IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Anyone know of any further details behind Biden's plan? I'm struggling to see how prioritizing relief/resources based on race and/or gender is a positive thing. 

“Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian and Native American-owned small businesses, women-owned businesses, and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild. But we’re going to make a concerted effort to help small businesses in low-income communities in big cities, small towns and rural communities that have faced systematic barriers to relief.”

He is not stating that those businesses are receiving priority based on protected class, rather the priority is to ensure equal access to resources for those businesses. 

I admit it does read like he is giving preferential treatment but the idea is to elevate the struggling classes to a place of equality.  He def could have worded it better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Anyone know of any further details behind Biden's plan? I'm struggling to see how prioritizing relief/resources based on race and/or gender is a positive thing. 

“Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian and Native American-owned small businesses, women-owned businesses, and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild. But we’re going to make a concerted effort to help small businesses in low-income communities in big cities, small towns and rural communities that have faced systematic barriers to relief.”

I think the only way to understand what it means is to read the policy proposal.

Either way, the Republicans are starting to line up to black any plans anyway. McConnel is already using the filibuster as a nonstarter because he wants to be able to block legislation without making Senators have to vote on it.

Screenshot-from-2021-01-22-21-06-39.png

haha! have to agree with President Joe here 🙂

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-admonishes-reporter-questioning-whether-211143831.html

“When I announced it you all said it wasn’t possible. Come on, give me a break, man,” Biden responded. “It’s a good start, a hundred million.” ...During the press conference, Biden also announced that he would invoke the Defense Production Act to “accelerate the making of everything that’s needed to protect, test, and vaccinate and the care of our people.”

Just to point out that Trump did the same thing of course. And when I say Trump, I mean President Trump in an alternate Universe 😛

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

He is not stating that those businesses are receiving priority based on protected class, rather the priority is to ensure equal access to resources for those businesses. 

I admit it does read like he is giving preferential treatment but the idea is to elevate the struggling classes to a place of equality.  He def could have worded it better.

Has any aid/resource been restricted based on race/gender? I would think that any factors would be non-personal like industry, location, revenue, etc. Seems unreal that, for example, two businesses within the same vicinity would have different access to resources solely based on the owner's race/gender. 

You're right that it's worded terribly and is easily interpreted that white/males are not a part of any "struggling class". 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:40 AM, Tulpa said:

"When [Tim Shipman] and I interviewed Donald Trump in 2019, we became fascinated by what the little red button did," he wrote. "Eventually Trump pressed it, and a butler swiftly brought in a Diet Coke on a silver platter."

Wow... I shouldn't be surprised, and yet 😕

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

"When [Tim Shipman] and I interviewed Donald Trump in 2019, we became fascinated by what the little red button did," he wrote. "Eventually Trump pressed it, and a butler swiftly brought in a Diet Coke on a silver platter."

Wow... I shouldn't be surprised, and yet 😕

I need two of those. One for bourbon and one for seltzer. 

A dozen diet cokes a day is nuts! How much longer can he stay alive as piss poor as his diet is??

• Like 1

Screenshot-from-2021-01-29-18-42-20.png

It's name is Marjorie Taylor Greene... if I told you it was a member of the GOP, you would tell me "well, obviously"!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7607501/marjorie-taylor-greene-jewish-space-laser/

U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's social media history offers a window into a false, conspiracy theory-based reality — one where Donald Trump won re-election, the Sandy Hook and Parkland school shootings were fake, the 9/11 attack was an inside job and the 2018 California wildfires were caused by Jewish space lasers.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/03/tech/qanon-mom-former-believer/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2bQb6jEABE7NGAfiGBGTftu7rll0dnSdpHMrSHP_h9LtpYU0ap0HSeBMc

"She was able to do something that many people, including some elected representatives and a few members of the Republican Party, are not. She has admitted she was wrong and has condemned QAnon as a dangerous political movement."