said:

You are right. I think the systemic racism keeping schools in the south shitty is even worse. Republican led states are even more open about it. They even have black/white only proms still lol. 

Have you ever been to Baltimore? Its a rough place, especially the inner city. Bet it sucks just like any other inner city school attended by primarily minority students.

In todays day and age, Its far more important for Jeff Bezos to have 80 trillion dollars, than it is for underprivileged kids to have books or teachers to have manageable class sizes. 

Some Public schools can suck because rich people and republicans convince their own voters that things like trickle down economics work, and all taxes are socialism. 

And the right wing missinformation isnt aimed  at school age children, that just gets filtered down from the parents. But I dont think many black/latino/minority families watch fox news so if its an “inner city” kid, they probably arent exposed to it anyways. 

I know in California property taxes are somehow a large contributor to money that goes into schools. So where I was from in Monterey my school was decent, but nothing like if you drive 20 min to Carmel Valley -  more teacher per student, technology, facilities, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Californication said:

I know in California property taxes are somehow a large contributor to money that goes into schools. So where I was from in Monterey my school was decent, but nothing like if you drive 20 min to Carmel Valley -  more teacher per student, technology, facilities, etc. 

Correct. My Father worked for a local high school district for 35 years, You end up voting on “Bond measures” that will raise your property tax in order to fund it. I think you can vote on it to raise other types of taxes too. 

Last year we paid 10k in property tax 😖. But my old high school got 35$ million in early 2000s (after I graduated, or course) and it made the school significantly better so I am ok with it. 

Correct. My Father worked for a local high school district for 35 years, You end up voting on “Bond measures” that will raise your property tax in order to fund it. I think you can vote on it to raise other types of taxes too. 

Last year we paid 10k in property tax 😖. But my old high school got 35$ million in early 2000s (after I graduated, or course) and it made the school significantly better so I am ok with it.