IGNORED

Overpricing Wave

Edgarmcfly

Hello guys,  You have realized that from January to here all the games have been overvalued a lot .. that is to say games that did not exceed the certain prices all his life, have been overvalued .. it is something that perhaps some like and some others worry ...

Games like pokemon In all their existence they never went over 50 or 60 dollars, now they are at double of price

1.thumb.JPG.847dabcb1dc13937d8d46a6c4c92d25e.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.d89f8794cab2638d44aa10447dfd8eba.JPG

Or games like ANOES

3.thumb.JPG.2d49a97f9ba978e807dca31e975ccc08.JPG

Games highly overpriced are the silent hills !

4.thumb.JPG.d32411b61befff4fb654892836876480.JPG

So, what is happening here?? Why !? is the quarantine ??? 

Other examples, All they all have very marked tendencies

5.thumb.JPG.e9c18e72fe595fe950231a057202f6aa.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.e5d4ff2c9c678ed15507939643d2e8e9.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.dc50ec618fe169ce868e7733292c03b7.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.6ef66601371cab19a5d36c2b681aeab0.JPG

Have to figure that prices had been inching up for a while, and the quarantine did influence higher prices - lots of bored folks at home needing activities to pass time. And since nostalgia helps level off the anxiety we've all been going through, prices jumped as more decided to go the classic games route to fill that need.

The Collector's Quest podcast had a recent episode where they discussed this very phenomenon.

Pokemon, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Silent Hill - all well-known franchises that a bump makes sense. Wii Sports is a great example too, as well as typical fare like Mario games (though not as drastic of a change).

Nightmare on Elm Street and Skyblazer are the exceptions, as they were well on their way up before things hit.

Edited by Oobgarm

It's ultimately the pandemic at least from this point, and what circles around that: Bored stuck at home, free money from the stimulus, perhaps more free money if you took the +$600 a check over usual rate unemployment benefits, and then there was tax season also in April too that got extended a few months out.  There's money coming in from 2-3 sources people didn't have, and not at once but dragged out, and combined with perhaps being fired, laid off, or in transition over this garbage and people are more likely to click buy whatever online since they can't get out.

Those line graphs are fascinating to a point, but perhaps erase the last few years off it, put it at 3-5 years only, and you'll then have it wide enough to see quarters or months and you'll see when the spike starts in 2020.  The question in the end is sustainability once the money dries up.

• Like 1

Works for me.  Saw the giant PS1 spike, which was long overdue (recently sold my brigandine for 200+ when it’s sat at just over 100 for years), and I’ve taken the opportunity to convert those profits into more NES CIB games (which took a less sharp upturn) and extra PayPal padding.  I don’t think you’re going to hear a lot of complaints from old NA folks, who pretty much all started out with NES to some extent or other and have sort of branched off into what interests them over the years.  Even if you don’t intend on selling a single game it sure feels nice to see those games’ worth spike.  Most will probably come back down to earth.  It certainly seems to be unnatural but who knows.  Especially to a lot of people that have spent a lot of time and effort collecting obscurities on various systems, I don’t know that they‘d use the term overvalued.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Damn I remember not wanting to pay over $80 for Chrono loose when I was looking at it. I’m sure some members on here can remember getting it for $10-$20 or maybe even less. 

I got my CIB Chrono for $100

See guys this is ridiculous 

669567823_mariostrikers.thumb.JPG.a6db1fbce46f2629789fd21976858ed6.JPG

paper.thumb.JPG.6f3e5f3114b043977e723354c5d79cd5.JPG

• Wow! 1

It's a crazy time in the world, but even then, there are plenty of games that cost less than they did 40 years ago, even after inflation. You can get lots of Marios, Zeldas, and Street Fighters at reasonable prices even CIB, even after all the crazy things that have happened recently. There's chaos, but stuff like $100 Animal Crossing and $200 TTYD is trendy chaos that isn't going to last forever. I'm certainly out of the oven and focusing on games and platforms that aren't on fire instead of FOMO chasing games that are double what they cost yesterday.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

It's a crazy time in the world, but even then, there are plenty of games that cost less than they did 40 years ago, even after inflation. You can get lots of Marios, Zeldas, and Street Fighters at reasonable prices even CIB, even after all the crazy things that have happened recently. There's chaos, but stuff like $100 Animal Crossing and $200 TTYD is trendy chaos that isn't going to last forever. I'm certainly out of the oven and focusing on games and platforms that aren't on fire instead of FOMO chasing games that are double what they cost yesterday.

Excellent post, Like

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Its gonna take a while for prices to come down I think, after these casual yo-yo's blew up the market.

So, do you think is a good moment to sell some games?

I thinking in sell some Pokemon CIB Games, But at the same time I don't want to, because I don't want to take advantage

Edited by Edgarmcfly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Edgarmcfly said:

I thinking in sell some Pokemon CIB Games, But at the same time I don't want to, because I don't want to take advantage

No one is forcing them to buy the game. You could always put it up for auction starting at a dollar and let the bidders decide the value. 

I for one, do not like what is happening. I have pretty much most of the games I want already, so I'm not negatively affected by this trend. In fact, total value for what I have has shot up over 30% in the last 2 months alone. It's absolutely absurd, and I do not believe is sustainable. I will be closely following how the market behaves in the next months up until Christmas, which will be very telling to what trend it's heading towards (i.e. if everything will tank again). 

Right now is definitely a seller market, with the consumer being the general public and not the collector community. If you ever wanted to dump anything off, now is the best time to do it. Sadly though, I won't be taking advantage of any of it because I want everything I have.

The silver lining to all this is though, if you chose to look at it this way, is that the PS1 is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Most of the attention has been set on Nintendo for more or less the entirety of the game collecting hobby. I do believe the original PlayStation is an historic platform, and deserves to be right up there with the original NES. So in a sense, it WAS undervalued, and I believe it remains undervalued, and still has a lot of room to catch up with Nintendo.

Maybe in 10 or 20 years, people's perceptions will change and both platforms will be viewed in the same light. Or maybe all physical games will be worthless and obsolete, and only the true fans will continue collecting them as relics in a new age of digital media. Who knows, but it's interesting to think about.

Edited by Amermoe
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

The thing that sucks for me is that I've only JUST started picking up the PS1 games that I never played growing up, and yeah - they're all goddamn expensive now. I DID pick some up prior to this and damn am I glad I did, I've made a sizable profit if I were to turn around and resell them. BUT I have no plans whatsoever to do any reselling, so now I'm just kinda half-lucky. I got some "great deals" by today's standards, but I also have some expensive purchases ahead of me.

I'm expediting my buying PS1/2 games so I can pick up the more obscure titles that I want but aren't quite in the realm of "popular" or "known rare" before they get too too crazy.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

I was hoping to chip away at my PS1 wishlist while focusing on expensive Sega CD and Saturn games before their prices went even higher, but I guess I waited too long on the PS1 stuff. It is what it is though, I couldn’t have afforded to just swarm eBay and grab all the cheaper items before it was too late. I’ll just keep chugging along patiently and hope it doesn’t get too too bad.

9 hours ago, Edgarmcfly said:

Why did you buy it in the first place?  To sell or to collect?  

I personally have not sold anything i wanted to own.  With that said, I don't see these prices lasting, but could take a while to come down.

55 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Why did you buy it in the first place?  To sell or to collect?  

I personally have not sold anything i wanted to own.  With that said, I don't see these prices lasting, but could take a while to come down.

Some games I really like that I always plan to have a copy of in my collection that have at times doubled, tripled or quadrupled in value I have no issue selling and repurchasing at a later date if I am sure it's a short lived price increase. Do I risk having to buy it back at a high price if the increase stays long term? Sure I do, but I've always made out pretty well on these titles I would otherwise let sit on my shelf in the "short term" that these blips on the radar of price spikes come and go 🙂 And there is also the odd time where I say to myself "is game X really worth holding onto when I can reap a reward of 5 times the price I paid for it?" There are some games I don't care how much or how little they are worth cause they are important to me. Other games, I have no issue letting go of when such a monetary incentive presents it's self.