IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Contra Force

BeaIank

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Except I can find good things to say about Doki Doki Panic. 😛

Contra Force has some good ideas, and I don't fault a series from shaking up the old formula here and there, but the technical execution of this particular game is severely lacking.

It probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but I'd rather play Contra Force over SMB 2.

50 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but I'd rather play Contra Force over SMB 2.

This will make you sick then. I got this nintendo power mag from 1990 that rated tons of games in 4 categories. Never been a magazine collector, but its been fun paging through it and seeing how they rated games. It's almost 40 pages and the highest ranked game is a tie between mega man 2 and smb2. Shockingly, there is a warning that newer/more high tech games are generally rated higher than older ones. Then why the heck is smb2 rated higher than smb3?

20200621_212533.jpg

20200621_212548.jpg

20200621_212655.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This will make you sick then. I got this nintendo power mag from 1990 that rated tons of games in 4 categories. Never been a magazine collector, but its been fun paging through it and seeing how they rated games. It's almost 40 pages and the highest ranked game is a tie between mega man 2 and smb2. Shockingly, there is a warning that newer/more high tech games are generally rated higher than older ones. Then why the heck is smb2 rated higher than smb3?

20200621_212655.jpg

Ninja Gaiden has the exact same scores as SMB 3. That's obviously wrong. Ninja Gaiden is way better.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Ninja Gaiden has the exact same scores as SMB 3. That's obviously wrong. Ninja Gaiden is way better.

Nintendo power was owned by Nintendo. Games published by Nintendo were generally rated pretty well by Nintendos magazine. Cant say they did a terrible job in that respect and that example is debatable. But with that caveat in mind, ninja gaiden got a great rating 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Nintendo power was owned by Nintendo. Games published by Nintendo were generally rated pretty well by Nintendos magazine. Cant say they did a terrible job in that respect and that example is debatable. But with that caveat in mind, ninja gaiden got a great rating 

I'm guessing Nintendo would give their own games higher ratings, but I am surprised that SMB 2 is higher than SMB 3. That just doesn't make sense.

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Metroid outscored SMB 2, SMB 3 and Mega Man 2. I don't really disagree, but I'm surprised it outscored both Mario games.

6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm guessing Nintendo would give their own games higher ratings, but I am surprised that SMB 2 is higher than SMB 3. That just doesn't make sense.

Thats why its surprising. Smb3 was their baby. They paid to make a movie to pump up its release. 

Their ratings are pretty harsh on some of their black box stuff. I think that is why they included the warning that older releases would have received higher ratings when they came out, but may not compare well against newer releases. 

Edited by NESfiend

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Thats why its surprising. Smb3 was their baby. They paid to make a movie to pump up its release. 

Their ratings are pretty harsh on some of their black box stuff. I think that is why they included the warning that older releases would have received higher ratings when they came out, but may not compare well against newer releases. 

I wonder if there is a copy of that online somewhere. I'd be interested to see how many of their ratings that I would agree with. I'm guessing not many.

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wonder if there is a copy of that online somewhere. I'd be interested to see how many of their ratings that I would agree with. I'm guessing not many.

Overall the ratings aren't too bad. The smb2 vs smb3 thing sure jumps off the page though. There are a million of these in great shape on ebay. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a while. Cool shelf piece after you read it too. I want to know if they did them for other years because I'd buy a few more

Just now, NESfiend said:

Overall the ratings aren't too bad. The smb2 vs smb3 thing sure jumps off the page though. There are a million of these in great shape on ebay. Best 10 bucks I've spent in a while. Cool shelf piece after you read it too. I want to know if they did them for other years because I'd buy a few more

I know there's a Nintendo Power Top 20 list for each of the consoles at the time and a Top 200 list that covered games for all Nintendo consoles that you can find online. 

Events Team · Posted
50 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Because you can play as Peach.
Next question.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

16 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Because you can play as Peach and there are ninjis!
Next question.

Fixed that for you, @BeaIank

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I know there's a Nintendo Power Top 20 list for each of the consoles at the time and a Top 200 list that covered games for all Nintendo consoles that you can find online. 

I've seen those and reference them occasionally. But that stuff was done once production was done and a lot more info about games' popularity was available. Easier to make safe bets with ratings. Id like to see more stuff like this that came out while the games were fresh to the market. Id love a 1995 version of this, but don't think its out there. 

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I've seen those and reference them occasionally. But that stuff was done once production was done and a lot more info about games' popularity was available. Easier to make safe bets with ratings. Id like to see more stuff like this that came out while the games were fresh to the market. Id love a 1995 version of this, but don't think its out there. 

Here's the final list Nintendo Power put together. https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-power-ranks-the-top-285-nintendo-games-of-all-time/

Just a heads up, if anyone beats the game, you only have a few seconds after defeating the final boss to take a picture and get your score since it doesn't give it to you during the ending and it goes back to 0 when you start a new game. @guillavoie @BeaIank

Edited by Bearcat-Doug