IGNORED

Do you collect it all, or just the stuff you like?

Do you all collect EVERYTHING under the Sun video game related, just collect for specific systems, or specific game series...What is your collection like?

Personally, I collect for Nintendo, Playstation and PC. I also just started my collection of vintage micro computers. Game wise, I only collect games on those platforms, and only games that I like and will play. I have been known to sell or trade games I don't like. The big exception to this rule are the Resident Evil and Zelda games. I'm going for a complete collections on those particular series.

I once kind of was like that, but also just had enough free time to at least dabble my way through enough of a game to enjoy it whatever the platform (handheld, console, pc, etc.)

After the reality hit and slow painful losses around 2005 I don't and can't do it anymore.  Unless I actually care about it (kept it all these years even through losses, or originals recovered) or finding something else new I do like and will or do use, then it's a keeper.  But I'm done keeping crap around just to keep it pretty much.  I mean there are exceptions, some games the prices got so asinine it's stupid to sell unless you're like truly finished caring on the whole because recovery won't be an option.

I've got games that go into that 3 figure range entirely and then a select very few things above so they sit, mostly not favorites, a few are, just because they do make for a desperate rainy day recovery if it has to come to it.

I focus pre-2000, that's about it. I love people who focus all NES/SNES/GB or all Sega and have these huge in depth collections and tons of expertise but I could never cut off such big chunks of gaming personally. Well, except the modern era because it doesn't excite me as much. I have a bunch of sets, half loose, but as prices increase I'm focusing more on boxing my favorite/important games, documenting variants, and focusing on some historically interesting stuff just to stay out of the limelight of things that are on fire right now. I pretty much have everything I absolutely need, so everything I add to my collection now is just gravy.

• Like 1

Started with anything console or game related (didnt collect much else like signs, etc)

Ended up with wayyy too much stuff

Sat on it, curated it and slowly sold off stuff over the last few years and made a decent amount. 

Turned a small amount of that into finishing up buying the last few things I wanted. 

Sitting on the rest and slowly selling off stuff thats too hot to not sell if you paid 5$ for it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Sat on it, curated it and slowly sold off stuff over the last few years and made a decent amount. 

Turned a small amount of that into finishing up buying the last few things I wanted. 

I've done the same. I purged a few years ago. At one time I wanted a complete NES, SNES, Playstation 1 collection. Then I realized, unless I was MUCH more wealthy than I am now it wasn't gonna happen. I started to piecemeal items from my collection, to get the items I did want. I have a more curated (<---I love this word) collection now, and a higher appreciation for it.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I started collecting loose Game Boy games, going for a fullset. I decided not to break off into anything else, just a laser focus on USA GB games. Now, a few years later, I'm filling in sets of games for Game Boy Color, Atari Lynx, Game Gear, Game.com, R-Zone, NGPC, Virtual Boy, GB label variants, GB manuals, GB accessories, international GB games, DMG console variants, MGB console variants, and a few subsets of GBA games. I'm a fullset junkie, so yes I buy things I don't intend to play, and I pay good money for garbage.

Every time I expand my focus, though, I tell myself it's the LAST TIME. So it's definitely under control.

Anything I have for home consoles is whatever I had as a kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am a gamer first, collector second, so for me it's basically about either what I want to play or think I MIGHT want to play. It's still possible to buy games cheap in Taiwan, so I'm not super picky about what I pick up in general, as long as it's a system I'm interested in.

I basically like the Nintendo systems, OG XBOX and 360, and MD, so I could pick up something for any of those, as long as it's either cheap or I really want to play it, in which case I don't mind spending a little more.

The only system I would say I'm a REAL collector for is N64, because I'm going for a couple of sets. But even then, I plan to play MOST of the games at least to try em out.

• Like 3

I love the history behind the stuff I’m collecting, for me I’m focused primarily on everything pre-NES to the 16-bit. All companies. I occasionally dabble in PS1/PS2/DS for nostalgia’s sake, but they’re not my main focus. Although I could see myself really diving into PS2 someday because that was my childhood system I played the most of, not including handhelds.

I doubt I could ever do a full set. The only two that tempt me are the Master System and Odyssey 2.

• Like 2

When I started collecting, I wanted to go full sets didn't really care about loose or not.... I started buying/trading for a year or so then reality hit. "Man, I don't have the two things I'd absolutely have to have! Money and space 😅." Welp there goes that! Nowadays I am only collecting for a full set of Sega CD and starting to go thru and sell some stuff I bought years ago that I know I will never play. In addition to that I still look for boxes and manuals I need for some of the games that mean something to me, or just really like. Then somewhere along the way, I got an itch to buy a couple signs. Well shit. I bought those and hadn't stumbled across anymore and I'm trying hard to keep myself from seeking out more. 🥵

I collect mainly for nostalgia. Granted, I grew up with a bunch of consoles, but my childhood included playing outside or sat in front a TV playing video games. 

My collection consists mainly of games I'm interested in playing. The only console I buy all I games for is 3DS. 

9 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

I have respect for people collecting for OG Xbox. Not many people do. It's not my personal cup of tea, but it had some great games.

The thing I like most about the Xbox is if there was a multi platform release, it's the best in the Xbox. The controller gets a lot of flak, but I like having 6 face buttons. It makes fighters easier to manage. Xbox was the last arcade focused console too. Its another one of those consoles I'll pick up games for that seem interesting just because they're so cheap. However my Xbox collection has been at capacity for some time now. 

• Like 1

Im probably one of the few full set collectors left. That seemed like the main goal for most many years ago. I understand why it is seems daunting/unappealing to many. It is a huge money/space sync. It helps that I was able to finish off a number of sets years before. I may never actually complete certain sets but that's what keeps me motivated.

My focus has always been on cart based systems. Ive never had a desire to collect anything with discs because of how easily a game can be unusable even if they appear fine. With carts they either work or they dont, and if they dont there is a chance to fix it. If a CD stops working, thats it game over. I don't collect for every cart system though. For some reason Ive never been interested in anything Handheld, Turbographx, Odyssey 2, or Channel F . Maybe if I ever get done with the other systems Ill move into those.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im probably one of the few full set collectors left. That seemed like the main goal for most many years ago.

Maybe I'm just too old in this game, but I feel like this "full set" stuff is something that didn't really start to truly surface until recently. There's always been the occasional weirdo who wanted "all the games", but it wasn't until around 10 or so years ago that I started repeatedly running into a ton of people who've never been intro physical "retro" games previously who'd just automatically start assuming that someone who buys old games can be pushed anything remotely belonging to the same category, no matter how shitty it is.

It's not uncommon that I hear people in the local groupings around here saying stuff like "Wow, I didn't know you were collecting PS1 games too"

Bitch if I want the game, and it happens to be a PS1 game, then I'll buy a PS1 game.

• Like 2

I don't remember it either.  I used to joke in the 90s when I had access to thousands of cheap at retail + early ebay days of games that I'd love to have all them for this or that, but I never attempted it.  I wasn't under some delusion that every game on some Nintendo, NEC, Sega, etc system were great, let alone even average as a lot of crap spills through.  It seems when the internet really took off and emulation got to a point of general acceptance of quality in the 00s, this concept of pokemon'ing up all the games where you gotta get them all set in.  It made sense I guess, you could go so much for $1-5 it was nuts, and people weren't financial wizards trying to profiteer off every piece of cardboard, paper, plastic and foam too so it wasn't hard.  Your $10 game was $10 if it was beat to shit or complete in the box, so there was appeal.  Hat off to anyone (like above) who would even bother to do the full set on any system of good size (100+) games in this climate as it's madness.

• Like 1

I have only completed collections for two of my system:  the Atari 7800 and the Atari Lynx.  For my other systems (GBA, GBC, Xbox, PS2, Atari 5200, Atari 2600, PSP, Dreamcast, NES, Intellivision, and Genesis) I only get games that I like.  What I do try to do, though, is get CIB stuff whenever possible for any of those systems.  I also buy homebrews for all my systems when they are for games that I like. 

6 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I have only completed collections for two of my system:  the Atari 7800 and the Atari Lynx.  For my other systems (GBA, GBC, Xbox, PS2, Atari 5200, Atari 2600, PSP, Dreamcast, NES, Intellivision, and Genesis) I only get games that I like.  What I do try to do, though, is get CIB stuff whenever possible for any of those systems.  I also buy homebrews for all my systems when they are for games that I like. 

Full Lynx set? Niice. I have about a dozen titles CIB and sealed but I just don't come across them very often. Even retail stores usually don't have them.

Right now I have gone from wanting everything to collecting for systems I actually want and that I have. I really only want to do a full set for the U.S. Master System, but right now I’m getting anything I get. I’m also not specifically going for the U.S versions of the game, getting the PAL version of the game is just as good. Prices on eBay are going up, and I’m actually seeing deals at my local game store which never has deals, but that’s due to the fact that nobody was buying master system games, so more for me.

Other then that I’m getting any games I want for systems I have. I don’t plan on going for a full set for any other systems for now.