IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Target Renegade

BeaIank

2 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just gave it a few more tries and almost made it to the final level. Those bouncers or whatever they are at the end of level 6 have a tendency to attack so fast, that you can't evade anymore. hat guy just hit me over and over until I was dead and my last life wasted. Still got to around 21k, but I can't imagine how scores of 35k and above are possible. Feels as if I'm potentially missing a way to earn points. Or is it really just hitting everyone with your fists all the time?

I just punch/kick everyone, but I'm missing out on that last 2000-3000 points somewhere.

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just punch/kick everyone, but I'm missing out on that last 2000-3000 points somewhere.

I read something in the old thread that seemed to imply all punching was the way to go? Is that wrong? If you get the same points for kicks, I'm making this harder than it needs to be. 

The other thing I noticed that may be your answer is heart production.  I noticed for some enemies, like the bikes, dudes that shoot the one arrow, and a couple others, if they are kicking my ass, they seem to produce more hearts as a handicap. Maybe you are missing out on hearts because your runs are too clean?

Doesn't matter much since the few more times I've played, still got my ass kicked by level 5 skateboarders. Hoping I can make a deeper run this weekend. 

Edit: I am pretty sure now the extra hearts only come from motorcycles and skateboards. Motorcycles only works when there are two on screen. Not sure if that's true for the skateboarders also. You can rack points taking a beating from the duel motorcycles and collecting hearts from them after. 

Edited by NESfiend

12 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I read something in the old thread that seemed to imply all punching was the way to go? Is that wrong? If you get the same points for kicks, I'm making this harder than it needs to be. 

The other thing I noticed that may be your answer is heart production.  I noticed for some enemies, like the bikes, dudes that shoot the one arrow, and a couple others, if they are kicking my ass, they seem to produce more hearts as a handicap. Maybe you are missing out on hearts because your runs are too clean?

Doesn't matter much since the few more times I've played, still got my ass kicked by level 5 skateboarders. Hoping I can make a deeper run this weekend. 

I can't tell any difference between an all punch run and an all kick run. I tried both. I thought that intentionally taking damage may result in more heart drops, but I didn't get a chance to test that theory yet.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I can't tell any difference between an all punch run and an all kick run. I tried both. I thought that intentionally taking damage may result in more heart drops, but I didn't get a chance to test that theory yet.

I just played level 5 again and the skateboarders were beating my ass hard. In the first bunch, almost every one produced a heart. If you arent seeing any hearts when you go through that portion, that may be a big clue. 

I know the motorcycles give hearts if you let them hit you a few times. I was getting hearts from them here and there when I first started playing Sunday and sucked. Now that I get through them clean each time, no hearts. 

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I just played level 5 again and the skateboarders were beating my ass hard. In the first bunch, almost every one produced a heart. If you arent seeing any hearts when you go through that portion, that may be a big clue. 

I know the motorcycles give hearts if you let them hit you a few times. I was getting hearts from them here and there when I first started playing Sunday and sucked. Now that I get through them clean each time, no hearts. 

That may be it. It seemed like I got more hearts if I got hit a few times, but the drops still seemed kind of random.

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That may be it. It seemed like I got more hearts if I got hit a few times, but the drops still seemed kind of random.

It may also be based on how low your health bar is. Opposite of most NES games, it seems to produce health when you actually need it!

Updating score on page 1. Finally got to level 6. 

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've actually had that glitch happen to me before. I thought it was a dirty cart.

When it was happening, when I moved right, they'd go red. When I moved left, they'd go blue. Some of the skateboard guys clothes and boards went red too. Crazy

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had read that this was originally supposed to be a Double Dragon game, but the developers weren't able to get the license after it was already finished. That would explain all of the similarities.

Yeah. This game wishes it was Double Dragon.

Score update on page 1. Finally beat it. I was really conservative on the last 3 levels to make sure I got through. I will do another run or two, but not much more.  30k plus scores are crazy and I dont see myself getting enough more to move up a spot in a weekend. Fun game though. Pumped I beat it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Score update on page 1. Finally beat it. I was really conservative on the last 3 levels to make sure I got through. I will do another run or two, but not much more.  30k plus scores are crazy and I dont see myself getting enough more to move up a spot in a weekend. Fun game though. Pumped I beat it!

Great job!

• Thanks 1