IGNORED

I just can’t get with the outrage culture of modern gaming

Strange

Maybe I’m just getting too old to care, but wow I’m tired of the outrage culture in modern gaming. Damn near every announcement is met with hordes of pissed off commenters, and it’s been especially bad in recent years.

Pokémon Unite was announced today, the reaction is “Well why the hell isnt it DPP remakes?” Then there was the whole outrage over Sword and Shield. People are mad about The Last of Us II right now. People are mad at Epic Games Store, Fortnite, Kingdom Hearts 3, Smash Bros DLC fighters, Fallout, Battlefield, Wolfenstein, Final Fantasy XV, etc. etc. etc.

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. There’s plenty more. I’m not the type of person who can’t acknowledge fault when a company screws up. I’m pretty fed up with Konami and others too. But I guess I don’t have the energy or desire to go online and rage all day about it? If something isn’t for me, I’d rather just shrug it off and play something that is. I guess I’d rather use that passion and energy for something else?

Seems like modern gamers enjoy complaining about video games more than actually playing video games.

• Like 5

It isn’t just outrage culture with purely modern video games, but I believe it’s outrage culture relating to the combo of human beings and social media. 

There are individuals among us who find it thrilling to nitpick on basically anything on a regular/daily basis. Social media just gives them a platform to “enhance” this personality trait. 

• Like 7

yeah I just ignore it. Which is somewhat easier as I'm not on social media at all. But yeah, when I saw Pokemone United my first thoughts were, (A) oh awesome, a Pokemon MOBA made by the people who made Arena Of Valor, so I know it'll be competent; I'm looking forward to giving this a try, and (B) a lot of people are going to be really angry and vocal about this.

• Like 1

What @GPX said.  This is a bigger problem trickling into gaming and every other niche.  Rage-culture is a thing. It's pervasive and it's everywhere.  We can no longer say "meh" to products that underwhelm, and we get enraged at people we disagree with.  "Agree to disagree" is no longer an adage people live by.

I'm sure the reasons why we've become this way (as a global society, it seems) are diverse and not simple but that's how most people are.  I'll admit that every now and then I have to vent, but I briefly got on Facebook about 2 years ago for the first time, and quickly deleted my account because all of the rage was nonsense and pointless to me.  My wife has used social media for as long as there has been social media (before Myspace and Facebook, everyone was following everyone else's Blogspots!) and even she's had enough.  Just last week she shut down her Facebook and Instagram accounts.

I can rage with the best of them, on occasion when I see a beloved game series get absolutely trashed, but those moments for me are far and few between.  However, the run-ins I've had with old college friends online, seeing their profiles and what not, it just appears that the majority of people out there are only interested in raging on their soap boxes.  No thank you.  Not interested.  If we can have a cordial debate, that's fine.  I'm not arguing with you and potentially ending friendships because we disagree on things.  There's no room for debate anymore, and I just avoid it.  No one want's, or desires, to have room for growth.

And I get that this sounds like I'm raging about rage culture.  Ha ha... well as my Dad use to say, "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed."  Well, yes.  I'm disappointed in our modern society and our loss at being able to have disagreements without it spiraling into tearing the world apart.  Brothers, it ought not be this way.

Edited by RH
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, GPX said:

It isn’t just outrage culture with purely modern video games, but I believe it’s outrage culture relating to the combo of human beings and social media. 

There are individuals among us who find it thrilling to nitpick on basically anything on a regular/daily basis. Social media just gives them a platform to “enhance” this personality trait. 

Yeah, those people were already around, they just didn't have the ability to shout across the Internet in one big angry voice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RH said:

What @GPX said.  This is a bigger problem trickling into gaming and every other niche.  Rage-culture is a thing. It's pervasive and it's everywhere.  We can no longer say "meh" to products that underwhelm, and we get enraged at people we disagree with.  "Agree to disagree" is no longer an adage people live by.

I'm sure the reasons why we've become this way (as a global society, it seems) but that's how most people are.  I'll admit that every now and then I have to vent, but I briefly got of Facebook about 2 years ago for the first time, and quickly deleted my account because all of the rage was nonsense and pointless to me.  My wife has used social media for as long as thier has been social media (before Myspace and Facebook, everyone was following everyone else's Blogspots!) and even she's had enough.  Just last week she shut down her Facebook and Instagram accounts.

I can rage with the best of them, on occasion when I see a beloved game series get absolutely trashed, but those moments for me are far and few between.  However, the run-ins I've had with old college friends online, seeing their profiles and what not, it just appears that the majority of people out there are only interested in raging on their soap boxes.  No thank you.  Not interested.  If can have a cordial debate, that's fine.  I'm not arguing with you and potentially ending friendships because we disagree on things.  There's no room for debate anymore, and I just avoid it.  No one want's, or desires, to have room for growth.

And I get that this sounds like I'm raging about rage culture.  Ha ha... well as my Dad use to say, "I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed."  Well, yes.  I'm disappointed in our modern society and are loss of being able to have disagreements without it spiraling into tearing the world apart.  Brothers, it ought not be this way.

I think the problem lies in our “freedom of speech” mantra for online forums. If done right and with sensible Mods, it can promote growth in discussions and a more balanced reality check. 

Unfortunately, some people take “free speech” to mean “say whatever the hell you want to say, even if it means that you’re hurting others perpetually and throw dirt at anyone whenever you’re in the mood to throw dirt”. 

It must be said though, it’s absolutely ok to have a rant or be enraged in circumstances. What I was talking about moreso is the culture of perpetual hate and negativity in social media. The key feature being relentless hate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GPX said:

I think the problem lies in our “freedom of speech” mantra for online forums. If done right and with sensible Mods, it can promote growth in discussions and a more balanced reality check. 

Unfortunately, some people take “free speech” to mean “say whatever the hell you want to say, even if it means that you’re hurting others perpetually and throw dirt at anyone whenever you’re in the mood to throw dirt”. 

It must be said though, it’s absolutely ok to have a rant or be enraged in circumstances. What I was talking about moreso is the culture of perpetual hate and negativity in social media. The key feature being relentless hate.

Again, this.  I don't necessarily blame "social media" for our problems.  I am no fan of any of these companies for various reasons, but I don't blame them on "rage culture".  However, at some point people started feeling like these platforms gave them a place to be heard.  At one point when discussions of thoughts and beliefs could be challenged by peers, family or friends, it was replaced with thumbs-up and thumbs-down culture.  Pair that with we tend to respond more with people we agree with (creating echoing chambers) than we directly respond and speak to people we disagree with, we've not kept our emotions in check. 

When I can sit down with a friend and debate politics, race relations, the economy, etc. and we both walk away understanding the other person might be "wrong" but we can also see their point of view, we learn to get along and work through our issues.  Sometimes we stand our ground, or we strongly argue our points of view and, hopefully through civil discourse, we actually learn and grow.  I'd like for those days to return but, again, the echoing chambers of social media validate peoples beliefs while never challenging to think outside of their own heads or personal lives, and debate is lost and it replaced by rage.

Regarding games, it's just a symptom of that bigger problem.  I'm sure there are many people that feel that many games they have played were simply mediocre, but if they were disappointed they are much more likely to take to social media and voice their "anger" over something as simple as even a free mobile game.

17 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Pokémon Unite was announced today, the reaction is “Well why the hell isnt it DPP remakes?”

I read this an DDP and thought people wanted a Diamond Dallas Page x Pokemon crossover.

I don't think this is anything new.  Now it is just easy for people to share their opinions online.  I recall plenty of conversations among friend complaining about games growing up.  We just didn't jump online to share it.  Now it takes 10 seconds to reply to a tweet or dislike a video. 

Here are my tips for avoiding the outrage. 1) Don't go on Reddit and other similar sites 2) Never read the comment section of Youtube 3) Never scroll under a tweet to see what people are replying 4)  Mute or unfollow people feeding it. 

I have plenty of people sharing COVID, BLM, and other social issues on social media.  The constant flood of news can be tiring.  I have no interest in adding peoples complaints about hobbies.  There are more pressing things to worry about in life than waiting an extra year for the next title in your favorite series.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 1

People have always been like that, as a whole they like to bitch and complain, and even more so if they know that they can get lots of attention doing it, and with social media, being able to have the whole world see and listen, all the better. Best thing to do, either don't get in too deep with it, or don't take it too heart. Problem is, like any negative actions, it is like a virus or cancer and somehow will latch on and spread its misery. Sometimes we really don't mean much harm in sharing our negative opinions on something, but in the case of most things in social media, anything negative posted be it typed words, pictures or video, it's all about the hits, the numbers, how many viewers and likes one can get, attention... heck the news has been like that since forever, anything bad or violent and that will be most of what you see shown.

• Like 2

Haters gon' hate. It's the cool thing to do right now. Complain about everything. Especially the games you're given, and whine about not getting a different game instead, which you'll probably whine about anyways when it is announced and released. Wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh. SOMEONE CALL THE WAMBULANCE!!!!!

The outrage culture has been going on since we've had cultures.  But you know what's different this time?  We have all kinds of alternative ways of getting whatever we want.  We don't have to be at the mercy of whatever our local area "feels like" having in the local newspaper/radio/TV/etc like we did in the pre-Internet dark ages 😛  The important thing is that we don't have to just sit here and "take it".

6 hours ago, RH said:

On the contrary I think with such easy instant access to all different kinds of POV, some of which you may have never known existed or perhaps you'd rather have not found out they existed, you kinda have no choice but to "agree to disagree" for the most part.

A lot of fanatics bitched about Star Wars (when have they not, though that in itself is fine if you can be civilized about it), but the massive nutzoid outrages over The Last Jedi I remember reading about and watching videos on shortly after that came out, and went so far as to make youtube videos and other stuff with their hate on the director, trying to run the producer out, wanting others to help in banning Disney or forcing them to remake the shit movie they got, threatening the actors because they didn't like the character(s), silly crazy stuff. Yes it was disappointing and heavily flawed, but damn, it is just a movie people, like or don't, move on, not the end of the world.

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie, Sonic looked really terrible, fans voiced their disapproval, the people making it listened and changed him to look more like how he is supposed to. I dunno, maybe they handled it better than Disney did. But then the issue was not that big, just changed Sonic to the way he is supposed to look. Not sure how well the movie was received, but I enjoyed it a lot, certainly a surprise as I was thinking it would be stupid regardless what the hedgehog looked like.

Sometimes things are going to disappoint, but unless you yourself are involved in, don't expect the movie, game, book, whatever to be catered to you, because while you might hate it or in the case of some out there, vehemently try to ruin another's career or life over it, someone else out there will not mind it or actually like it. Fucking grow up... actually that seems to be the problem most of the time, those ragers I see all too often are grown adults.

It is okay to voice opinion, or share your dislike about something, but there are better ways to handle it than whine like a baby and throw tantrums over it, but you just might not get as many views, but then, that is what it is all about, putting on a show.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's not so much turned off as not interested. I'd rather just sit down and play a simple game. I'm not really into the interactive cinematic experience thing. 

But like, there are plenty of simple, new games. Are you against trying those?