IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Target Renegade

BeaIank

14 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

I actually was pretty confident I'd break 30k. My final score of 28k came on Friday. I tried a few times, but could not put together a good run today.  I'm pleased to have crushed my previous high score of 18k and also complete the game. I feel you did really well! Was this your first time playing the game? 

Also: F$%^ those karate dudes!  They ended several of my runs...

It was my first time playing it and I am happy any time I finish with more than participation points in this field. I played a lot early in the week and burned out on it some. Only beat it the one time and it was the only time I got through the karate guys. I didn't think the rest was too difficult. Those tuxedo guys are slow and the final boss wasn't real tough. I can't imagine going all the way through just punching though. That is a crazy feat. 

Edited by NESfiend

52 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Your second place score from 2013 wouldn't have even made the top 8 this time!

You know, the tuxedo dudes in the last two stages leave hearts when you're low on health. But I didn't go for any of those because I was already on such good pace that I didn't want to risk it. (Red probably went for them.)

Nor did I go for the hearts dropped by the skateboarders because I wanted to conserve health for stage 6.  I also took too much damage on some stages and got a lower health bonus  than I should  have.  I could probably hit over 38k with a great run and going for more hearts.

Sure did.  I don't think I got all the points I could have from them though (and I probably didn't get the best possible health bonus every time either), so a higher score should be possible.

Congrats on the win.

Events Team · Posted

This week NES Weekly Contest players had the pleasure to indulge in one of the most appraised game ever featured in the competition : Target Renegade!

All the pressure was on @mbd39's shoulders as he had a recorded score of 37,160 in the 2017 contest, which placed him as a serious contender as 'mutant high rollers' @BeaIank and @Red were most probably out of the competition, though you can absolutely never be sure with Red's assassin type of posting crazy last minute scores without notice. Good news folks, It seems that everything played out right for Mike as he even achieved to beat his previous self with a winning score of 37,350! Congrats for the well deserved win Michael, now your wrists can take a beneficial rest and your brain won't have to worry about picking hearts for, at the very least, a couple years! Following closely in the 36k range, @bertsampson upset his BFF @Bearcat-Doug with a Sunday update of 36,840, while Doug was taking it 'Miller Lite' easy on his 36,100 score, which BTW is still a great score! Next in line, it seems that @Richardhead suddenly found special charm in this NES hidden gem as he worked up an impressive score of 34,920, which marks a huge jump from his 2017 effort!

Out of the 30k+ club, but still deserving honorable mention, we have a valuable set of four players who achieved to net a high 26k+ score, which is nothing to be shy about. We have, in order of rank, @ninjistar 'I'm still waiting on you to setup the Contest Archives' with 28,085, @NESfiend 'Dad of the year' with 27,835.  @Jeevan 'I like boys' with 27,310 and @8bitdontquit 'I don't talk much but I'm not quit yet' with 26,325. And now let me get something straight : ALL THE OTHER SCORES POSTED SUCK!

Thanks to everyone playing and posting in the contest, and make sure to take a look at the special break week we have with a Videomation contest, featuring a high tech software program to make NES drawings. So take it easy off, but make sure to express your artistic self and post some Videomation arts!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Your second place score from 2013 wouldn't have even made the top 8 this time!

You know, the tuxedo dudes in the last two stages leave hearts when you're low on health. But I didn't go for any of those because I was already on such good pace that I didn't want to risk it. (Red probably went for them.)

Nor did I go for the hearts dropped by the skateboarders because I wanted to conserve health for stage 6.  I also took too much damage on some stages and got a lower health bonus  than I should  have.  I could probably hit over 38k with a great run and going for more hearts.

I think I found everything then. I noticed you could get more bikers on the first two levels by knocking off one at a time. The bikers, skateboarders and bouncers all drop hearts when you let them hit you. Since I hit 36k, I probably did leave 1-2k points on the table by not taking the extra damage. Great job on the win, you earned it!

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think I found everything then. I noticed you could get more bikers on the first two levels by knocking off one at a time. The bikers, skateboarders and bouncers all drop hearts when you let them hit you. Since I hit 36k, I probably did leave 1-2k points on the table by not taking the extra damage. Great job on the win, you earned it!

You can get a bunch of hearts from the knife throwers and yellow haired enemies right before the boss in stage 4. And from the enemies  that you face after the karate guys and before the tuxedo guys in stage 6.

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

Final scoreboard posted.

13 brave players braced this amazing and beloved game to achieve scores this week.
Surely all of them can't wait the time they will have to play this competitively again!

I'm so ready to get over 38k when we play this again!

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned