IGNORED

WATA Turnaround Times?

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

My Speedrun submission should be arriving at their office tomorrow. I'm expecting it back mid January.

Ten months later... 💀

But seriously... I hope it arrives in time! Plus I am also hoping to get any games I can submit right away graded in 2021. Because not being able to submit them now is as fun as the time I found Square Enix's headquarters in Shinjuku.

It's there, they have a shop near by, but that is pretty much it.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I literally posted an update in my My Beginner Experience With Wata thread right before you posted this.

The only communication I got from them since this started was to ask for more money.

This happened to me too and it didn't sit well. The grading company is telling ME how much MY games are worth... with ZERO transparency. I would be more inclined to pay the "additional charges" if the company openly provided population reports. Markets cannot not determined by a "wink wink just trust me", especially not by a third party for profit grading company.

12 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

This happened to me too and it didn't sit well. The grading company is telling ME how much MY games are worth... with ZERO transparency. I would be more inclined to pay the "additional charges" if the company openly provided population reports. Markets cannot not determined by a "wink wink just trust me", especially not by a third party for profit grading company.

i dont understand this.  you hire them to grade your games based on condition, not tell you how much your games are worth. 

41 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Wata doesn't tell you what your games are worth. Why would you think that? While it's possible someone has a private collection they don't share, I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what has been graded for each game, anyone can go look at public sales or Facebook groups showing off Wata games.

Since they do charge partially based on value I thought they did reserve the right for adjustments?

I have so many games I'd get graded, but their turn times are ridiculous. Going on 3 months now for my last submission... and they've had my money for those 3 months. With these long turns they really shouldn't charge until they ship them back.

Edited by kell

55 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Wata doesn't tell you what your games are worth. Why would you think that? While it's possible someone has a private collection they don't share, I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what has been graded for each game, anyone can go look at public sales or Facebook groups showing off Wata games.

Any games you have that they decide are over $2,000 they email you and tell you that you have to upgrade your service level and pay a percentage of what they believe the game is worth in order to have them grade it.

1 minute ago, Gulag Joe said:

Any games you have that they decide are over $2,000 they email you and tell you that you have to upgrade your service level and pay a percentage of what they believe the game is worth in order to have them grade it.

Yes, that makes sense. If they grade it a 9.4 and the last sale at auction sold for $10,000, that may put their total value of games they currently have over their maximum insurance coverage on the building. Do you want your game replaced if their building burns down? Then they need to temporarily increase their insurance coverage to cover your game while it's there, that costs money. Also, do you want it insured for the full value when being shipped back? That costs more money if it's valued higher.

5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Yes, that makes sense. If they grade it a 9.4 and the last sale at auction sold for $10,000, that may put their total value of games they currently have over their maximum insurance coverage on the building. Do you want your game replaced if their building burns down? Then they need to temporarily increase their insurance coverage to cover your game while it's there, that costs money. Also, do you want it insured for the full value when being shipped back? That costs more money if it's valued higher.

Everything you just typed is speculative. Price speculation has nothing to do with the services they provide as their service is ultimately an opinion, nothing more. I am the customer. If I say its worth this much, then that's what you ship it and insure it for.

Edited by Gulag Joe

34 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Everything you just typed is speculative. Price speculation has nothing to do with the services they provide as their service is ultimately an opinion, nothing more. I am the customer. If I say its worth this much, then that's what you ship it and insure it for.

You're actually.........not wrong. I think they may be required by law to insure for the value of the most recently sold though, regardless of what you think it's worth. I'm not totally sure on that.

37 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

You're actually.........not wrong. I think they may be required by law to insure for the value of the most recently sold though, regardless of what you think it's worth. I'm not totally sure on that.

Lol there is no law that says you HAVE to buy insurance in order to ship a video game to someone! Are you serious rn?!

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

Lol there is no law that says you HAVE to buy insurance in order to ship a video game to someone! Are you serious rn?!

Think about this scenario. They have $1,000,000 insurance on the building and all of the building interior value, plus games is $1,010,000. That means they're over their allowance for insurance coverage. If the building burns down, they're not going to spend 20 days going through whom insured what for how much and whom didn't, they're just going to cover all games, disperse the values and be done. You're asking them to run an inventory system, go through multiple spreadsheets and account for every game, with values and insurance coverage if the building burns down. Just because you don't want to pay the $40 insurance. No, they're not going to do that and no other business owner will do that for you neither.

You need to consider the extra costs associated with verifying what you want them to do. They can't just take your word for how much you insured your specific game without spending a lot of time keeping track of it all. They probably have a few hundred games on site.

3 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

This is fine until a 50k item you declared was worth 100$ gets lost in the mail or damaged at their facility and you sue them for market value that can be approximated and proven with recent sales. 

1 hour ago, Jayleonis said:

This is fine until a 50k item you declared was worth 100$ gets lost in the mail or damaged at their facility and you sue them for market value that can be approximated and proven with recent sales. 

Wow, more ridiculous speculation! How exactly would I win this make believe lawsuit you just accused me of bringing? If I put the order in through Wata, their platform requires me to declare my item's worth. I wouldn't be able to sue for more than that amount in the event of them destroying my games...

How about instead of accusing me of suing Wata for billions of dollars, we talk about why Wata doesn't provide market transparency and just tells me the value of my game is "X" and I just have to trust them on that?

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Think about this scenario. They have $1,000,000 insurance on the building and all of the building interior value, plus games is $1,010,000. That means they're over their allowance for insurance coverage. If the building burns down, they're not going to spend 20 days going through whom insured what for how much and whom didn't, they're just going to cover all games, disperse the values and be done. You're asking them to run an inventory system, go through multiple spreadsheets and account for every game, with values and insurance coverage if the building burns down. Just because you don't want to pay the $40 insurance. No, they're not going to do that and no other business owner will do that for you neither.

You need to consider the extra costs associated with verifying what you want them to do. They can't just take your word for how much you insured your specific game without spending a lot of time keeping track of it all. They probably have a few hundred games on site.

What on EARTH are you talking about? Wata burning down? Receipts? $40? LOL I can't even with this one!

39 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

How about instead of accusing me of suing Wata for billions of dollars, we talk about why Wata doesn't provide market transparency and just tells me the value of my game is "X" and I just have to trust them on that?

They're getting their information from the same publicly accessible sources you can. Whenever I want to know the value of a graded game, I just go onto ha.com and look up recent sales of the same grade. That's probably all they do as well, they're not making the values up.

35 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

What on EARTH are you talking about? Wata burning down? Receipts? $40? LOL I can't even with this one!

They're required to carry insurance on their building matching the value of items inside. In order to do this they need accurate values of said items. It's pretty simple.

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

They're getting their information from the same publicly accessible sources you can. Whenever I want to know the value of a graded game, I just go onto ha.com and look up recent sales of the same grade. That's probably all they do as well, they're not making the values up.

They're required to carry insurance on their building matching the value of items inside. In order to do this they need accurate values of said items. It's pretty simple.

Hop on Heritage and tell me how much a factory sealed Resident Evil Long Box is.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Some things need to be figured out from similar sales. I have prototypes, it doesn't mean I can't estimate a value for them.

The key word you said was "I". I'm sure YOU can tell Wata what your game is worth, but as I've said before, Wata ultimately tells you what your game is worth if they think it's over $2,000.

Administrator · Posted

When you send in your game, you declare a value. That should be the value they declare in case of need for insurance. That's on YOU, and rightly so. If you send in a game "worth" 20k and declare it as 2k,then it burns in a fire, you're getting 2k from insurance, and that's a YOU thing. 

It's bullshit that they'd try to tell anyone the value of a second hand market item. They should take your game, give it a grade per their service, and put it in some plastic. It's not a valuation service, and definitely SHOULDN'T BE. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Wow, more ridiculous speculation! How exactly would I win this make believe lawsuit you just accused me of bringing? If I put the order in through Wata, their platform requires me to declare my item's worth. I wouldn't be able to sue for more than that amount in the event of them destroying my games...

this is a very real potential situation from their stand point and probably why they require to place a higher value/insurance on games they dont want to be liable for