IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Contra Force

BeaIank

I haven't played Yoshi, but I quite enjoyed Yoshi's Cookie. There is a lot more depth there than people seem to give it credit for. Reed's main gripe was that he found it "a needlessly frustrating hassle" to clear the last couple cookies. But if you plan far enough ahead you can clear all the cookies without being stuck with one of any type (I didn't play enough to be this consistently good, but the speedrun WR definitely is). Even if you screw it up, there's a way to build back up so that it doesn't take forever to clear the singleton cookies. I also had a lot of fun breaking apart the score system for the contest.

11 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I haven't played Yoshi, but I quite enjoyed Yoshi's Cookie. There is a lot more depth there than people seem to give it credit for. Reed's main gripe was that he found it "a needlessly frustrating hassle" to clear the last couple cookies. But if you plan far enough ahead you can clear all the cookies without being stuck with one of any type (I didn't play enough to be this consistently good, but the speedrun WR definitely is). Even if you screw it up, there's a way to build back up so that it doesn't take forever to clear the singleton cookies. I also had a lot of fun breaking apart the score system for the contest.

I didn't even get a participation score that week. I literally played one game. I don't like Yoshi, but somehow Yoshi's Cookie is even worse. I'd rather play through the stairway section of Ghostbusters than any Yoshi puzzle games.

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I seem to be better at the Game Boy version, but I prefer the NES game.

I played the Game Boy version for a contest and I was worse at it. It seemed to give me worse pieces and got faster earlier on. Also may have been because I was playing on an emulator.

15 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I played the Game Boy version for a contest and I was worse at it. It seemed to give me worse pieces and got faster earlier on. Also may have been because I was playing on an emulator.

I can't stand playing anything on an emulator. The timing seems off on everything.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got my participation score in, but I probably would have tried to finish it again if I had the time.

ya i got today and tomorrow then the weekend so hopefully i can put a respectable score up sometime between now and then 🤣

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

ya i got today and tomorrow then the weekend so hopefully i can put a respectable score up sometime between now and then 🤣

I think I got lucky making it halfway through the second stage on one attempt. It's tough not to get a stupid death simply because the edge of the screen doesn't scroll when it's supposed to. The overhead stages are really bad about that.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think I got lucky making it halfway through the second stage on one attempt. It's tough not to get a stupid death simply because the edge of the screen doesn't scroll when it's supposed to. The overhead stages are really bad about that.

ya, i watched a vid of a complete run, looks like it might be a little rough, but maybe i can get used to it

36 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The randomizer for the Game Boy version has a bug in it. Here's the actual relative frequencies for the pieces.

L: 10.7%
J, I, Z: 13.7%
O, S, T: 16.1%

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Just a heads up, if anyone beats the game, you only have a few seconds after defeating the final boss to take a picture and get your score since it doesn't give it to you during the ending and it goes back to 0 when you start a new game. @guillavoie @BeaIank

Thanks a bunch for the heads up Doug, I will add something in the rules about it.

49 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I still got a competent score of 293,727. I'd never seriously played GB Tetris before that week.

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/2476-game-boy-weekly-contest-round-10-tetris/

Ah, yes. The week I forgot to post! It may also be the only week I participated in the GB weekly contest... or tried to. 

Edited by ninjistar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeganJoanne said:

A token effort while I was not doing anything else. But then the emulator froze up so I quit. Pretty sad that my laptop sometimes can't even handle a friggin' NES emulator. Maybe it was just the game.

654860302_2020-6-22ContraForce-score3560oneliferuleBurns.thumb.JPG.2e5c6bb566d07dad2506097aa2572049.JPG

This is about as long as one should be allowed to play this game anyway! It did you a favor 😉 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Thanks a bunch for the heads up Doug, I will add something in the rules about it.

No problem. Since the game doesn't let you pause during the boss fights, I wanted to double check. You get around 7-8 seconds after you beat the last boss and get the 10k point bonus to hurry and get a picture, but the biggest issue was that the score goes back to 0 if you start a new game after the credits. It's basically the same situation as the end of TMNT 3 after you beat Super Shredder.

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I still got a competent score of 293,727. I'd never seriously played GB Tetris before that week.

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/2476-game-boy-weekly-contest-round-10-tetris/

I think I've actually hit 400k before on the Game Boy version, but I haven't played it in a while. Tetris is about the only puzzle game that I like enough to play so much that I'm decent at it.