Sign in to follow this  
KokiriChild

VGS Chess Club

It's been a while since I've played but I'm up for a game every now and then. Last time I played was on chess.com like 5 years ago

I used to play a bunch years ago. I got really into it for a bit but at this point I’ve pretty much forgotten all my openings and defenses and stuff.  Really rusty but I’ve started playing again a bit.  I use chess with friends.

I'm not the greatest at it, but I certainly love me a game of chess. I'd be interested 🙂

I haven't played much in the last few years. I was better at speed chess than regular games. I played a lot of 1 minute games back in the day on Yahoo and was ranked fairly high, but I was 50/50 when it came to standard chess.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 minutes ago, Estil said:

Does PS3 or PS4 offer anything in the chess department?

PS4 has a number of chess programs, like Pure Chess and Chess Ultra. Chess Ultra even has a VR component.

I used to play scholastic and adult tourneys in high school. Was way more into chess theory than actually playing, though.

I have an account with Chess.com and it is free. There is a paid version which includes a bunch of extras but it depends how much you really want to analyze your game. I get into spurts of playing chess randomly throughout the year. I prefer speed chess. If anyone would like to play I wouldn't mind a match here or there.

Im definitely a fan. Its hard to even say ur good at this game considering the skill gap ha. So im pretty bad but i do love me some chess. Not sure if hes on vgs, but a old na user than went by firebrand, i think, was a grandmaster. I thought he was joking till i looked him and was shocked lol

2 hours ago, KokiriChild said:

I can make a topic in the tabletop club if people want. Also, Chess.com is free and tries its best to give you an estimated FIDE rating, which is pretty neat.

I beat the computer in a game, but I didn't do that great. For whatever reason, I seem to be a lot better at speed chess.

Speed chess is absolutely my downfall.  I can usually hold my own in regular chess but speed chess just sucks every bit of ability out of me.  Usually won’t play faster than 5min a side because beyond that I might as well be making random moves.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Speed chess is absolutely my downfall.  I can usually hold my own in regular chess but speed chess just sucks every bit of ability out of me.  Usually won’t play faster than 5min a side because beyond that I might as well be making random moves.

I guess I'm the opposite. I do better making split second moves than I do when I have time to think about it. 

One of the earliest things I learned when learning professional chess was "never trade". The person who initiates a trade is nearly ALWAYS giving away advantage. Simply NEVER initiate a trade and you'll almost instantly find your game improving.