IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - QBert

BeaIank

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I was gonna say I just Google them if I don't know the game ahead of time. I'm not sitting on a full set of NES manuals.

Most of the stuff im talking about isn't found in manuals. Things like "staying higher on the screen is generally safer" or "avoid x portion of the screen where enemies spawn quickly/unexpectedly," etc.

I can figure out which button makes the character jump without reading the manual. Some manuals have more helpful stuff, but manuals weren't intended to be strategy guides. 

Edited by NESfiend

Just now, NESfiend said:

Most of the stuff im talking about isn't found in manuals. Things like "staying higher on the screen is generally safer" or "avoid x portion of the screen where enemies spawn quickly/unexpectedly," etc.

I can figure out which button makes the character jump without reading the manual. Some manuals have .ore helpful stuff, but manuals weren't intended to be strategy guides. 

You get good by practicing, not watching other people play. When I was a kid the internet didn't even exist, so you had to learn without walkthroughs and let's play videos.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 6/30/2020 at 10:21 PM, guillavoie said:

No kids at home? Q*Bert time man, Q*Bert!

Also, that riding mower pic is all blurred, I can't even appreciate the quality of your lawn on it!!!

Here you go.  Now you can see with perfect clarity all the shit I didn't do (yet), the excess grass I didn't rake, the weeds everywhere, pruned branches, etc 

And also why I'll be doing this shit all weekend instead of plugging in QBert 😭

IMG_20200702_122628.jpg

Nevermind, that shit's still pretty blurry 😅

• Haha 1

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Here you go.  Now you can see with perfect clarity all the shit I didn't do (yet), the excess grass I didn't take, the weeds everywhere, pruned branches, etc 

And also why I'll be doing this shit all weekend instead of plugging in QBert 😭

IMG_20200702_122628.jpg

Didn't your new mansion come with a groundskeeper for that stuff? 😂

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You get good by practicing, not watching other people play. When I was a kid the internet didn't even exist, so you had to learn without walkthroughs and let's play videos.

Well no shit, Sherlock. I learned plenty of games the traditional route. With an adult life and like 500 titles I'd like to learn, and endless possibilities for guides with the web, it would be nice to find some shortcuts for games I haven't played. 

Just now, NESfiend said:

Well no shit, Sherlock. I learned plenty of games the traditional route. With an adult life and like 500 titles I'd like to learn, and endless possibilities for guides with the web, it would be nice to find some shortcuts for games I haven't played. 

Did you try GameFAQs? They have guides for everything.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you try GameFAQs? They have guides for everything.

I have learned a lot of harder games I couldn't get anywhere on as a kid via Gamefaqs guides. NES Star Wars always comes to mind there. Some of them are extremely well done. It's 2020 though. There should be more enjoyable ways to learn gaming strategy than monstrous PDFs converted from old word docs 

Just now, NESfiend said:

I have learned a lot of harder games I couldn't get anywhere on as a kid via Gamefaqs guides. NES Star Wars always comes to mind there. Some of them are extremely well done. It's 2020 though. There should be more enjoyable ways to learn gaming strategy than monstrous PDFs converted from old word docs 

I really don't look at them for strategy to be honest. I just try to get the basics and the controls, then go from there.

15 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I had a lucky run, made it to 4-1 and got barely over 60k. Score updated on page 3. I'll if I can still improve and maybe get more than just a participation score.

I figured I'd give up after 50k. I don't know what the participation cutoff will be, but I don't think I'm going to get there.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I figured I'd give up after 50k. I don't know what the participation cutoff will be, but I don't think I'm going to get there.

I don't get how everybody is so good at this game. It's brutal.

Same with Paperboy and RC Pro-Am.

Edited by mbd39

Administrator · Posted
Just now, mbd39 said:

I don't get how everybody is so good at this game. It's brutal.

Same with Paperboy and RC Pro-Am.

Memorization for me; the enemies will always behave exactly the same way every time you load into a level, so you can memorize a safe route through each level. This starts to fall apart for me personally when you have to go over each tile twice, at that point is when I start to wing it.

Just now, Gloves said:

Memorization for me; the enemies will always behave exactly the same way every time you load into a level, so you can memorize a safe route through each level. This starts to fall apart for me personally when you have to go over each tile twice, at that point is when I start to wing it.

If you mean 3-1, that's where things go sideways for me.

28 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's only Thursday, so I'm sure that there's still time to improve the scores. I barely get through the levels past 3-1 as well though, which is why I called this a lucky run.

Just now, Gaia Gensouki said:

It's only Thursday, so I'm sure that there's still time to improve the scores. I barely get through the levels past 3-1 as well though, which is why I called this a lucky run.

I went from 49k to 50k, so I think I've done as well as I'm going to. I barely hit 10k back in 2013, so I'm making progress!

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

There were magazines such as Nintendo Power that often contained maps and strategy guides,  and kids sharing tips. That was the equivalent of the internet back then.