IGNORED

Sega Genesis sealed John Madden Football

Okay here's the deal. Over the years, Ive found quite a few Electronic Arts Sega Genesis games here in Taiwan. Initially I thought there might have been funny business going on, since the Electronic Arts games were manufactured in Taiwan, but I later stumbled upon a magazine advert that showed that the North American version games were also (seemingly) officially distributed here. That would make sense as to why I've seen them on numerous occasions.

Anyways, I went to a shop last weekend after church, grabbed a sealed John Madden Football.

I tried to look at other pictures online to compare the seal, this seal didn't seem to match though I am sure the shopkeeper did not reseal it. I got it from the notorious "dust shop", @OptOut has also been there numerous times.

So I just want to figure out the story with this one, as well as possible values. It's up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

IMG20200718185232.jpg

IMG20200718185301.jpg

IMG20200718185256.jpg

IMG20200718185241.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

37 minutes ago, The Count said:

That's actually pretty tough to find. I'd consider getting it slabbed first and then auction it off.

Although I don't think the shopkeeper resealed it (none of his other games were sealed, and Japanese games were never sealed to begin with, thus no logical reason why he'd only seal this one) , I'm not sure if it's the correct factory seal for this game or not.  I'm hoping someone who is more of an expert can help me.

Also, thanks for the advice! If  I sold it, that's likely what I'd do.

Edited by fcgamer

@fcgamer, I would presume this is a legit seal. Hard to imagine anyone trying to reseal a Madden game for profit, particularly when there appears to be some tearing of the seal consistent with age-related wear. 

I would hesitate and think carefully about grading this one due to seal wear and minor dents to the box, and a title that isn’t highly sought after. I doubt it if people will pay mega bucks for this game in this particular condition. Also you need to weigh up how much hassles there will be in posting for grading, anxiously waiting for it to come back, and a question mark if it will be of profit (or if at all).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
58 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Huh, I hadn't heard that? Where you get that info from?

Yeah, I really thought it was a legit seal, but I am not going to question Jonebone about Genesis' seals (or any seals for that matter). Jonas knows his seals better than almost anyone in the hobby.

Hopefully, he chimes back in here and tells what was off about this Madden's seal. 

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Yeah, I really thought it was a legit seal, but I am not going to question Jonebone about Genesis' seals (or any seals for that matter). Jonas knows his seals better than almost anyone in the hobby.

Hopefully, he chimes back in here and tells what was off about this Madden's seal. 

Agreed. I'm not doubting I just want more information.

37 minutes ago, inasuma said:

p sure people have lives outside of a video game forum (it's not even been 24 hours since jb posted last lol)

Lol, you're shitting me dude, surely! You can't seriously expect me to believe you degenerates have actual lives! 😅

Anyway you know me, I'm an impatient SOB! 😉

Edited by OptOut
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, jonebone said:

This was a reseal, thought most people realized that.

Right, says the guy that was quick to message me about buying it, then backed off after I said I didn't know the value but would consider selling it. 

From my end of it, here are the facts:

#1:  I bought this game at a prominent toy shop that was in the city since the Atari days.

#2:  None of the other games the shop had were sealed.

#3: The shrink-wrap used on this one is the same style as legit shrink-wrap, it's not the hard crinkly kind that the local shops would use if shrinking games.

#4: Considering bootlegs and Japanese games were never even shrink-wrapped, why bother shrinking this one particular game, only, and then seek out a proper style shrink-wrap to go with?

#5: It definitely wasn't resealed to trick folks into thinking it was new, considering where it came from, that would be nuts.

Finally though, here is the piece of evidence that confirms to me that this is a legit sealed copy, and it's sort of the smoking gun. Those that think it isn't legit (Jone even said he wasn't sure either way in our DMs) better come up with evidence as to why this isn't legit, as being legit seems to be much more in the realm of realism, given the following:

Electronic Arts did their manufacturing of Sega games in Taiwan, and they also sold their USA games in Taiwan. This is fact, 100%.

So that's how and why the game got here, it went from company to local shop for sale, brand spankin' new. That's why only this game was sealed, of all the possible titles that could have been "resealed", that's why the shrink-wrap doesn't match the kind that the local shopkeepers would use, etc.

So if Jone feels that this is a reseal, I want hard, concrete evidence, otherwise he shouldn't be spouting off nonsense, especially when potentially large amounts of money are in play.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Right, says the guy that was quick to message me about buying it, then backed off after I said I didn't know the value but would consider selling it. 

From my end of it, here are the facts:

#1:  I bought this game at a prominent toy shop that was in the city since the Atari days.

#2:  None of the other games the shop had were sealed.

#3: The shrink-wrap used on this one is the same style as legit shrink-wrap, it's not the hard crinkly kind that the local shops would use if shrinking games.

#4: Considering bootlegs and Japanese games were never even shrink-wrapped, why bother shrinking this one particular game, only, and then seek out a proper style shrink-wrap to go with?

#5: It definitely wasn't resealed to trick folks into thinking it was new, considering where it came from, that would be nuts.

Finally though, here is the piece of evidence that confirms to me that this is a legit sealed copy, and it's sort of the smoking gun. Those that think it isn't legit (Jone even said he wasn't sure either way in our DMs) better come up with evidence as to why this isn't legit, as being legit seems to be much more in the realm of realism, given the following:

Electronic Arts did their manufacturing of Sega games in Taiwan, and they also sold their USA games in Taiwan. This is fact, 100%.

So that's how and why the game got here, it went from company to local shop for sale, brand spankin' new. That's why only this game was sealed, of all the possible titles that could have been "resealed", that's why the shrink-wrap doesn't match the kind that the local shopkeepers would use, etc.

So if Jone feels that this is a reseal, I want hard, concrete evidence, otherwise he shouldn't be spouting off nonsense, especially when potentially large amounts of money are in play.

First off, don't give me that shit attitude like you do everyone else.  I don't give opinions on real vs. fake anymore because I get tired of giving free advice when people don't appreciate or then want to argue about it (like this).

I went thru our PMs, looks like in July 2020 I said hey I'm interested, you said you had no idea on value, then I responded I went back through the pictures and couldn't authenticate it as real so I'd pass.  I'm one of the biggest sealed Madden collectors around so the fact that I wasn't willing to make an offer should say something.  I only have this game sealed clamshell, not cardboard.

Regardless, the Wata one sold was a V-overlap seam and finally a legit one sold on eBay after his death.  This is what a cardboard style seal should look like, yours is neither.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203756983260

So, while I don't think it is a factory seal as we'd expect in the USA, the good news for you is that Wata authenticates all sorts of non official seals sometimes (like the LJN copies that were weird, the SMB3 "export" seal which isn't V-Seam, etc.)  The lines on your boxes look like there's no color break at least, so perhaps wata could grade it as NS (No Seal) or name it as some distributor seal.  That seal wasn't done by the traditional factory sealing method though, that much is obvious.

End of day you'd now probably have to pay at least $10k to get it graded in declared value and worry about getting it across borders.  I told you to get it graded in July 2020 if you were serious about selling, waiting has only costed you thousands of dollars in the meantime.  You shit on grading plenty but now that it's convenient for you of course you'd be interested.

No more free advice here, I've said my piece and people can make their own conclusions.  I also barely check these forums once a day if that, so heaven forbid if I have better things to do than log in repeatedly to see what threads I need to respond to.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Eyeroll 2

12 minutes ago, jonebone said:

First off, don't give me that shit attitude like you do everyone else. 

That shit attitude? That's rich, coming from the guy begging me to send his game non flat rate box back in 2014 or whatever, just so you could save $0.50, when I specifically stated in my sale thread everything was going out flat rate, and under market price, as I didn't have time to fart around with things since I was only home for a week.

You want to talk about shit attitudes, that was definitely one of them.