IGNORED

GameValueNow Main Thread

9 hours ago, Esquire said:

I’m seeing the same issue as others with large collections logged with GVN; the database warning pop up referring to an AJAX error. That said, it seems to be related to specific titles. For example, I can view my NES collection, but if I filter on value (highest to lowest) it throws the error. If I filter lowest to highest, I can step through the first 6 pages (1-300; 50 per page) until it throws the error. Seems like it is unable to retrieve the data for specific titles, or perhaps it isn’t serializing/deserializing the data correctly.

That aside, I’d also like to make a suggestion. It would be very helpful to have “Other” available as a Platform option for manually adding items that don’t fit anywhere else. For example, Amiga CD32, MSX, X68000, FM Towns, and PC-88/98, among a myriad of others. I don’t expect them to be tracked on the site, so just having a place to manually log them would be great. Alternatively, allowing us to add our own custom platforms would also resolve the issue, though I’m sure that’s much harder to implement.

Edit: Regarding the slow initial page load, and faster subsequent refresh, it’s likely due to caching on the backend. First user to access the game page will see slower load times, but then the data is cached for some amount of time so that it is quicker to access. Seems the initial load is bogged down by some costly operations; should hopefully improve with further development.

I am still waiting to hear back on the AJAX error. No update there yet.

As for the load times, yup it is a caching error and from what i am told is going to be fixed over the next week or two as the site gets buttoned up. The end goal is to have the site load very fast. Being able to whip out your phone and look a price up in just a few seconds is one of our main goals. So this is one of the top priorities. 

I will make a note of your suggestion about the "Other" platform option. 

@Magus I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or if I'm just crazy, but I've noticed on a couple of games that the average value GVN lists doesn't really make sense based off of the listings it shows as proof.  Madden 2004 for PS2 for instance, shows a average sealed value of 38.36 CDN currently, yet there isn't a single example in the sample pool of any selling for more than about 17.  I saw a similar result on another gamecube game but I can't remember which one.  Unless its getting data from somewhere other than it shows, I don't think that's how averages work.

EDIT: This was in the beta.  Didn't check old site.  Same weirdness with CIB.

EDIT 2: Also top angler still isn't showing any pulled data since April 23rd.

Edited by Homeboyks
Added clarification.

@Homeboyks From the looks of it, it looks like it is showing the US prices when it should be showing canadian, thus they are much cheaper. But that is just a guess. I will add this and everything else you guys put here to the error list to be looked over. Same with top angler. 

@Speedy_NES Looks like there is an error in the logic, these should have been pulled in. Like above i will add this to the list of issues. 

Thanks, 

Hello. I figured this is an opportunity to send in requests and feedback. 

First, There is a DS game, "Flower, Sun, and Rain", that is now being highly sought after but its GameValueNow page is completely DEAD and wont update for years... I am suspecting it could be because of the inclusion of subtitle " Mystery in Paradise" in the title that may be blocking all the listings? Since no one ever uses that subtitle and its super tiny when you see it on the cover. Maybe changing it to only "Flower Sun and Rain" would work? The price on the page does absolutely nothing to reflect current price that it is going for average of $80 now. 

Ebay completed listings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=flower+sun+rain+ds&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Gamevaluenow: https://gamevaluenow.com/nintendo-ds/flower-sun-and-rain-mystery-in-paradise?gameid=492

Lastly, I noticed Gamevaluenow constantly missed sold listings for Veggy World for the Nintendo DS. For instance, there were two sales of ~$350 last year and never showed up in Gamevaluenow and completely missed them. Another one went for $340 last month which still didn't show up. Recently, someone bought for $340 a few days ago and also didn't show up. The thing is that Veggy World CIB is super rare and hard to come by and the price GVN is showing is completely incorrect. 

Here are two sold listings for Veggy World from last month and few days ago:

May 6th for ~340: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Veggy-World-Nintendo-DS-Extremely-Rare-Complete-CIB-100-Authentic-Original/164179623958?epid=108710621&hash=item2639de4016:g:WtYAAOSwnWFeqgw7

listing id: 164179623958

Recent for also ~340: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Veggy-World-Nintendo-DS-2011-Rare/254622785268?epid=108710621&hash=item3b48b35ef4:g:yXEAAOSw56Re4kup

listing id: 254622785268

Veggy World for the DS is pretty huge deal now that it's now one of the top 3 most expensive DS games and one of the rarest with ~10,000 copies sold. Adding them to its gamevaluenow page would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Hachimoon

@Hachimoon I will look into both of these. Thanks for the report. 

@twiztor Sneak King is a single disk that works on both xbox and xbox360. The disk actually says this "Includes xbox 360 and original xbox versions" . The artwork is also stylized as a 360 game, as well as the disk. If you look in just about any location it is labeled as Xbox, Xbox 360 as the platforms.

This was added before i was with GVN, but personally i don't see any reason or evidence it is definitively an original xbox game vs xbox 360. But i am all ears if you have something, and if i am mistaken and it needs to be moved, we can move it. 

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

@Magus The Super Nintendo classic doesn't have any sales data from the last two months. It also has a gap of four months from August of '19 to last February where no sales data was recorded.

Thanks, this is one that was on my radar. Something is definitely wrong in the logic. I will add this to the running list. I have a few dozen games that either need to be tweaked or edited for various reasons. Not pulling in sales data is a common one. 

4 hours ago, Magus said:

@twiztor Sneak King is a single disk that works on both xbox and xbox360. The disk actually says this "Includes xbox 360 and original xbox versions" . The artwork is also stylized as a 360 game, as well as the disk. If you look in just about any location it is labeled as Xbox, Xbox 360 as the platforms.

This was added before i was with GVN, but personally i don't see any reason or evidence it is definitively an original xbox game vs xbox 360. But i am all ears if you have something, and if i am mistaken and it needs to be moved, we can move it. 

regardless of the fact that the case says "includes xbox 360 and original xbox versions", Sneak King is a single disc game. there are NO xbox 360 games that play on the OG xbox (someone please correct me if i'm wrong here!) so by default it would have to be an xbox game that plays on the backwards-compatible 360.

also, i'm aware of the fact that practically every mention of the game refers to it as a 360 game. but that doesn't make it correct. i don't see any argument for it to even be listed as a 360 game.

spine: clearly says XBox, unlike 360 games

top left corner: clearly says XBox, unlike 360 games

20200621_214453.jpg

20200621_214233.jpg

@twiztor The disk has TWO versions of the game on it. That's stated on the disk and it's stated in many articles by the developer himself. It isn't just an xbox game that is playable on the 360. They are 2 completely different builds/masters of the game on one disk. Read the link below the develop clearly explains this. 

In that case i fail to understand how it should be auto linked to just Xbox and not 360. In fact the game actually started as xbox 360 live arcade games. Xbox functionality was an afterthought. All i am saying is, where it is a unique case, where the disk has BOTH versions of the game, and not just a backwards compatible xbox game, there is no reason to arbitrarily pick xbox as the platform. But the same could be said for 360, so it technically should be in BOTH libraries since it has masters for both systems on the disk. 

It doesn't get any more correct than the developer  lol 

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130199/would_you_like_fries_with_that_.php?page=2

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130199/would_you_like_fries_with_that_.php

Edited by Magus
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
54 minutes ago, Magus said:

@twiztor The disk has TWO versions of the game on it. That's stated on the disk and it's stated in many articles by the developer himself. It isn't just an xbox game that is playable on the 360. They are 2 completely different builds/masters of the game on one disk. Read the link below the develop clearly explains this. 

In that case i fail to understand how it should be auto linked to just Xbox and not 360. In fact the game actually started as xbox 360 live arcade games. Xbox functionality was an afterthought. All i am saying is, where it is a unique case, where the disk has BOTH versions of the game, and not just a backwards compatible xbox game, there is no reason to arbitrarily pick xbox as the platform. But the same could be said for 360, so it technically should be in BOTH libraries since it has masters for both systems on the disk. 

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130199/would_you_like_fries_with_that_.php?page=2

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/130199/would_you_like_fries_with_that_.php

I'm getting flashbacks to Pokemon Yellow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm getting flashbacks to Pokemon Yellow.

It's definitely similar. Pokemon yellow is a GBC enhanced/compatible game in the US, but it's not a full color GBC title. Thus it classifies as an original GB game. In fact in Japan, it wasn't even color enhanced like it is in the US on the GBC.

This BK situation is slightly different because it has 2 completely different builds or masters of the game on a single disk. It's essentially 2 games on 1 disk. I can understand the argument to have it listed on BOTH platforms, but i don't see the argument to have it solely on regular Xbox. I would be curious to see what others think after reading the article i posted from the developer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magus said:

i did not know there were two builds on the same disc. That does tell a different story.  Thank you for linking that interview.

I still feel it should be included in the OG XBOX game category, for that reason and the case marking it as such. Having it in both libraries seems like a happy compromise. Also interested in what other members/collectors have to say.

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i did not know there were two builds on the same disc. That does tell a different story.  Thank you for linking that interview.

I still feel it should be included in the OG XBOX game category, for that reason and the case marking it as such. Having it in both libraries seems like a happy compromise. Also interested in what other members/collectors have to say.

Totally! I can definitely agree with that. It has 2 builds of the game, with no real official release platform. I can see it being included for both sets of games, rather than just 1 like it is now. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:10 AM, Esquire said:

I’m seeing the same issue as others with large collections logged with GVN; the database warning pop up referring to an AJAX error. That said, it seems to be related to specific titles. For example, I can view my NES collection, but if I filter on value (highest to lowest) it throws the error. If I filter lowest to highest, I can step through the first 6 pages (1-300; 50 per page) until it throws the error. Seems like it is unable to retrieve the data for specific titles, or perhaps it isn’t serializing/deserializing the data correctly.

That aside, I’d also like to make a suggestion. It would be very helpful to have “Other” available as a Platform option for manually adding items that don’t fit anywhere else. For example, Amiga CD32, MSX, X68000, FM Towns, and PC-88/98, among a myriad of others. I don’t expect them to be tracked on the site, so just having a place to manually log them would be great. Alternatively, allowing us to add our own custom platforms would also resolve the issue, though I’m sure that’s much harder to implement.

Edit: Regarding the slow initial page load, and faster subsequent refresh, it’s likely due to caching on the backend. First user to access the game page will see slower load times, but then the data is cached for some amount of time so that it is quicker to access. Seems the initial load is bogged down by some costly operations; should hopefully improve with further development.

Also If i click on any sufficiently large collection from the dashboard I get the ajax error as well. Sill.

Edited by Stormarov.45

9 minutes ago, Stormarov.45 said:

Also If i click on any sufficiently large collection from the dashboard I get the ajax error as well. Sill.

This isn't fixed yet. It's going to take some time unfortunately, the main site functionality takes priority for the moment. 

I don't have a concrete timeline for this. But hopefully over the next week or two. It WILL be fixed though. 

One new feature that we are happy about and can give a quick update on is that sales date pictures will be backed up. So now when ebay gets rid of the listings on their site, you will still be able to see the pictures on GVN associated with that listing, rather than broken images. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Plisse said:

When will the AJAX error get fixed? I'll be  honest, it's getting pretty frustrating not being able to look at my collection. The only thing that works is the dashboard...

I wish i had a concrete answer to give you. But at this point all i know is there is a list of tasks being worked on and there are a few ahead of this one taking priority. Because this is going to be what is likely a complete redesign of what's under the hood for the collection tracker, it is going to need a good chunk of time set aside that he just hasn't had yet. I wish it were just a quick fix. 

I appreciate you guys bearing with us, and i wish i had a more concrete answer or timeline. I will update as soon as i know more. 

23 hours ago, Magus said:

I wish i had a concrete answer to give you. But at this point all i know is there is a list of tasks being worked on and there are a few ahead of this one taking priority. Because this is going to be what is likely a complete redesign of what's under the hood for the collection tracker, it is going to need a good chunk of time set aside that he just hasn't had yet. I wish it were just a quick fix. 

I appreciate you guys bearing with us, and i wish i had a more concrete answer or timeline. I will update as soon as i know more. 

If the AJAX error exists as a result of redesigning the Collection Tracker, then I could understand how difficult it would be going about fixing the issue. However, probably most people who use the service don't know there is a redesign, and for me personally, I didn't even notice the BETA tab until I read it on a thread. Therefore, if people can't use the current site properly, that seems to me to be a tremendous risk that shouldn't be taken lightly. I can imagine a lot of current users will be jumping ship to something that actually works, there are plenty of services out there. I'm not a web designer by any means, but fixing the current site seems to me to be a way more important priority.

I personally stuck around because I loved the site, because it's free,  and because I'm excited to see what the new collection tracker will look like... Looking forward to having a stable site once again.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:11 AM, Magus said:

What the fuck? Who does this?

The redesign should be done offline and tested before it's put into production. You don't make changes in production until you are ready to roll out.

As long as the AJAX error exists your site is non-functional.

1) Fix the usability errors first
2) Then go back and clone everything and evolve on the side.  VMware is cheap and team foundation server is free. You should ever have to fuck up production to make changes.

YOUR PATRONS ARE YOUR CHIEF AND ONLY CONCERN!!! because without them you don't have a website. Think "customer first".

Edited by Stormarov.45