IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

19 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The policy of cultivating a rabid cult of personality that can be used to attempt a coup, for one.

Policy as in legislation. I think he is a product of the Republican party. You are saying that "Trumpism" is a different road than the Republican party was on. The only way I can think of to see if there is a difference is to see if the legislation/policies are different. 

Cultivating a rabid cultive personality is his means of getting policy done. A means to an end.

Edited by Californication

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Please give me some other benefits of this. 

Mitch McConnell not playing hardball for another 2-8 years, turning our legislature into a morass of nothingness once again.

You want to keep going with this?  I mean, we all know you're a Trump fanboy, so I doubt you're hearing me anyways.

• Eyeroll 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Californication said:

I've heard liberal dems say that wake up call/breather stuff on tv and it has no basis in reality. 

The republican party is on a trajectory and has been. There is no wake up call/breather for these people. Obama said the same stuff after Bush was a terrible President, Biden was saying that after he won the election, and Pelosi was talking that stuff yesterday. 

Liberal democracts need to wake up amd stop following the trash Democrat leadership and giving a pass to the racist, terrorist acts we see from conservatives year after year.

I'm just taking a moment to reflect on what happened and hope for better.  It doesn't mean that I think there should be no consequences or that we should just "let" bad things happen.  I don't get my ideas from Pelosi or any particular leadership.

• Like 5

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I'm just taking a moment to reflect on what happened and hope for better.  It doesn't mean that I think there should be no consequences or that we should just "let" bad things happen.  I don't get my ideas from Pelosi or any particular leadership.

You are correct though.  The partisan gap has to be bridged (even though it won't).

What's the alternative?  Seriously, anyone, what is the alternative?  Some sort of mythical absolute victory?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Mitch McConnell not playing hardball for another 2-8 years, turning our legislature into a morass of nothingness once again.

You want to keep going with this?  I mean, we all know you're a Trump fanboy, so I doubt you're hearing me anyways.

Actually I don't generally give a shit about American politics as a whole, something I've maintained the whole time. I just don't want the free, democratic country I've grown to call my home to turn into another Hong Kong, something a lot if people are here are worried about.

If Biden / Harris take a hard stance against China, and continue to support and help Taiwan, I'll support them with open arms. I don't think they will , but we should see shortly, in a few weeks, which direction they choose to go.

Screenshot-from-2021-01-08-06-57-52.png

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/politics/donald-trump-self-pardon/index.html

"As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?" the President said in 2018...Given the weight of the constitutional and historical authority (including the Justice Department opinion and the stated intent of the Framers), a self-pardon likely would not stand

Traitor

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Screenshot-from-2021-01-08-06-57-52.png

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/politics/donald-trump-self-pardon/index.html

"As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?" the President said in 2018...Given the weight of the constitutional and historical authority (including the Justice Department opinion and the stated intent of the Framers), a self-pardon likely would not stand

Traitor

I mean I can't say I'm all that surprised, but... god, words cannot describe the anger I feel towards that man.

• Like 3

Screenshot-from-2021-01-08-07-41-05.png

Trump’s response to his defeat has been ineffectual and flailing, but it has followed a certain strategic logic. He has used every method at his disposal to negate an election he clearly lost. He filed scores of lawsuits. He pressured lawmakers and state officials to cancel the outcome, and he lobbied his vice-president to throw the election into the House of Representatives. When all these measures failed, he sent in a mob to shut down Congress.

Edited by avatar!
  • Angry 1

14 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Sure, if you believe it was a fair election. Many people don't, and it's attitudes like yours that imo indirectly caused people like those yesterday to do what they did.

It's an interesting window into the susceptibility of the average person to conspiracy theories and their general gullibility.

The people that did what they did at the capitol has a great deal more to do with being egged on by the president and his supporting politicians and far-right media than it does with reasonable people that accept the election was fairly carried out and Trump was defeated handily once it was all said and done.  (i.e. people that clearly recognize that no way in hell was a massive conspiracy carried out to fix the presidential election while leaving people like Mitch McConnel in their positions -- and even the right wing doesn't contents THEIR OWN victories as somehow tainted, which is not a particularly consistent view of events on their part)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I mean, we all know you're a Trump fanboy, so I doubt you're hearing me anyways.

No, I think he's just made it pretty clear that he's more concerned with the US stance on China and the defense of Taiwan versus the state of the US democracy itself.

He hasn't lived here for awhile, and certainly during the current situation around the election he missed getting to see first-hand the Trump supporters that had the bizarre notion of flying Trump flags IN PLACE OF American flags they used to have on flag poles -- and then FLYING THE TRUMP FLAG AT HALF MAST on the same pole -- AND THEN replacing it with a confederate flag.

Though I will say that after the insurrection attempt on the capitol, my closest Trump supporting neighbors had the decency to switch back to an American flag at full mast.

And owing to timezone differences, I doubt he catches random broadcasts of radio personalities like Rush Limbaugh to hear the origination of a lot of the rhetoric you see parroted VERBATIM online, later, by people that believe they are thinking for themselves while regurgitating talking points.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cartman said:

How much time can he get?

Haven't looked into it, but I thought I recalled him facing a pretty wide range of non-federal charges ranging from tax issues to rape and sexual assault -- none of which he has the power to pardon himself from.

And that is before you get into the federal level charges that he PROBABLY doesn't have the functional ability to pardon himself from -- and now that he's attempt to throw Pence under the bus, no way is Pence sympathetic to pulling a Gerald Ford and pardoning him after he resigns prior to 20 January.

The guy was genuinely desperate to stay in the presidency to put off legal issues for another 4 years.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spacepup said:

You might have created the idea of "taking a breather" on your own, or you might have heard it disemminated on a news program the way political leadership messages get sent out, either way the idea that we should take a break and not point out what the problem is and seek resolution is useless either way.

I think you have good intentions. I am just saying hope doesn't get things done. Also, the news cycle changes so quickly and the publics memory is so short that if you don't create a consesus or move for change quickly you will lose the opportunity to respond.

These people ransacked the capital. They broke into Congress and the offices of our legislators. And this mob is supported by the president and republican senators who continued to push their racism and conspiracy theories hours after the violence.

Conservatives are washing their hands of fault. Look at some of the people in this thread even  a. blaming Anitifa, b. Creating a false comparison to Black Lives Matter, c.failing to see the connection to the republican party, d. Failing to see the connection to the republican ideology. 

All of these failures of people to come to terms with the insanity and threat that the republican party is to our society is why these problems persist.

The only ways I see to move forward is for people to be held accountable and the democrats need to do things to help people. The democrats are good at taking half measures and not getting things done, but they need to show people they can be the one constructive party in our system. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I think you might be slightly misunderstanding my personal message and plea, but regardless, yes, I get it.  I'm still not saying that we shouldn't point out and address the problems.  We can do that, while also reflecting at the same time.  

Part of the reason we are where we are is because everyone seems to be in attack mode, 100% of the time.  It is all the Republicans' fault.  It is all the Democrats' fault.  Neither side seems to want to admit ANY wrongdoing, at all.  When that's not the case.

I think the events that occurred recently are despicable, shameful, horrible.  I've said this numerous times.  My commentary about "taking a break" isn't just specifically about recent events.  It is a broader commentary that we can't go on like this forever.  We can't constantly live in a 100% "us" versus "them" world where no one will take any responsibility for doing anything wrong.  It is ALWAYS the "other side's" fault - not even partially, but fully.  And when people are adamantly unwilling to even *consider* that there may be anything they could remotely do differently, that is a major problem.  

We can fight for justice and resolution, while also hoping for peace and a better country, at the same time.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

No, I think he's just made it pretty clear that he's more concerned with the US stance on China and the defense of Taiwan versus the state of the US democracy itself.

He hasn't lived here for awhile, and certainly during the current situation around the election he missed getting to see first-hand the Trump supporters that ... (Edited to reduce quote length)

Yup, this is essentially where I stand on the issue. Some of the names that folks have been dropping, I honestly have little to no idea who they are. At best, I might have heard the name, at worst, I haven't a clue. It may sound uninformed or ignorant to some, but I've been living abroad for over ten years now, and I only go home once every year or two, for a duration of three weeks at best, so this stuff really doesn't have much impact on my life, and while living in America, I was never very political. I do remember taking my grandmother to vote though one year, and we both voted for Obama haha.

I haven't voted since moving abroad to Taiwan, for those who are curious. Maybe I'm being silly for giving up such a powerful right, but for the most part, the affairs that go on back home don't have anything to do with my life, thus I feel it better for those whose lives are directly being impacted to make a decision.

Regardless of anything else, I hope that soon to be President Biden will continue to safeguard Taiwan my new home, and similarly, I hope that America can heal as a whole, and as President Trump said, I hope we can make America great again.

I'm tired of the unnecessary violence, the gun crime, the rioting, the hatred. The list goes on. I hope someday, sooner rather than later, it gets sorted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Yup, this is essentially where I stand on the issue. Some of the names that folks have been dropping, I honestly have little to no idea who they are. At best, I might have heard the name, at worst, I haven't a clue. It may sound uninformed or ignorant to some, but I've been living abroad for over ten years now, and I only go home once every year or two, for a duration of three weeks at best, so this stuff really doesn't have much impact on my life, and while living in America, I was never very political. I do remember taking my grandmother to vote though one year, and we both voted for Obama haha.

I haven't voted since moving abroad to Taiwan, for those who are curious. Maybe I'm being silly for giving up such a powerful right, but for the most part, the affairs that go on back home don't have anything to do with my life, thus I feel it better for those whose lives are directly being impacted to make a decision.

Regardless of anything else, I hope that soon to be President Biden will continue to safeguard Taiwan my new home, and similarly, I hope that America can heal as a whole, and as President Trump said, I hope we can make America great again.

I'm tired of the unnecessary violence, the gun crime, the rioting, the hatred. The list goes on. I hope someday, sooner rather than later, it gets sorted.

The frustrating thing about your contributions to the political threads, as it pertains to having any level of support for Trump, is that Trump and his staunchest supporters attempting to undermine US democracy is directly antithetical to the USA having ANY credibility on the world stage that affords meaningful support to Taiwan in the first place.

You can say that Trump is "tougher on China", but that is basically a short-term band-aid that fails to staunch the bleeding when it is perceived that the USA is being run by a dictator with a cult of personality, and owing to rising nationalism cannot find the international support it actually requires to deal with the CCP long term.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The frustrating thing about your contributions to the political threads, as it pertains to having any level of support for Trump, is that Trump and his staunchest supporters attempting to undermine US democracy is directly antithetical to the USA having ANY credibility on the world stage that affords meaningful support to Taiwan in the first place.

You can say that Trump is "tougher on China", but that is basically a short-term band-aid that fails to staunch the bleeding when it is perceived that the USA is being run by a dictator with a cult of personality, and owing to rising nationalism cannot find the international support it actually requires to deal with the CCP long term.

Let's watch and see what happens over the course of the next month or two. Once Trump is out, the CCP will do something to test Biden. It could be something relatively benign, or it could be something a bit worse, such as annexing a few of the outlying islands that the Republic of China (the good guys that run Taiwan) currently maintain.

I honestly don't think Biden will be Taiwan's friend, neither do the Taiwanense. 

I agree political threads are frustrating, but similarly to me looking from a foreign perspective, others are looking from a local perspective. 

Contrary to what you may realise, countries such as Japan and Vietnam are also watching this situation very carefully, and feeling somewhat queasy about the policies Biden will take regarding China. Taiwan is strategic, that's the only reason China cares so much about it, and these other countries know this. If China takes Taiwan, it will be very bad for America too, but I think the average population wouldn't realise this until it is too late