IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Police Arrested 120 Anti-Racism Protesters in Omaha, and Barely Anyone’s Talking About It

This is what is going on in my city. Stop telling me there's no systemic racism in the Police Departments. My community is literally living it.

Not sure what part of this is systemic racism, just looks like overuse of force. 

10 minutes ago, Californication said:

Ha. Herman Cain died from Corona virus. Call me cold blooded, he got what he deserved, promoting not wearing a mask by running around without one. Now if this could just move a little further up the ladder.

I’m not gonna lie.  I laughed.  Nein, nein, nein!

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, Californication said:

Ha. Herman Cain died from Corona virus. Call me cold blooded, he got what he deserved, promoting not wearing a mask by running around without one. Now if this could just move a little further up the ladder.

I don't think death is what anyone deserves for making a mistake or being ignorant about something.  I don't know about you, but I have some people in my life who aren't taking this as seriously as I'd like them to, but I don't think they "deserve" to die.  I think that's an incredibly cold and cynical way of looking at this. 

I don't want people to die.  I want people to learn and adapt, and I hope they learn something from this.

Just now, spacepup said:

I don't think death is what anyone deserves for making a mistake or being ignorant about something.  I don't know about you, but I have some people in my life who aren't taking this as seriously as I'd like them to, but I don't think they "deserve" to die.  I think that's an incredibly cold and cynical way of looking at this. 

I don't want people to die.  I want people to learn and adapt, and I hope they learn something from this.

He had a platform and people see him and it reinforces to people, like the people in your life that they don't need to wear a mask. He was not ignorant of the need to wear a mask, that was a calculated political decision.

• Like 2

Just now, spacepup said:

It doesn't change the fact that I don't think we should be relishing in and laughing about the "poetic justice" of his death.  

I guess we disagree then. He used his platform to help other people catch covid and some of those people will die. I think he got his just desserts. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I agree with the danger posed by people using their platforms to encourage or condone dangerous behavior, or spreading misinformation.  I understand where you are coming from and, trust me, I'm extremely concerned with the horrible messages that some of our leaders and politicians are sending and how those messages are impacting people's lives, and that some people are dying because of this.  I don't deny that and I agree it is a major issue.

I personally just think it's a bit low or crass to do the "I told you so!" thing when someone dies to this disease.  I guess we'll just have to disagree there.

6 minutes ago, Californication said:

I guess we disagree then. He used his platform to help other people catch covid and some of those people will die. I think he got his just desserts. 

I agree.  Play stupid games, get stupid prizes. 

If people want to be terrible idiots and laugh in the face of science and float conspiracy theories, then its just survival of the fittest. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I agree with the danger posed by people using their platforms to encourage or condone dangerous behavior, or spreading misinformation.  I understand where you are coming from and, trust me, I'm extremely concerned with the horrible messages that some of our leaders and politicians are sending and how those messages are impacting people's lives, and that some people are dying because of this.  I don't deny that and I agree it is a major issue.

I personally just think it's a bit low or crass to do the "I told you so!" thing when someone dies to this disease.  I guess we'll just have to disagree there.

That's fair. I'm not proud of my position.

Administrator · Posted

I understand.  I mean....I don't even know I can really even fully express my thoughts on this.

I wasn't a fan of Cain's, and I completely 'get' what you are saying.  And I too get very angry and frustrated seeing leaders and politicians dangerously misleading and misinforming people, or at best, that their political views or perception/handling of this, are causing people to not take this seriously, which in turn, can make the problem worse.

The irony of this happening, given what he was doing, is a bit painfully obvious - I get that.  But I don't know...even despite all that, I just hope to see more collaboration and learning as these things happen - more bridging through the divide, and less antagonism and cynicism from everyone involved.   The reality is, that won't be happening, and certainly not any time soon.

I don't know...I think I'm just a bit disheartened with where we are right now as a society.  I hope we can do better.  Maybe there is a way to highlight the seriousness of this virus, even using this situation as a sort of example (as bad as that sounds), without just outright saying "ha ha, got what ya deserve!"  

I'll leave it at that.  I'm not perfect at this - I'll admit to being a bit embarrassed and ashamed at some of the things I've thought or said over the last few months.  I'm just trying to stay positive and do what I can to be safe and encourage others to do the same.

40 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I absolutely agree.  It was bad enough when this kind of thing was done towards Margaret Thatcher ("ding dong the witch is dead" 😛 ) but now it seems like this happens most every time a political figure passes away.  I mean there was all the time in the world to attack/criticize/put under the microscope/whatever when they were alive and in their prime.  I mean how would the rest of you like it if people celebrated your death just because your views were a little different from theirs?  Not to mention this kind of thing is the gravest of insults to their loved ones.

Show some respect for the deceased folks.

58 minutes ago, Californication said:

Yes, you ARE being cold blooded.  I mean I don't like the rioters and vandals and such running around without masks either but I'm not going to wish or celebrate death on them either.  I mean they do have loved ones/family too.

12 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yes, you ARE being cold blooded.  I mean I don't like the rioters and vandals and such running around without masks either but I'm not going to wish or celebrate death on them either.  I mean they do have loved ones/family too.

Those are two completly different things.

The protesters understand that corona virus is real and they are willing to put their health at risk to challenge the power structure.

Herman Cain like Fox News, and Donald Trump, have promoted that people shouldn't wear masks and people are dying because of it. Look at all the deaths and future deaths in Florida and Texas, a lot of those were completly preventable.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Estil said:

I absolutely agree.  It was bad enough when this kind of thing was done towards Margaret Thatcher ("ding dong the witch is dead" 😛 ) but now it seems like this happens most every time a political figure passes away.  I mean there was all the time in the world to attack/criticize/put under the microscope/whatever when they were alive and in their prime.  I mean how would the rest of you like it if people celebrated your death just because your views were a little different from theirs?  Not to mention this kind of thing is the gravest of insults to their loved ones.

Show some respect for the deceased folks.

Like Trump with John Lewis?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

Not sure what part of this is systemic racism, just looks like overuse of force. 

Police brutality, over use of force, and arresting on bogus charges.... all of this used on peaceful citizens protesting RACISM. 

Literally using the racist system to suppress racism. I don't get what's not clear.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I mean how would the rest of you like it if people celebrated your death just because your views were a little different from theirs?

I can only hope! 🤣

In all seriousness I'm with @Californication and others on this. The difference is I don't feel shame about it. Remember when I got shit on because I said old racist white folks need to pass on so we can progress the nation? The same applies here. Is it morbid? Sure. Insensitive? I'll give you that one even. But I don't feel shame. No one should. These fucking people are suppressing the rights of other human beings. They can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned. 

53 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I can only hope! 🤣

In all seriousness I'm with @Californication and others on this. The difference is I don't feel shame about it. Remember when I got shit on because I said old racist white folks need to pass on so we can progress the nation? The same applies here. Is it morbid? Sure. Insensitive? I'll give you that one even. But I don't feel shame. No one should. These fucking people are suppressing the rights of other human beings. They can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned. 

Keep on preaching that message of tolerance brother! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:
4 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

Police brutality, over use of force, and arresting on bogus charges.... all of this used on peaceful citizens protesting RACISM. 

Literally using the racist system to suppress racism. I don't get what's not clear.

"Police brutality, over use of force, and arresting on bogus charges.... all of this used on peaceful citizens protesting RACISM" =/= Systemic Racism

15 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Shocking that the people cheering the death of someone who chose not to mask, are the same ones blaming police/systemic racism for Michael Brown's death.

Didn't mask and died? = Deserving

Stealing, assaulting an officer, attempting to take his gun, and then being shot? = Unjustified

Lol

• Like 2