IGNORED

Gamecube Metroid Prime Variant Cover??

jxmx3

With Gamecube stuff picking up. I thought i would resurrect my thread from the flames of nintendoage. 

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/comment/3164231#Comment_3164231

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Found this a while ago and knew something just wasnt right. The Spine is completely different from all the other ones i have seen. (Standard version is on the right) 

It doesnt seem to be a reproduction, the paper quality is the same as all other gamecube games. Im thinking it must be a later release as well.

The picture quality on the back seems to be a little fuzzy. As far as i can tell the manaul and disc all have the same markings as the normal one.

Has any one seen or have another like this? any ideas if it was a later release or a pack in ? I dont see a "not for resale" anywhere. (Higher quality image attached below the imbedded image) .. uploaded higher Quality Image

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had gotten a few comments about it, and nothing really definitive until a user "nikkums" said he found one as well. (not sure if he is on here or not) but was just wondering if any one else has found one and wondering if we could track down when or what this was released with.

met.png

met1.JPG

met2.JPG

I am gonna throw a guess out there.

It could be a game store pre release box, like a shelf holder (before retail art was finalized).

GameStop has long had the policy of a "store copy" that is opened and the employees could borrow, but when it's the last copy in the store it gets sold (as "new" usually, sigh) so maybe that box was grabbed.

Very cool though, I have no idea. I hope it's a first print variant.

23 hours ago, jxmx3 said:

With Gamecube stuff picking up. I thought i would resurrect my thread from the flames of nintendoage. 

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/comment/3164231#Comment_3164231

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Found this a while ago and knew something just wasnt right. The Spine is completely different from all the other ones i have seen. (Standard version is on the right) 

It doesnt seem to be a reproduction, the paper quality is the same as all other gamecube games. Im thinking it must be a later release as well.

The picture quality on the back seems to be a little fuzzy. As far as i can tell the manaul and disc all have the same markings as the normal one.

Has any one seen or have another like this? any ideas if it was a later release or a pack in ? I dont see a "not for resale" anywhere. (Higher quality image attached below the imbedded image) .. uploaded higher Quality Image

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had gotten a few comments about it, and nothing really definitive until a user "nikkums" said he found one as well. (not sure if he is on here or not) but was just wondering if any one else has found one and wondering if we could track down when or what this was released with.

met.png

met1.JPG

met2.JPG

Are the UPC codes the same?

• 3 weeks later...

Look familiar? Same font and everything. I found this today at my local flea market, sadly disc missing. However, the registration card was with it which makes me doubt its some kind of bootleg. I also no nothing definitive about this version aside from the fact that apparently Metroid Prime also has a "black spine" variant...  Edit: the UPC code is the same as my normal copy of sunshine.

Sunshine.jpg

Edited by Explodium
forgot to mention upc code
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Confused 1

Seeing as the only clue to go off of is the lettering itself, I decided to do a reverse search of the text. The font used appears to be Serpentine sans regular https://www.fontsplace.com/serpentine-sans-icg-free-font-download.html

Edit: dead end, but the font does look familiar to me, I cant quite place it though...

Edited by Explodium

10 hours ago, Explodium said:

Look familiar? Same font and everything. I found this today at my local flea market, sadly disc missing. However, the registration card was with it which makes me doubt its some kind of bootleg. I also no nothing definitive about this version aside from the fact that apparently Metroid Prime also has a "black spine" variant...  Edit: the UPC code is the same as my normal copy of sunshine.

[picture] 

What does the code read that is above the UPC and to the right of the Dolby logo. The one that starts as "DOL P..."

This might be a long shot, but maybe what's happening is that these inserts are created using a special tool that needs an image per section-- a front image, back image and a spine image.  Nintendo might use those first and third party images to then "build" the final image that's printed, by properly applying the top overlay on the front, and the bottom overlays on the side and back, all of which as standard.

Now, if there was some type of print error, maybe the printer would default the name of the game, or something on the back.  Sort of place holders.  I highly doubt any botched printings of the front or back would slip past QA, but I could definitely see a semi-formalized side label getting past QA for a batch or two.  However, once the print was noticed, it might have been halted, re-printed and then production might have continued.  In that case,  who knows, maybe only a few cases of both games went out the door this way.

The fact that these were both at E3 is interesting, but if this has a registration card, it definitely makes it seem like it was an official release.  I have no clue what's going on, but this is my best guess and would kind of make sense.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

This might be a long shot, but maybe what's happening is that these inserts are created using a special tool that needs an image per section-- a front image, back image and a spine image.  Nintendo might use those first and third party images to then "build" the final image that's printed, by properly applying the top overlay on the front, and the bottom overlays on the side and back, all of which as standard.

Now, if there was some type of print error, maybe the printer would default the name of the game, or something on the back.  Sort of place holders.  I highly doubt any botched printings of the front or back would slip past QA, but I could definitely see a semi-formalized side label getting past QA for a batch or two.  However, once the print was noticed, it might have been halted, re-printed and then production might have continued.  In that case,  who knows, maybe only a few cases of both games went out the door this way.

The fact that these were both at E3 is interesting, but if this has a registration card, it definitely makes it seem like it was an official release.  I have no clue what's going on, but this is my best guess and would kind of make sense.

Its more complicated that that unfortunately. Take a close look at the ESRB logos, the black spine one is closer to the E in sunshine. Also the grey lines that radiate out from the center on the normal copy fade to white near the center, on the black spine copy they are much more visible. Also the black spine one's pre-owned sticker is dated 12/20/03, a few months after the Player Choice copy was released. If you look at a normal PC copy the ESRB logo is closer but not in the exact same spot. So the cover was likely not from the same file used to print normal copies or PC copies. I really really wish I could closely inspect that copy of Metroid Prime. 

This is just a thought, but maybe it could be a media review copy (IGN, GameSpot, etc)? Having a standardized spine for different games could make sense in that application but idk. Trying to think of any situation where it might make sense to have a different version that would be so rare that less than a handful have cropped up in almost 2 decades.

Edited by Explodium

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 1:54 AM, Explodium said:

Sunshine.jpg

This is absolutely amazing

Man that is so awesome. Ive been away busy as a late and what an awesome surprise to see something like this has been discovered.

Yep that is exactly the same font and everything. Ill post mine side by side with the retail version. the big difference i can tell of the 2 is the Quality of the print. Mine is not as sharp as the retail and picts look just a little blurry, however the paper is the very same as every gamecube cover i have ever handled. However the only other difference i can tell is that it the entire cover is shifted down just a wee tiny bit. It is a little more obvious on Metroid because you can see Samus's foot and there is less on mine then the retail. The sunshine one appears to that way as well with just a little bit less area under the Nintendo logo on the bottom right of the front cover.

Still not sure where in the world these came from but some kind of a review copy or E3 preview is very possible.

side by side.jpg

• 1 year later...