IGNORED

GameValueNow Main Thread

Hey Guys,

We have a few other posts and i figured it was best to consolidate them all into one thread. I would like to be able to handle questions and error reports here to get them fixed. As well as a place to give updates as they happen.

Thanks for bearing with us, we appreciate it. This has been quite the experience moving an entire website over all while dealing with changes from ebay and the many issues that popped up in the process. 

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. 

CURRENT UPDATES 7/10

(1)- AJAX error has been fixed. Collection tracker should be functioning normally. At the moment it is updated every week or so, with the intent on getting this to be faster. 

(2)- Overall speed of the database should be improved across the board.

(3)- About 2/3 the way through the alphabet for adding switch games. Still many more limited editions to add as well

UPDATES 6/24

(1)- Images are now going to be backed up. So when ebay listings no longer are active, you will still be able to see the pictures on GVN.

(2)- Missing data has been added for hundreds of games. If you still see a listing with missing data, please report it and it will be added to the list of games to be fixed. 

(3)- All database errors and missing data so far are being added to a running list mentioned above. When we get the site functioning at 100%, this list will be addressed. I am working on getting access and the tools to handle this directly, so i can get to them quicker. 

(4)- The collection tracker needs a little more work than we expected unfortunately. The AJAX error you guys are getting will be fixed, but until we get the main site fully operational, the collection tracker will have to wait a little bit. 

UPDATES 6/17

(1)-The collection tracker is set to update once a week now. We are hoping to get it even sooner in the future, but for now a week should be considerably better than where it was at before. The daily averages do not move substantially in that timeframe anyway. 

(2)-We are looking into the games that are not pulling in sales data. We have a small list right now, but are hoping it's enough to narrow it down. 

(3)-Switch games are being added as we speak. This will take some time as there hundreds of games that need to be added from scratch. 

(4)-Variants and games missing for current systems are also going to be added again soon. Once the site is stable and functioning properly this will be a priority. Stuff like "Super Mario Bros 3 Left Bros Variant" for example, will be added and tracked. I am going to be able to add these in myself as well as some other features i did not have before. 

Edited by Magus

3 hours ago, kell said:

Love the site and appreciation all your work on it Magus.  

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but collection tracker is timing out for me as of now

Well that's no good lol Hmm, there are a ton of moving pieces right now behind the scenes, number 2 was just figured out and addressed fortunately, working on a fix for it now. I am wondering if during this process other functions are being affected as they work on each issue. Let me reach out and see. 

Thanks man, appreciate it. Can't wait to get this site 100% again. 

It's up now. But i was told it may go down again periodically unfortunately. We are working on getting it sorted out permanently. There is lots of activity going on behind the scenes to clear up the database for accuracy like the missing data for certain games, it seems to be straining things. Which is why the tracker was fine this morning but had issues when we started fixing the other issues. 

2 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

FYI, You probably already know but just to chip in the Collection Tracker is up and working and the prices updated. Took a huge jump up, lol.

Haha yeah, the COVID prices are now in there from the update since it hadn't been updated in quite some time, so i imagine you saw a giant increase. 

13 hours ago, kell said:

When I log in and go to my collection I get this error:

DataTables warning: table id=datatable - Ajax error. For more information about this error, please see http://datatables.net/tn/7

Just in case you need some trouble shooting help 🙂

@Homeboyks @kell Thanks for the error reports guys. I will forward them along. 

4 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Jesus, is this accurate? My shit jumped like 35k lol

Lol i mean prices have skyrocketed the past few months. If you have a large collection, it makes sense it got a large boost. 

But try and double check the most valuable items you have to be sure something isn't way off in price jacking up your total. 

1 hour ago, Magus said:

Lol i mean prices have skyrocketed the past few months. If you have a large collection, it makes sense it got a large boost. 

But try and double check the most valuable items you have to be sure something isn't way off in price jacking up your total. 

COVID jacking up everyone’s totals lol

54 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

COVID jacking up everyone’s totals lol

Recently, I've sold of some stuff and tracked some as well, and have seen such a large spike in activity and prices. Plus, I think some of the GVN prices for higher end games were much too low when compared to what was going on in the market, including HA. So I think the large increase makes sense and puts the games more in line with the current market which is good to see.

Edited by kell

10 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I’m getting the following error when trying to sort from high to low value on my phone. It works to sort from low to high, but when I hit the button again it errors out. This is not happening with the A-Z button. 

Same thing on desktop. Must be some bugs present after getting it all back working again from the outage late last week.

I see some others mentioned it above, so at least it's a known thing and it's been forwarded along.

Edited by Oobgarm

14 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I’m getting the following error when trying to sort from high to low value on my phone. It works to sort from low to high, but when I hit the button again it errors out. This is not happening with the A-Z button. 

FBAB49DB-DCA9-4A02-B15F-33700DE24AD6.png

Yup someone else also reported the same issue, so it must be a common error. I forwarded it along, i will let you guys know when it is taken care of.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hey @Homeboyks @doner24 @Oobgarm, just wanted to update on the errors. The sorting by price error in the collection tracker, should be fixed. I just tested it and it is working fine now for me. Please check this for me and let me know if you guys still have issues.

@a3quit4s - All the games you made a list about not pulling in data, should have data now. Also Gun+Nac should have no issues being found on the new Beta site. The old site still has an issue with this. The speed should also be better. 

Edited by Magus

Moderator · Posted
43 minutes ago, Magus said:

Hey @Homeboyks @doner24 @Oobgarm, just wanted to update on the errors. The sorting by price error in the collection tracker, should be fixed. I just tested it and it is working fine now for me. Please check this for me and let me know if you guys still have issues.

@a3quit4s - All the games you made a list about not pulling in data, should have data now. Also Gun+Nac should have no issues being found on the new Beta site. The old site still has an issue with this. The speed should also be better. 

I just got the same error in the same spot, it seems to be sporadic. I also got the same error when simply trying to access my GBA collection. 

25 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I just got the same error in the same spot, it seems to be sporadic. I also got the same error when simply trying to access my GBA collection. 

Hmm okay. I have a very small collection of 25 games in my collection to test, which works, so i think it must be related to how big the collection is. There must be a coding issue with either the quanitity of games or value that is tripping it for larger collections. I thought it was fixed, but i may have jumped the gun. Let me check in with them. 

Moderator · Posted
35 minutes ago, Magus said:

Hmm okay. I have a very small collection of 25 games in my collection to test, which works, so i think it must be related to how big the collection is. There must be a coding issue with either the quanitity of games or value that is tripping it for larger collections. I thought it was fixed, but i may have jumped the gun. Let me check in with them. 

Weird, because my gba collection is about the same amount of games. But my nes collection is like 700 items and works properly, but my snes collection of the same size doesn’t.

3 hours ago, Magus said:

Do we need to alert you when we find a game that hasnt pulled data in months or has this been fixed globally?

I just ran a search for new super mario bros and when clicking on it in the results page it took me 25 seconds to get to the actual game page. When I go back to it is is much faster

image.thumb.png.7e69aacee4713031c3b4578dc3cac687.png

Searching from the beta site for a game I have not looked for before, Wild Gunman, took the same amount of time:

image.thumb.png.b32b78907de8dec6bc16d01b8e57aca1.png

If someone closed that latency ticket I would suggest it be re-opened!

edit: ouch port 22 is open to the world on that ip that http get maps to, I suggest changing that security group in AWS to only allow ssh from certain IPs!

Edited by a3quit4s

@a3quit4s If you see a game that has no data, please report it. It was fixed globally, but that doesn't mean there might not still be some happening from a different issue. Looking at the list you sent me, games were in fact pulled in for them. 

As for the speed, keep in mind a lot of stuff is happening behind the scenes, and it could be temporary while the maintenance is being done. The end result is to have it be very snappy, but that won't happen while maintenance is being done over the next couple of weeks. So you may see the speed go up and down over the next couple of weeks. It was supposed to be improved enough that the site was more than usable though and better than it was. 

This seems to only be slow for newly accessed pages for the first time. And even then i don't quite have it as slow as you. Mine is about 15 seconds which is still very slow. I am sure this isn't normal, but let me see if this is something that is just temporary from like i said the maintenance happening under the hood right now, or if it should be fixed and not doing this. 

Edited by Magus

I’m seeing the same issue as others with large collections logged with GVN; the database warning pop up referring to an AJAX error. That said, it seems to be related to specific titles. For example, I can view my NES collection, but if I filter on value (highest to lowest) it throws the error. If I filter lowest to highest, I can step through the first 6 pages (1-300; 50 per page) until it throws the error. Seems like it is unable to retrieve the data for specific titles, or perhaps it isn’t serializing/deserializing the data correctly.

That aside, I’d also like to make a suggestion. It would be very helpful to have “Other” available as a Platform option for manually adding items that don’t fit anywhere else. For example, Amiga CD32, MSX, X68000, FM Towns, and PC-88/98, among a myriad of others. I don’t expect them to be tracked on the site, so just having a place to manually log them would be great. Alternatively, allowing us to add our own custom platforms would also resolve the issue, though I’m sure that’s much harder to implement.

Edit: Regarding the slow initial page load, and faster subsequent refresh, it’s likely due to caching on the backend. First user to access the game page will see slower load times, but then the data is cached for some amount of time so that it is quicker to access. Seems the initial load is bogged down by some costly operations; should hopefully improve with further development.

Edited by Esquire