IGNORED

American Politics / Current Events Thread

CodysGameRoom

Since the Current Events thread in "Everything Else" will be locked soon, this is the new place to discuss/debate Politics or Current Events in America.

I've dialed down the subject matter a bit since the other thread would get wild with multiple topics.

So, Politifact updated the Trump-O-Meter. Anyone have any thoughts?

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/

• Haha 1

I'll start this out with a wtf is wrong with you @Link? Since we can't quote anymore because the politics thread is closed, here's his post which is on page 173. You act all high and mighty and above everyone else, then you go and spit this crap. It's f*cking disgusting. @fcgamer too since he was addressing you.

Link     572

Link
  16 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Well I don't like this idea of culture appropriation, and culinary is a huge part of one's unique culture.

So why are you saying Trader Joe’s shouldn’t stop their cultural appropriation branding? 

Edit: Also no, I didn't see your question earlier, or I would have answered. I was busy washing rugs earlier.

Oh were you washing your chingchong bingbong rugs? Is that what you asian wannabes do to fit in in your adoptive country that you move to and still fail to be allowed to buy a home? I guess you and your parents just made poor choices. Too bad

I'll also carry over this from the last page of the old thread. @Silent Hill if you want to chime in since you actually understand what truly happened. 

Ferguson is the single most bullsh!t BLM facade throughout the past 7 years. Built on a complete lie. Michael Brown fought with an officer and grabbed for his gun. This was after Michael Brown had just robbed a store. He wasn't an innocent hands up don't shoot nice guy. The media and BLM movement fabricated the whole thing and the public bought it without doing their own research. Never accept anything the news says about these events at face value. Always look it up yourself and do your own research. https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2015/03/16/lesson-learned-from-the-shooting-of-michael-brown/

The latest fabricated lie was the death of Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta. Almost the same story, but the truth got much quicker than during the Ferguson tragedy.

12 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I'll start this out with a wtf is wrong with you @Link? Since we can't quote anymore because the politics thread is closed, here's his post which is on page 173. You act all high and mighty and above everyone else, then you go and spit this crap. It's f*cking disgusting. @fcgamer too since he was addressing you.

Link     572

Link

Well I don't like this idea of culture appropriation, and culinary is a huge part of one's unique culture.

So why are you saying Trader Joe’s shouldn’t stop their cultural appropriation branding? 

Edit: Also no, I didn't see your question earlier, or I would have answered. I was busy washing rugs earlier.

Oh were you washing your chingchong bingbong rugs? Is that what you asian wannabes do to fit in in your adoptive country that you move to and still fail to be allowed to buy a home? I guess you and your parents just made poor choices. Too bad

Obviously you didn’t read the rest of the thread. That was parody, but not a joke. 

He has no problem with an offensive fake accent on The Simpsons read by a white guy, as he puts it “So why are we getting offended about this again, oh yeah, just for the sake of it all.”

So for me to use an offensive fake accent is really no different. Is it racist? Well, why don’t you ask him what he thinks about racist accents. But it’s offensive, isn’t it? It’s really extremely vile and rude and demeaning for me to speak in a stereotype like that. It’s dehumanizing. So why is it okay for a big TV show to do it? Not only okay, but something that that he says definitely should not be changed.

Then I threw in something about making poor choices because it’s something he would say.

And as long as you’re importing drama from the closed thread, “correlation ≠ causation” is A Thing that smart people say, but saying it doesn’t make you smart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Link said:

Obviously you didn’t read the rest of the thread. That was parody, but not a joke. 

He has no problem with an offensive fake accent on The Simpsons read by a white guy, as he puts it “So why are we getting offended about this again, oh yeah, just for the sake of it all.”

So for me to use an offensive fake accent is really no different. Is it racist? Well, why don’t you ask him what he thinks about racist accents. But it’s offensive, isn’t it? It’s really extremely vile and rude and demeaning for me to speak in a stereotype like that. It’s dehumanizing. So why is it okay for a big TV show to do it? Not only okay, but something that that he says definitely should not be changed.

Then I threw in something about making poor choices because it’s something he would say.

And as long as you’re importing drama from the closed thread, “correlation ≠ causation” is A Thing that smart people say, but saying it doesn’t make you smart.

You are hilarious man. I'll let @fcgamer unpack this hot mess. 

Spurious correlation https://www.statisticshowto.com/spurious-correlation/

Correlation vs causation https://www.jmp.com/en_us/statistics-knowledge-portal/what-is-correlation/correlation-vs-causation.html

Enlighten yourselves

27 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Correlation vs causation 

Again I know what they are.

I’ll make peace with you. The day after you rode my nuts you said a lot of stuff I could respect. If you’ll engage me seriously and in good faith I’ll do the same with you.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Link said:

Again I know what they are.

I’ll make peace with you. The day after you rode my nuts you said a lot of stuff I could respect. If you’ll engage me seriously and in good faith I’ll do the same with you.

Deal. I will hear out anyone and engage seriously. I might not have similar viewpoints but I'm passionate and will speak up if someone says something I don't agree with or I think is incorrect or misleading. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Deal. I will hear out anyone and engage seriously. I might not have similar viewpoints but I'm passionate and will speak up if someone says something I don't agree with or I think is incorrect or misleading. 

Damn, never thought I'd see you two, of all people, settle this like gentlemen. Honestly really happy to see this.

In addition to what you guys have said, I will add that I think it might help a bit if you didn't treat everyone who disagrees with you like an idiot. Now, this is just my opinion (So if you get pissed off at what I'm saying here, attack me, not Link) but it seems like you... almost have a lack of respect for people with differing opinions than you, as if you look down on them. (Constantly calling people who simply disagree with you a troll, talking to them as if you know more than they do, etc) and I think doing that drives away healthy discussion, and instead just promotes people shouting at each other without actually accomplishing anything. Nobody in that previous thread was legitimately trolling you (At least if you and I have the same definition of what a Troll is) a lot of people just disagreed with you. Some people might've been a bit more respectful about voicing their disagreement than others, but nobody, at least initially, was going out of their way to piss you off.

Now, perhaps I'm completely mistaken on this and you already think this way (In which case, I apologize, and feel free to correct me) but I think it might help a bit to see people who disagree with you not as somehow lower than you, but as someone who just sees things a little differently than you do. To treat people you disagree with as your equal, as hard as I know that can sometimes be with the way our brains are wired. Whenever someone disagrees with me on something, I try my best not to look down on them or assume the reason they disagree with me is because I know more than them, and they're just a complete idiot. I try to understand why they think the way they do, then explain why I think the way I do, and we go from there. I personally find that approach to respectful discussions about differing opinions accomplishes a lot more on both sides than the approach many people have to politics.

Hell, I'd say this goes for everyone who ends up participating in this club, not just Rhino. I'd very much like it if we could get off on the right foot here, and learn from the mistakes we made with the previous thread, so that this place can live on, and we can prevent this club from ever becoming the dumpster fire that the previous thread ended up becoming.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Link said:

Accent is not the same as ethnicity, which is something @Link and possibly others cannot grasp. If a white person grew up in India or China or wherever, to either non-native English speakers or speakers of English who had an accent, said person would likely speak in the same way, same accent. That's how it works, accent is not passed down by ethnicity.

On the other hand, what Link wrote is a bunch of gibberish white / non-Chinese speakers use as a representation of the Chinese language (wtf is the "Chinese language" anyways), and is generally used as a pejorative or a slur. That's what makes this extremely offensive. Furthermore , what Link wrote gas nothing at all to do with accent.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Damn, never thought I'd see you two, of all people, settle this like gentlemen. Honestly really happy to see this.

In addition to what you guys have said, I will add that I think it might help a bit if you didn't treat everyone who disagrees with you like an idiot. Now, this is just my opinion (So if you get pissed off at what I'm saying here, attack me, not Link) but it seems like you... almost have a lack of respect for people with differing opinions than you, as if you look down on them. (Constantly calling people who simply disagree with you a troll, talking to them as if you know more than they do, etc) and I think doing that drives away healthy discussion, and instead just promotes people shouting at each other without actually accomplishing anything. Nobody in that previous thread was legitimately trolling you (At least if you and I have the same definition of what a Troll is) a lot of people just disagreed with you. Some people might've been a bit more respectful about voicing their disagreement than others, but nobody, at least initially, was going out of their way to piss you off.

Now, perhaps I'm completely mistaken on this and you already think this way (In which case, I apologize, and feel free to correct me) but I think it might help a bit to see people who disagree with you not as somehow lower than you, but as someone who just sees things a little differently than you do. To treat people you disagree with as your equal, as hard as I know that can sometimes be with the way our brains are wired. Whenever someone disagrees with me on something, I try my best not to look down on them or assume the reason they disagree with me is because I know more than them, and they're just a complete idiot. I try to understand why they think the way they do, then explain why I think the way I do, and we go from there. I personally find that approach to respectful discussions about differing opinions accomplishes a lot more on both sides than the approach many people have to politics.

Hell, I'd say this goes for everyone who ends up participating in this club, not just Rhino. I'd very much like it if we could get off on the right foot here, and learn from the mistakes we made with the previous thread, so that this place can live on, and we can prevent this club from ever becoming the dumpster fire that the previous thread ended up becoming.

I hear what you're saying. I will only treat people like idiots if they're idiots and their viewpoint can very clearly be discredited. Many issues are extremely complicated and comprise so many variables that you cannot pinpoint one cause to the problem or one solution. For those issues, there are no idiots because there is no one answer. However, for instances like Ferguson and the Michael Brown case, there are idiots because you can now see what truly happened vs what the media and certain groups initially wanted you to believe. 

I respect everyone equally and do not look down on anyone. We are all equals. I do not care if your viewpoints or opinions differ from mine, and am open to hearing you out. It is healthy to discuss differing viewpoints and to hear each side. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I respect everyone equally and do not look down on anyone. We are all equals. I do not care if your viewpoints or opinions differ from mine, and am open to hearing you out. It is healthy to discuss differing viewpoints and to hear each side. 

Alright, regardless of our disagreements on certain things, honestly that's all I wanted to hear. Carry on, then 🙂