IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Recca

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The guy who phases in and out? No, he's number six of eleven.

I can see why you thought that, as the swarm stage before his is longer than the ones before the others, but no, you're just over halfway through it, dude.

Final boss has his own special intro. When you meet him, BOMB THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING! SERIOUSLY, DON'T STOP BOMBING!

few more runs and ill be able to clear.

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The guy who phases in and out? No, he's number six of eleven.

I can see why you thought that, as the swarm stage before his is longer than the ones before the others, but no, you're just over halfway through it, dude.

Final boss has his own special intro. When you meet him, BOMB THE SHIT OUT OF EVERYTHING! SERIOUSLY, DON'T STOP BOMBING!

Yes sorry I was wrong. There are 11 total. I was trying to think what you meant by mirage. The last boss enters from below and comes up. Bomb then just straight fire or risk charging up more bombs and dying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Boss 9 is my least favorite!

Yeah, that asshole fakes you out. I don't know if there's an overall pattern or what. I know his lasers give you a microsecond of warning, but his movement is erratic.

If I remember, I try to speed up and shoot to the opposite edge of the screen, but in the heat of battle I always forget to hit select.

4 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Yes sorry I was wrong. There are 11 total. I was trying to think what you meant by mirage. The last boss enters from below and comes up. Bomb then just straight fire or risk charging up more bombs and dying.

I use the bomb blasts as a shield and try to stay within it to charge another. I know direct fire is effective, but those blue orbs are tough to dodge. 😞

Edited by Tulpa

17 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

@Kid Dracula lol you let the game run for an hour to test that timer/score system. respect.

Haha I did.You get 60 minutes to beat the game but it only takes about 22-25 minutes. So you could still farm energy ball for points for 35 minutes which is pretty boring. Should we cap the time limit on the game at 30 minutes to prevent this unnecessary farming? 

Just now, Kid Dracula said:

Haha I did.You get 60 minutes to beat the game but it only takes about 22-25 minutes. So you could still farm energy ball for points for 35 minutes which is pretty boring. Should we cap the time limit on the game at 30 minutes to prevent this unnecessary farming? 

idk. scoring seems kinda broken 😕 we could use the timer to determine a winner between finished games but that would eleminate the skill of staying off the "b" button.... idk...

1 minute ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

the game really isnt that tough. its like tricky tough...it looks and feels overwhelming but its really not as hectic as it seems. 

Yeah, it's not as bad as its rep. The game has a ton of distractions with the varied enemies and beautiful graphics, but the patterns are always the same. If it suckers you in a spot, you know it is coming next time.

There's only a handful of spots that are truly tricky. The first level is a comparative cakewalk. The second level has a couple of enemies that come out of nowhere, and a few tricky blue orb spots, but a bomb at those spots gets you through. Third level the tough part is the turrets, so I stay in the upper right quadrant to take them out as they spawn. If you keep your distance, they pick you off with astonishing accuracy. Fourth level is just getting the boss patterns down, half of which you've seen already. And then the final dude.

3 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

idk. scoring seems kinda broken 😕 we could use the timer to determine a winner between finished games but that would eleminate the skill of staying off the "b" button.... idk...

Why would you say scoring is broken aside from that? I think the developers actually put a lot of time into the scoring. Collecting multiple items when fully powered up gives you 10,000 so the game rewards you for not dying. Definitely should stay high score and not fastest win I think. I wouldn’t be opposed to limiting it to 30 minutes (which is more than enough time to finish the game). If it stays 60 as is that’s fine it won’t affect things too much. You’ll just have to energy ball farm for 30 minutes or so every game if you want to go for top score. Which takes the enjoyment down for me personally. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dracula said:

Why would you say scoring is broken aside from that? I think the developers actually put a lot of time into the scoring. Collecting multiple items when fully powered up gives you 10,000 so the game rewards you for not dying. You’ll just have to energy ball farm for 30 minutes or so every game if you want to go for top score. Which takes the enjoyment down for me personally. 

its only broken because in order to maximize score you have to nearly limit the timer. which means like hey ive finished the game but this guy is going to score more points than me because it took him longer to beat the bosses where i wiped them out quick. imo the ladder is more impressive... 

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I wonder what it was like in the actual competition? I don't know if anyone had more than one shot at the game, or if they figured out how to farm points with the charge bomb.

its mind blowing they put together a competition cart with broken scoring 🤦‍♂️

Edited by 42 foot tapeworm

Just now, 42 foot tapeworm said:

Yeah, but I'm not sure they figured that out during the heat of the event. Well, maybe they did, as it was a multi-city event.

We have the luxury of a week and having to fuck around with it.

3 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

Well didn’t they use the score attack portion of the game for the competition? I actually don’t know that’s just what I assumed. That part is timed and wouldn’t be broken. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid Dracula said:

Well didn’t they use the score attack portion of the game for the competition? I actually don’t know that’s just what I assumed. That part is timed and wouldn’t be broken. 

That could be it. I can't imagine they'd wait twenty plus minutes for each kid to complete it. The longer modes might just be the home release.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

its only broken because in order to maximize score you have to nearly limit the timer. which means like hey ive finished the game but this guy is going to score more points than me because it took him longer to beat the bosses where i wiped them out quick. imo the ladder is more impressive... 

Have these contests ever done a speed run instead of high score? Could be interesting. I still think high score (with a time limit) is more impressive but I’m fine either way. We’ll leave it up @guillavoie and @BeaIank whether any rules modifications will be in place. 

so the 

1 minute ago, Kid Dracula said:

Have these contests ever done a speed run instead of high score? Could be interesting. I still think high score (with a time limit) is more impressive but I’m fine either way. We’ll leave it up @guillavoie and @BeaIank whether any rules modifications will be in place. 

i dont mind high score and shorten the time limit. you will still have to strategically get as close to max time allowed. i think staying off the "b" button is more impressive than quick kill bosses.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

If the score attack timer wasn't only 2 minutes, I would have went with it.
For now, I think high score is the best option to go for Recca.
And it is Wednesday. Bit too late for a significant rules change like that.

• Like 1

I just did a run to test it out. Got to level 4 and started farming and made lunch. Came back half hour later to finish the game but I didn’t do so well. Still got 4.6 million and there was 4 bosses left to go. Only issue now is it doesn’t show your time on the game over screen. I guess you could have a stipulation that a completed game is the number one priority. From there score used as a tie breaker amongst those that completed it (and hopefully a time maximum).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

If the score attack timer wasn't only 2 minutes, I would have went with it.
For now, I think high score is the best option to go for Recca.
And it is Wednesday. Bit too late for a significant rules change like that.

Totally fair! Yeah 2 minutes isn’t long enough. It is only a 30 minute farm window so not a big deal. 

Edited by Kid Dracula