IGNORED

How far are you willing to go?

Tabonga

Mileage wise on your vehicle(s) that is.

I just took Julius (our Rav4) in for his 40K servicing - he is a couple months shy of 5 years (but we have been driving a lot less the last 3 months) so we probably  put on 8K a year.  We typicically run whatever vehicle we have (we only operate one) into the ground - although we keep them serviced.

Given Toyota's reputation there is no reason we won't likely get at least 200K out of Julius.   Which means 20 more years at least.  (Julius will very likely outlive me!)  He doesn't get any hard mileage which should help him reach old age.

No right or wrong answers here  - everyone's needs and perspectives on this are perforce going to be unique to them.

• Like 1

I put nearly 300K miles on my first car. A '97 Nissan Maxima called Maxine. She was bought used in 2001 with 15K miles on her already. It was rough the last few years, but I loved that car. Ran her into the ground at 287K miles on her in 2016. The trade in offer was $100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will drive a car until it's not viable.  Unfortunately every car I have owned had only been a couple thousand dollars at the most so it's never terribly long.  The transmission or a head gasket goes and it quickly becomes cheaper to car shop then look into repairs.

We now have a 2016 Honda Fit with about 60k miles.  The hope is to baby this car.  We need to check the manual for what maintenance is due and take it into a dealer.  It's hard to be motivated when you drive it 2 miles a week.

I financed my 2500HD Pickup just 20 months ago and I've already put about 64,000 miles on it. I drive about 3000-3500 miles a month.

I expect at least 250,000 miles out of it, but I would like to push it to 300,000 before considering replacing it.

Edited by ThePhleo

I’ll drive my car until it’s not worth the money to repair it any more.  I’m currently driving a 2011 Dodge Caliber with about 65k miles on it.  I’ve had it since it was new and it’s been pretty good to me.  The plan is once it kicks it I will take the wife’s 2014? Fusion and she’ll get something new.

I'm not a car guy so I just buy whatever I can run into the ground that has the best value. Been driving a 2013 Elantra for the last 7 years and have 250k km (155K miles) on it with no major issues yet. A couple brake jobs, spark plugs replaced once, one caliper replaced and regular oil changes are all I've done and have been able to do all those repairs myself. Parts are cheap and common for these mass produced cars which also helps. I'll drive it until the transmission or engine goes and then move on to something similar and repeat. Everything is currently working great on it and it's been nice not having car payments for a while now. *knocks on wood*

I'm good at running one into the ground where the damage (part failure(s)) out weighs the value of repair.  That could be 100k or 500k.+  We've got an 06 or 07 Edge and it's like at 230k and runs just fine though the timing belt is starting to go but it's been squeaking a while now and not worsened.  Then my car it's like 70k I think and it's a Civic so that'll have a lot more to go barring something funky happening.

7 hours ago, Tekdrudge said:

LOL. That is what I got after my Nissan Maxima died. I love my 2016 Honda Fit. Wanted a hatchback for years.

powerfit.jpg

I love how no one has mentioned the Power Glove in a photo completely unrelated to video games!

You just strap that thing on every morning... or never take it off?! 😄

• Haha 1

I'm a fan of driving a car until it's dead.  I bought a 2013 Nissan Altima after it was leased for a year and love this car.  Regular maintenance of course and I just hit 100,000k miles before COVID.  I'm hoping to get another 5 years out of this car, then I'm hoping my wife lets us move to Alaska so I can just buy a snowmobile.

Graphics Team · Posted

I've got a 2007 honda civic that just passed 300k kilometers (190k in miles) still works fine but theres a lot of rust on the underside. Wife just started driving so the plan is to get her a new car while I drive this shitter to the ground. And then we'll probably go back to having just one car, depending on how long the 07 lasts

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

I ran my last truck, a Nissan Titan up to 208,000 miles and gave it to my dad. I bet it has another 100K in it as the engine is in great shape. Just bought a new 2020 Dodge Ram Bighorn and fully expect to put 200K on this one too. Feels nice to finally be able to stream music and charge my phone at the same time!

949868AD-1E7B-4DC7-88F3-2D2A5700DB81.jpeg