IGNORED

PC Engine Japanese only games playable without knowing japanese

rester

Has anybody compiled a thorough list of Japanese exclusive that can be played without knowing the language? Shooters, platformers, action games, etc.

If not - would would be open to working together and put one up? 

Edited by rester

Off the top of my head: Out Run, Final Soldier, Daimkaimura (SGX), Granzort (SGX), Darius Plus, Toilet Kids, Hana Taka Daka, Gradius, Salamander, Coryoon (if you have a kidney to spare), Götzendiener (SCDR2), Circus Lido, Star Mobile, Ai Cho Aniki (SCDR2), Rondo of Blood (SCDR2)

Didn't put any crappy titles in there but there should be a few of these as well

Some of my own more-or-less favourites that are perfectly playable without Japanese knowledge:

• Son Son II (figuring out what some items do will take some testing, but it's not an obstacle, and the game is great)
  • Legend of Hero Tonma
  • Dracula X
  • Mr. Heli
  • Spriggan
  • Momotarou Katsugeki
  • Salamander
  • Ai Cho Aniki
  • Detana!! Twinbee
  • Galaga '88
  • Super Star Soldier
  • Soldier Blade
  • Nexzr
  • Jigoku Meguri (Bonze Adventure)
  • Side Arms
  • Dragon Egg
  • Batman
  • Vigilante
  • Bomberman '94
  • Pop 'n Magic
  • Pomping World (Pang)
  • Tower of Druaga (has a lot ofJapanese text, but once you get the hang of it, it's unimportant)
  • PC Genjin (Bonk) 3
  • Rainbow Islands
  • Don Doko Don
  • Genpei Touma Den
  • Hana Taka Daka!?
  • Marchen Maze
  • Image Fight
  • Aoi Blink
  • Cross Wiber
  • Alice in Wonderdream

You're not gonna get a complete comprehensive list, because it's honestly almost all of the games on the platform. 🙂 

20 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You're not gonna get a complete comprehensive list, because it's honestly almost all of the games on the platform. 🙂 

You prob would be better off making a list of games you can't play.  Cross off rpgs, visual novels, board games.  Everything else you are golden.

If I can remember where I saw it, someone in the last 1-3 years made a pretty solid list of anything that works without knowing Japanese with the worst being just a few menus being in the way, but otherwise solid, right down to entirely being in english.  There is even the JB Harold Mystery game that starts in Japanese (google it) you can tab a few steps into the menu and the entire game has an english option so it's playable as well.

I would love to see a list like this. This guy has put in some similar work that may give a decent starting point... (apologies if the TG-16 rom set link is not ok and I will remove, but I couldn't find a similar list on the associated website).

https://archive.org/details/TurboGrafx16AndPCEngineChampionCollection

https://retrogamechampion.com/retro-games-archive/turbografx-cd/