IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

22 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Supposedly Mitch is happy with the impeachment. 

When mule piss Mitch is happy with it, you know you're fucked lol

I like how Trump was saying he would be the most conservative president ever. Then elected conservative judges for the SCOTUS and all those federal judges. Then went and tried to over turn electorial votes, which are perhaps the most state and local govt centered part of our republic. And he wonders why someone who is as conservative as Mitch is on the side of impeachment. 

The reality is, Trump right now is a threat to conservatism. All those whack jobs rushing the capital are completely going against state centered government actions effecting the federal government. They all are in complete opposition to limiting the power of the federal govt. It blows my mind. 

You know when Alex Jones is yelling at people who are rushing the capital building there's a Huge problem. That might have been the only time in his life when he was the voice of reason. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I like how Trump was saying he would be the most conservative president ever. Then elected conservative judges for the SCOTUS and all those federal judges. Then went and tried to over turn electorial votes, which are perhaps the most state and local govt centered part of our republic. And he wonders why someone who is as conservative as Mitch is on the side of impeachment. 

The reality is, Trump right now is a threat to conservatism. All those whack jobs rushing the capital are completely going against state centered government actions effecting the federal government. They all are in complete opposition to limiting the power of the federal govt. It blows my mind. 

You know when Alex Jones is yelling at people who are rushing the capital building there's a Huge problem. That might have been the only time in his life when he was the voice of reason. 

Gotta admit, that was a pretty solid move by Alex Jones. 

Agreed the insurrectionist will hurt the party. Agreed McConnel being happy is usually a terrible thing. 

The rest about Mitch McConnel is a little confusing. Mitch McConnel has sat by the president for the last four years. If he had a difference of opinion on values or policy I think Mitch would have expressed it sooner. 

Also, Mitch McConnel pushed the judges more than Trump. And I think you are saying that more judges grow the federal govt. which is in opposition to conservative ideas. 

I kind of think McConnel may be either pissed at Trump helping the Dems. take the Senate by pushing the 2K checks which helped the Dems. take the Senate  and/or  he is trying to get a little distance for the Republicans from Trump because Trump is polarizing in turning out sections of the electorate (i.e. people who voted dem. for president and down ballot republican) and/or Trump does not have as much to offer since he is not the president any more so it's not worth the political fight. 

If a disagreement over values was part of McConnels reasoning, it just seems like it would be pretty low on the list. Also, those values seem like more of a gesture to get votes and not something they really care about.

The republicans created the mass govt. surveillance program in the bush years and then then Trump pushed the Fed to purchase corporate bonds which is probably the biggest increase in federal govt. I can remember, which I didn't hear any conservatives complain about. Republicam politicians where just happy to have found one more way to pay back their donors.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 2

a raging pandemic while the President incites insurrection is a legit hollywood movie

49 minutes ago, Californication said:

Gotta admit, that was a pretty solid move by Alex Jones. 

That will never be said again 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I agree-Trumpism isn't really conservatism, or never was. He did run on it though while obviously pandering which is what makes it so hilarious. He literally donated to the Clinton Foundation. 

Waving flags and calling terrible people “patriots” isnt conservatism. Trump just hijacked it through victimization  

Speaking of, Hawley is a supposed constitutional scholar, yet he doesn't realize that publishers don't have morality clauses?  Was he not paying attention when that baker didn't have to make the cake for the gay wedding?  

Todays Trumpublicans are really bad at being republican. I legit wonder if an actual MAGA party will break off.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrWunderful said:

a raging pandemic while the President incites insurrection is a legit hollywood movie

I agree-Trumpism isn't really conservatism, or never was. He did run on it though while obviously pandering which is what makes it so hilarious. He literally donated to the Clinton Foundation. 

Waving flags and calling terrible people “patriots” isnt conservatism. Trump just hijacked it through victimization  

Speaking of, Hawley is a supposed constitutional scholar, yet he doesn't realize that publishers don't have morality clauses?  Was he not paying attention when that baker didn't have to make the cake for the gay wedding?  

Todays Trumpublicans are really bad at being republican. I legit wonder if an actual MAGA party will break off.  

Definitely agree. Trump is just a middle finger to the left that united conservatives by promising to appoint conservative judges and not overturn R v W with the tea party nuts by basically just being a fellow but job lol 

Trump fuckin lost states that elected R senators. That means there was hundreds of thousands of Republicans that voted Biden and then R down the ticket. That didn't really happen in 2016 and whether it was the mishandling of COVID or him just being an ass, he lost a large chunk of conservatives before the election and now, everyday since then, he's only lost more and more of them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I thought Trump ran on populism i.e. fighting for workers more than anything else.

He talked about fixing Nafta, helping out working people by bringing jobs back to the u.s., getting corruption out of d.c., getting out of the middle east wars. 

Those are closer to progressive ideas than conservative.

And if he gave a middle finger to anyone it was all the American people excluding the super wealthy. 

The republicans owned Trump this entire time" we have had these arguments about Trumps decisions over and over, and most of the conservative on here including @regulargamerguy defended Trumps policy decisions. 

And now that Trump is leaving the presidency whining and screaming the whole way the republicans want to say Trump isn't a result of the Republican ideology?

The republican ideology creates a radical base with a different name every couple years. We had neo-cons, then tea-partiers, and now trumpists. I'm sure there were others - it is the same ideology being marketed differently. 

Edited by Californication

1 hour ago, Californication said:

I thought Trump ran on populism i.e. fighting for workers more than anything else.

He talked about fixing Nafta, helping out working people by bringing jobs back to the u.s., getting corruption out of d.c., getting out of the middle east wars. 

Those are closer tonprogressive ideas than conservative.

And if he gave a middle finger was all the American people excluding the super wealthy. 

The republicans owned Trump this entire time" we have had these arguments about Trumpa decisions over and over, and most of the conservative on here including @regulargamerguy defended Trumps policy decisions. 

And now that Trump is leaving the presidency whining and screaming the whole way the republicans want to say Trump isn't a rssult of the Republican ideology?

The republican ideology creates a radical base with a different name evwry couple years. We had neo-cons, then tea-partiers, and now trumpists. I'm sure there were others - it is the same ideology being marketed differently. 

Fair enough. I know its populism, but It never felt that way to me because it was always so fucking phoney. Plus, he basically abandoned everything he ran on like a week in, it was all a show

and Neo Cons and tea partiers never had the raw visceral reaction that Trump did. He is really an expert at toeing the line on white grievance. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Fair enough. I know its populism, but It never felt that way to me because it was always so fucking phoney. Plus, he basically abandoned everything he ran on like a week in, it was all a show

and Neo Cons and tea partiers never had the raw visceral reaction that Trump did. He is really an expert at toeing the line on white grievance. 

Right, I always forget the white grievance thing even though it is like the one constant of his rhetoric. 

That reminds me - Rush Limbaugh, and Newt Gingritch have been pushing Republican ideology for years and that was the same rhetoric Trump used. There is a clear throughline in the stylings of Limmbaugh and Gingritch to Steven Miller and Steve Bannon. 

And lets not forget the Republican main stay of Roger Stone. Not aure how you can say all of these people that shaped the Trump presidency are not conservative.

9 hours ago, Californication said:

Right, I always forget the white grievance thing even though it is like the one constant of his rhetoric. 

That reminds me - Rush Limbaugh, and Newt Gingritch have been pushing Republican ideology for years and that was the same rhetoric Trump used. There is a clear throughline in the stylings of Limmbaugh and Gingritch to Steven Miller and Steve Bannon. 

And lets not forget the Republican main stay of Roger Stone. Not aure how you can say all of these people that shaped the Trump presidency are not conservative.

Rush Limbaugh is personal friends with Trump - they golf together and Trump appeared on his show, live, numerous times.

They had personal phone calls.  And the words coming out of Trump's mouth, on numerous occasions, were VERBATIM what Rush had said on his show a day or two earlier.

If there is a "cult of Trump", then Trump is really just the figurehead/patsy.

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/faculty-research/policy-topics/democracy-governance/what-ails-american-democracy

Two recent independent cross-national studies, by the V-Party project and the Global Party Survey, show just how extreme the GOP has become in its position toward the principles of liberal democracy, where it is now estimated to be closer to authoritarian populist parties such as Spain’s Vox, the Netherlands’ Party for Freedom, and the Alterative for Germany than it is to mainstream conservative, Christian Democratic, and center-right parties. By contrast, the studies found that the Democratic Party’s position is similar to that of many moderate parties within the mainstream center-left. 

8 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think McConnell is gonna retire soon since he lost SML, so now he doesn't have to worry about pleasing the Trumplets.

And we lost the clown's twitter, but now we can be entertained by this whackjob

Wait what did he do? Like in all seriousness, what is her argument on how he abused his power? I haven't heard of this yet.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/13/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-white-house/index.html

I hope that this is true, if only to clue Giuliani in that if you work for him long enough, you're going to get screwed.

😂 too funny.  I mean, I realize Rudy is as senile as an old hamster but how do you not see something like this coming?  This should be the least of his concerns.  Does he think Trump won’t try throw his ass under the bus in an effort to save his own neck when the time comes?  He should ask Michael Cohen how that goes.

8 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Facebook had more planning of the riots than any other site. I'm looking forward to them being dumped from the app stores. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/13/facebook-role-in-capitol-protest/%3foutputType=amp

Im sure another effective algorhythym is on its way!

• Haha 1