IGNORED

Are you thinking about selling?

A list of things I am tempted to sell knowing the prices now.  I have played a few of these or just haven't touched them in years.

Castlenavia SOTN Black Label

Lunar

Paper Mario Thousand Year Door

Chibi -  Robo

Mario Party 2 + 3

Edited by zeppelin03

26 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Lunar

Paper Mario Thousand Year Door

Chibi -  Robo

I'd choose these 3 to sell if I had then still. I sold TTYD for 75 earlier this year and thought I was getting one over on the buyer. Silly me lol.

SOTN defines the genre and I see it as a pilar in gaming history. 

Mario Party is my wife's favorite series so she doesn't let me sell tho lol  

I've always tried to keep my collection to one small shelf. When it becomes overflowing I'll sell a few things off. With Gamecube prices going bonkers I might consider parting with a few of them. If Snatcher and Space Adventure Cobra ever reach Keio $2000 level then I might bite too.

51 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I'd choose these 3 to sell if I had then still. I sold TTYD for 75 earlier this year and thought I was getting one over on the buyer. Silly me lol.

SOTN defines the genre and I see it as a pilar in gaming history. 

Mario Party is my wife's favorite series so she doesn't let me sell tho lol  

I can't argue with that list.  My wife saying she doesn't want to sell anything shortened the list a bit more too.

At one point I was the guy that wanted everything Nintendo and Playstation. I've reached the point where I only want games that I will play. However I am still going for a complete Resident Evil and Zelda collection. To be honest, I rather trade some of the stuff I don't want for the stuff I do want.

Retro collecting was so much easier in the late 90' and early 00's. Everything was available AND cheap! I miss those days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gloves said:

At the moment there are no equally or better condition CIB copies available, so I'd have to pass. Mine is better condition at the least than any that I can see on ebay.

I can understand the sentiment. I have a copy myself, and have no interest in selling it regardless of price.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My golf clubs aren't stocks either.  But if someone suddenly wanted to give me $1,000 for them, I'm falling over myself to get that cash.

Yep. Unless I planned on flipping a game instantly I never bought anything in my collection as an investment but with rising prices I've sold a number of games and boxes because I think it would be stupid not to. Get $500 for a game I never play and paid $5 for... yes please. Having said that, the initial post is kind of outlining it like a stock market with selling it before the bottom falls out (which I don't think will happen).

15 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yep. Unless I planned on flipping a game instantly I never bought anything in my collection as an investment but with rising prices I've sold a number of games and boxes because I think it would be stupid not to. Get $500 for a game I never play and paid $5 for... yes please. Having said that, the initial post is kind of outlining it like a stock market with selling it before the bottom falls out (which I don't think will happen).

Similar thought process here.  I've never had any intention of selling and I've never bought anything for the sole purpose of selling.  However, with prices the way they are, I'm considering selling some of the games for systems that I''m not passionate about in order to help fund the systems that I am passionate about.  Especially if the games in question that I might sell have a good alternative for playing them (flash cart for example).  

I bought up a couple copies of Pokemon Red/Blue sort of in anticipation that prices would eventually get to $5k-10k+ levels, only problem is I didn't really anticipate they would go up so quickly.

I would look at anything that's fairly rare/sought after or "key" to be something that will either maintain value or keep increasing.  By their nature, there aren't going to be a huge number of key/staple games, so the investor types looking to fill out a video game portfolio ( or whatever you want to call it ) are competing over a fairly small pool of titles.  

26 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

No, i'd feel like an idiot if I amassed all this stuff only to try and flip it for profit. I could have been investing that money in real estate or stocks and done much better, I actually want to own the things I have.

Really.....  Much better???  Have you seen the increase of games recently?  Over a ten or twenty year period I would say they easily outpaced the market gains.  I don't know anything about real estate but the returns on vintage games have been amazing.

Edited by tbone3969

20 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Really.....  have you seen the increase of games recently?  Over a ten or twenty year period I would say they easily outpaced the market gains.  I don't know anything about real estate but the returns on vintage games have been amazing.

Yeah. My collection has raised from like 225k to maybe 275k, so 50 thousand dollars across thousands of games. While the increases have been impressive overall and extremely so in specific instances, it isn't anywhere near enough to bother. I've spent over 10 years collecting and I can make almost 6 figures a year just by working, if I was looking to 'gain' by investing i'd be pumping money into stocks and other things. I made 20k profit out of an Apple stock back a few years ago in just a year, the only reason I haven't been able to keep at it were multiple moves and job changes but I hope to learn more about investing and get more growth out of it in the coming years.

It's bizarre to me that people have money to play with, enough to play with to buy old videogames, but they somehow come to look at them as an 'investment' when far superior options exist if you care to learn about them, options that don't involve losing something you may actually want. Then again, almost everything I own is something I find interesting and want to own it, i'd rather all of my stuff had cost a dollar simply because I wanted it, not because it 'might pay off one day'. I suppose if you just casually bought a bunch of stuff for 5-10 bucks and it's worth thousands it would make sense, you didn't have a lot of money and now you can have more, but when I already spent 400 bucks on a copy of Shantae it being worth 1200 now, 800 isn't going to change my life.

I would need to be able to make enough money to change my life to consider it, otherwise I can just keep working and making money that way while investing like most people do. You also have to look at it from a practical sense, while one stock might not gain you a double profit, you can pump in and out as many as you'd like, so if you know what to do and have say, 10k to throw around, you'll get a lot further than when dealing with things as limited to find such as impossible to find videogames. 

I suppose it all just boils down to different people and opinions, I have an area setup to a degree that merely being in the room makes me feel happy, it's magnificent to me. If I just had a few old games lying around worth thousands and didn't really want them anymore sure, though to be honest considering i've always been at odds with sealed collectors and such as well, it's probably just down to the fact I don't buy things I don't actually ever want to use, if I wanted to do that and make money, i'd buy stocks, sterile as they are it serves that function.

If you're looking at it from a 20 year period, that still makes no sense, you'd literally have to store, take care of and offload that item and do so with the proper timing, trading and profiting off videogames is in no way the smarter way to make large amounts of money. Give a smart investor and game collector 10k right now, and they will make far more making intelligent decisions in any normal investment market than they would with games. If it's just about the money to you, you could be doing a lot better than storing your copy of a game that may either be worth 5k one day (unlikely) or your game that went from 40 to now 80 years later. When you consider how much a mint shape copy of say, Mario 3 is worth today vs when it launched combined with inflation, the odds aren't in your favor unless you were sitting on tons of discounted copies of Shantae, Hagane and Little Samson for decades.

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 5

The parasitic losses involved with selling on eBay are usually deterrent enough to keep me from going hog wild on selling. Their cut (along with PayPal, postage, and taxes) hasn’t become any more seller friendly so I’ll probably just sit on my favorite expensive stuff. Maybe I’ll go blind or lose my hands in a freak accident, then it’ll be a bit more prudent to sell. 

Or if there’s an afterlife / I become a ghost, maybe I’ll die one of these days and laugh while my family sells Dreamcast and Saturn games on eBay for way too cheap and then mails them without any padding or protection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

If you're looking at it from a 20 year period, that still makes no sense...

Yeah, it makes no sense NOW, as the market is essentially stabilized, but trust me, if you got in this video game thing 20 years ago like I did, you would see that video games from 2000 to 2020 have FAR outgained almost all other forms of investments.  In fact it's so much so, that I was going to create a thread about it in light of what I recently saw on eBay.  Now, I buy my games for keeps like you and I don't care what they're "valued" at, however, eBay just recently put in a ton of extra information into my feedback, dating back like 12 years or so, and showing extactly what items I bought and for how much.  And let me tell you, I've bought a TON of sealed games in the last twenty years, somewhat to help the sealed contents list, but mostly just to get dead mint CIB's for my collection, and the prices I paid for this stuff just ten years ago blows my mind compared to today's prices.  I'm probably going to take some pics and make a thread at some point...

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

Yeah. My collection has raised from like 225k to maybe 275k, so 50 thousand dollars across thousands of games. While the increases have been impressive overall and extremely so in specific instances, it isn't anywhere near enough to bother. I've spent over 10 years collecting and I can make almost 6 figures a year just by working, if I was looking to 'gain' by investing i'd be pumping money into stocks and other things. I made 20k profit out of an Apple stock back a few years ago in just a year, the only reason I haven't been able to keep at it were multiple moves and job changes but I hope to learn more about investing and get more growth out of it in the coming years.

It's bizarre to me that people have money to play with, enough to play with to buy old videogames, but they somehow come to look at them as an 'investment' when far superior options exist if you care to learn about them, options that don't involve losing something you may actually want. Then again, almost everything I own is something I find interesting and want to own it, i'd rather all of my stuff had cost a dollar simply because I wanted it, not because it 'might pay off one day'. I suppose if you just casually bought a bunch of stuff for 5-10 bucks and it's worth thousands it would make sense, you didn't have a lot of money and now you can have more, but when I already spent 400 bucks on a copy of Shantae it being worth 1200 now, 800 isn't going to change my life.

I would need to be able to make enough money to change my life to consider it, otherwise I can just keep working and making money that way while investing like most people do. You also have to look at it from a practical sense, while one stock might not gain you a double profit, you can pump in and out as many as you'd like, so if you know what to do and have say, 10k to throw around, you'll get a lot further than when dealing with things as limited to find such as impossible to find videogames. 

I suppose it all just boils down to different people and opinions, I have an area setup to a degree that merely being in the room makes me feel happy, it's magnificent to me. If I just had a few old games lying around worth thousands and didn't really want them anymore sure, though to be honest considering i've always been at odds with sealed collectors and such as well, it's probably just down to the fact I don't buy things I don't actually ever want to use, if I wanted to do that and make money, i'd buy stocks, sterile as they are it serves that function.

If you're looking at it from a 20 year period, that still makes no sense, you'd literally have to store, take care of and offload that item and do so with the proper timing, trading and profiting off videogames is in no way the smarter way to make large amounts of money. Give a smart investor and game collector 10k right now, and they will make far more making intelligent decisions in any normal investment market than they would with games. If it's just about the money to you, you could be doing a lot better than storing your copy of a game that may either be worth 5k one day (unlikely) or your game that went from 40 to now 80 years later. When you consider how much a mint shape copy of say, Mario 3 is worth today vs when it launched combined with inflation, the odds aren't in your favor unless you were sitting on tons of discounted copies of Shantae, Hagane and Little Samson for decades.

Your Shantae example isn’t helping your argument as that would literally beat any financial market you could play % wise. Multiply that by thousands of games and you could see why some people actually consider their collection an investment. It’s no different than more mature collectibles like comics and baseball cards. People have been making mints speculating on them for decades.