IGNORED

If someone initiates an ebay return, I'm boned, right?

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

I just wanna confirm before I bother putting any effort in. I assume I'm gonna just have to suck it up and take the loss here, but dude's asking for a return on one of the TWO Animal Crossing games he bought off me. 

Photos from the listing:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Photos from the buyer:

image.png

image.png

Like am I crazy? It looks to me like two completely different discs? Feels like ebay is too quick to just auto-side with the dude, and he's just "trading up" a disc he already had or something. Very frustrating.

Super frustrating. I think the only way of making sure ebay would side with you, would be if the item had some kind of serial number. I think even at that its still hard to get them to side with the seller. Im scared to sell anything big on that platform anymore because of this.

You took a good photo of the inner ring and it seems that there are 4 different ones, the one you sold is #2 so compare to the one being sent back to you (it's not clear in the photo the buyer sent to you):
http://redump.org/disc/5169/

You could tell the buyer you expect the inner ring to match and that might deter them entirely from sending it back but could result in negative feedback, or wait for the return to compare and initiate a counter claim if the rings don't match.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Calan87 said:

Super frustrating. I think the only way of making sure ebay would side with you, would be if the item had some kind of serial number. I think even at that its still hard to get them to side with the seller. Im scared to sell anything big on that platform anymore because of this.

I'm kind of right there with you. I recently sold a big ticket item on eBay ($500+) and the buyer wanted me to ship to Canada (I don't ship to Canada) and they wanted me to put the value of the package as $15 (Lmao! Hell no!) So they changed their address to their address in Florida, I confirm that they have someone there that will be able to pick up the package when it arrives, they say "yes" and I thank them. I get the package ready, insure it and made sure that it would require a signature at the time of delivery. They then send me a message a few minutes later saying "No signature". Well items over 500+ require a signature otherwise the insurance doesn't cover loss of the item, so I tell them that this isn't negotiable, so then they try to get me to put in the special instructions to have it sent to their neighbor. Long story short, I declined to do that. Everything about that transaction from the get go was shady and rubbing me the wrong way, so I just refunded them and canceled the transaction. Now they're threatening negative feedback, but better that than everything that they were trying to get me to do.

Anyway, the moral of this story is, yes, there are buyers on eBay that are shady or difficult to deal with, but thankfully they are usually few and far between compared to all of the other good experiences to be had when selling.

I am sorry to hear about the issue that you're dealing with though OP. =[ You may just have to eat the loss, this sort of thing just sadly happens .

• Like 2

OP, I feel you, but you need to take good photos of everything if you're selling on eBay. I saw a similar issue in /r/retrogaming or the Saturn sub: Panzer Dragoon Saga was clearly swapped out for a more beat up copy and returned. That's pretty scummy.

On the flip side since COVID-19 hit I've had to return more items in three months than I have in three years. People are hard up for money and, my Lord, have sellers been extremely deceptive about listings.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

OP, I feel you, but you need to take good photos of everything if you're selling on eBay. I saw a similar issue in /r/retrogaming or the Saturn sub: Panzer Dragoon Saga was clearly swapped out for a more beat up copy and returned. That's pretty scummy.

On the flip side since COVID-19 hit I've had to return more items in three months than I have in three years. People are hard up for money and, my Lord, have sellers been extremely deceptive about listings.

Thing is ebay didn't even give me the OPTION to argue about it. All the buyer has to do is say "it's not as described" and I have NO course of action outside of giving the buyer's money back. Ridiculous.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Thing is ebay didn't even give me the OPTION to argue about it. All the buyer has to do is say "it's not as described" and I have NO course of action outside of giving the buyer's money back. Ridiculous.

Really? Even the guy who sold me a damaged item recently had the option to challenge it and submit photos. That sucks. Have you thought about contacting eBay by phone? They're generally easier to work with. I once bought a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth only for the photos to have been lifted from Pricecharting.com. The price was too good to be true with a seller with zero sales. Got on the horn with eBay and within an hour I got my money back and the seller was banned. You might have better luck actually speaking to someone.

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

Really? Even the guy who sold me a damaged item recently had the option to challenge it and submit photos. That sucks. Have you thought about contacting eBay by phone? They're generally easier to work with. I once bought a copy of Magic Knight Rayearth only for the photos to have been lifted from Pricecharting.com. The price was too good to be true with a seller with zero sales. Got on the horn with eBay and within an hour I got my money back and the seller was banned. You might have better luck actually speaking to someone.

At this point I've just sucked it up and taken the hit. Fortunately for me I'm not hard up for cash, just cleaning up my apartment a bit of the duplicates and whatnot. Still, I'll keep it in mind for next time.

What Abelardo said basically.

You have good enough images I think.  See if the ring code/any code on that disc match the one that comes back.  Also perhaps look for any defect in yours vs theirs of the green art side too.  If they send back something that isn't a product code or discerning mark you can see then you've got them on fraud and you call ebay about it.  But trying to defeat it now, let them know (lie or not) that you have more high quality images of the disc, so if anything comes back that doesn't match your images you'll be contacting ebay about what's going on and they'll have to deal with you(him.)  I've had to go that route like twice before, they backed down 2/2.

I know it's too late, kind of, but when it arrives, take a peek anyway and call them on it.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, Gloves said:

I just wanna confirm before I bother putting any effort in. I assume I'm gonna just have to suck it up and take the loss here, but dude's asking for a return on one of the TWO Animal Crossing games he bought off me. 

Photos from the listing:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Photos from the buyer:

image.png

image.png

Like am I crazy? It looks to me like two completely different discs? Feels like ebay is too quick to just auto-side with the dude, and he's just "trading up" a disc he already had or something. Very frustrating.

Please post the buyers ebay id so we can all block him and prevent more scams from him ...

I also see people selling $3,000 - $5000 games st ebay . What if the buyer opens a case because he dindt get it? He just takes pics of an empty box or the same game but a CiB and opens a case , paypal freezes your money while the case is open and of course even with your pics while you where packing they will probably side with the buyer . You eill have to go to the police.... I am  also in the comic books world and its more common than you think. So common that someone from ebay  told me that its not safe to list $1000 + items at ebay..... Better use Heritage , Certified link, and others than risk your games. 

Edited by Mijael

Kind of makes sense.  Heritage would make sense as long as you include at your starting price a higher start to cover what their fees would absorb to a point(if not entirely) or place it on sale where the buyer goes in knowing the auction costs are theirs.  No reason to lose 20-30% just because ebay members are scum.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:20 PM, Sir Centroid said:

Everything about that transaction from the get go was shady and rubbing me the wrong way, so I just refunded them and canceled the transaction. Now they're threatening negative feedback,

I’m not sure that’s even possible. Three times already this year I have received refunds. #1 - vintage kitchen item - when I asked why, seller claimed the item was stolen from his storage locker. #2 - vintage video game figure - no explanation. I was the only bidder, and I have a feeling the seller wanted more money. #3 - computer accessory - I received an empty envelope with one side split. 

On all of these transactions I am unable to leave any feedback due to the refund.

• Like 1

I just noticed that the picture that the buyers sent you, this disc prong is completely different which means it is not the GameCube case. Why would it be on a different case.... clearly it’s a different disc.  Just thought I would point that out maybe it will help your claim.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 9:31 PM, Gloves said:

Welcome to ebay!

I have to say most of my transactions on ebay have been good. However, I have had a few people completely rip me off. Unfortunately there seems to be little you can do about it... 😞 

Honestly, what we need is an alternative to ebay. If ebay had any real competition, I guarantee you they would change their tune and quickly. 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/23/ebay-protect-buyer-seller-fraud

Screenshot from 2020-07-26 06-57-38.png

3 hours ago, Link said:

I’m not sure that’s even possible. 

On all of these transactions I am unable to leave any feedback due to the refund.

You can still leave feedback but ebay doesn't make it clear how to do so in any manner.  (Big surprise huh!)

When you leave feedback on an item from the purchase history page you will asked if you would like to leave more feedback - click on that and a list of the items you can leave feedback on will appear - which now will include items that you have been refunded on.  (They will eventually drop off but I am not sure how long they stay there - quite awhile though - I have a couple of things there that have been on for what seems like ages.)

You can also get to those items via your account page but it is a rather convoluted way to get to them.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Link said:

I’m not sure that’s even possible. Three times already this year I have received refunds. #1 - vintage kitchen item - when I asked why, seller claimed the item was stolen from his storage locker. #2 - vintage video game figure - no explanation. I was the only bidder, and I have a feeling the seller wanted more money. #3 - computer accessory - I received an empty envelope with one side split. 

That's a relief, I can't keep up on what is or isn't able to be done. This would also explain the threat and not the follow through.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's up in the air who decides the ebay case. You can have great pictures and description. You can be a respectable ebay member with no negative feedback for decades. It doesn't matter. I've had ebay side with me as a seller and as a buyer--in both cases, I was telling the truth obviously.

However, I've had a buyer return a completely different item. An ebay rep told me over the phone that the case would most likely be decided in the buyer / scammer's favor and that I would have to go through an appeals process following the money being taken from my account and the ensuing defects to my account. I was told that I had to submit a police report with the officer name and report number. I did this and within a day or two, the money was returned to me and the defects removed.

I reported the buyer immediately after receiving the bunk return. That buyer is still on ebay, selling many items. Recent feedback shows as a seller, he / them sending people different items from what they ordered. I don't get it. Ebay's the wild west. It makes me mistrust all online transactions, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

• 3 weeks later...