IGNORED

GameValueNow Main Thread

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, DeuceGamer said:

Flower Sun and Rain for the DS doesn’t appear to be tracking. Sales are from 5 years ago and aren’t close to being accurate for what they are currently are selling for.

Damn, I never opened mine.  Maybe time to sell 😅

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, bowser said:

GVN is getting too confusing to use. They're changing it up to make it look like a stock market or something. Gone is the simple interface. I'm jumping ship to pricecharting.

Are you on a computer or phone? Because for me on my phone there is little different. A couple extra data points on the front page, but how I use it is exactly the same and their collection tracker is kicking ass now that the bugs are fixed. 

20 hours ago, bowser said:

GVN is getting too confusing to use. They're changing it up to make it look like a stock market or something. Gone is the simple interface. I'm jumping ship to pricecharting.

That's fair if you're not into that thing but I'll honestly admit I'm a data-nerd.  These stats are a step in the direction of what I've always wanted.

I'm going to be a little nitpicky here but @Magus can you guys do something about the log in button? I often try to log into the site to add something to my collection and end up putting my info into to the create an account fields. Why is the "Log In Here" so small below the create account stuff? It's completely backwards compared to any other site I use. It should be the "Create an Account" down there.  Established users should not have to search for the proper place to log in.

image.png

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

So I just read ebay is cutting off API data for 3rd party sites. So this site along with all price charting type sites are now done right?

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2020/10/1603247341.html

it no long free is what is says it will cost to get the data so guess GVN will now start charging for the "data" they provide.  back to the spreed sheets and real book work for pricing.  about time!!!

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

So I just read ebay is cutting off API data for 3rd party sites. So this site along with all price charting type sites are now done right?

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2020/10/1603247341.html

Yes. Really this primarily hurts the users, honestly. Serious dick move on eBay's part. 

Expect GVN to carry on, but to focus solely on graded prices through heritage. Really this is good for them; they get to focus on JUST their primary demographic, while passing full blame on to eBay. 

Like I say this really only sucks for us, the users. And primarily we, the actual game collectors. The investors and speculators will lose nothing. 

• Like 2

Hoagie really got lucky and cashed out at a nice time. Happy for him.

Also, looks like manual price charts are back on the menu boys! My time to shine has finally come ... but I don’t care about prices anymore 😞 

Terrible for JJ Hendricks though! He sold JJ Games to focus on PriceCharting and now that’s basically dead in the water.

I wonder if having a scraper bot will be the only way going foreword. 🤔

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Just looked into it...

https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/buy/marketplace-insights/overview.html

It's not dead, but it will change.

That makes more sense. So at the least any such tracking site will have some work to do, and may or may not have some downtime. Since the new one looks to give a range of up to the last 90 days, that's technically plenty of time to re-arrange the code to pull from the new API and backfill.

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That makes more sense. So at the least any such tracking site will have some work to do, and may or may not have some downtime. Since the new one looks to give a range of up to the last 90 days, that's technically plenty of time to re-arrange the code to pull from the new API and backfill.

From what I can gather. They are not giving out access to this api. Currently limited to “approved developers” and has been that way since at least July. It is awful how little respect eBay has for people who use their api.

Edited by Hogie

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Hogie said:

From what I can gather. They are not giving out access to this api. Currently limited to “approved developers” and has been that way since at least July. It is awful how little respect eBay has for people who use their api.

Yeah I saw that. Tbh I could actually see GoCollect getting access - they're a registered company with a track record in price tracking (they have a comic book API). Frankly, and no offence - I could see them not giving a shit about it when you had issues cuz you were one dude with an app that likely wasn't raking in the cash for them compared to full-on businesses. It IS shitty, it's completely unfair to folks like yourself, and it's a big reason I've never bothered to make anything myself along those lines.

• 2 weeks later...

@LeatherRebel5150 @RH Noted, i will pass that along.

As for the API issues you guys are seeing, yes Ebay made a massive change, and we are trying our best to adapt. This is the second time in 1 year they have done this, only this time they have made it very hard to work with and in some cases aren't even giving access. There IS a workaround in progress, there are no plans to dump GVN or to stop collecting the data we always have been. 

Maybe that will change, and god i hope not, but for right now we are pivoting to keep things up and running with another method. Hopefully the plan works, they are working with a few ideas in the background as well.  

P.S. sorry i have been absent the past month, we moved and have had massive issues with the new house, i have had my hands full unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Magus said:

@LeatherRebel5150 @RH Noted, i will pass that along.

As for the API issues you guys are seeing, yes Ebay made a massive change, and we are trying our best to adapt. This is the second time in 1 year they have done this, only this time they have made it very hard to work with and in some cases aren't even giving access. There IS a workaround in progress, there are no plans to dump GVN or to stop collecting the data we always have been. 

Maybe that will change, and god i hope not, but for right now we are pivoting to keep things up and running with another method. Hopefully the plan works, they are working with a few ideas in the background as well.  

P.S. sorry i have been absent the past month, we moved and have had massive issues with the new house, i have had my hands full unfortunately. 

No need to be sorry @Magus! You've been awesome and very helpful when you didn't even have to. You are appreciated here!

• 2 weeks later...