IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Recca

BeaIank

29 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

5 pages of posts by Monday afternoon? And the @42 foot tapeworm is actually playing? This week will be crazy competitive. And Doug's still at it after swearing it off lol

Well, I'm still out for a while, but since the contest got posted while Mario Bros was still going on yesterday I figured I might as well get one more quick participation score in.

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Well, I'm still out for a while, but since the contest got posted while Mario Bros was still going on yesterday I figured I might as well get one more quick participation score in.

Guess I had the impression you weren't going to post during your time away. Glad you'll still be around. And if that score is your final submission this week, I finally beat Doug!!!!! 

B4mrEEvCQAAFX4D.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Guess I had the impression you weren't going to post during your time away. Glad you'll still be around. And if that score is your final submission this week, I finally beat Doug!!!!! 

I'm sure I'll still drop in. It's likely going to take over a million just to make the top 8 this week, so I'm probably going to take my 3 points for posting a score and call it a week.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I like to keep my options open!

I can't imagine actually getting anywhere with this thing. It took me a handful of tries just to beat the first boss. No delusions of getting top 8, but I'm going to keep playing. It fits my ADD determined preferences. Short and fast paced. Maybe if I can get decent at it and the next shooter will seem easier. 

Edited by NESfiend

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I can't imagine actually getting anywhere with this thing. No delusions of getting top 8, but I'm going to keep playing. It fits my ADD determined preferences. Short and fast paced. Maybe if I can get decent at it and the next shooter will seem easier. 

Even I broke a million, I'd probably still be in participation score territory. If I can get another run in, I'd like to get out of last place.

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I can play about two games of this before my thumb hurts too much to keep going. 

Yeah, the biggest thing about this game is that both A and B are useful fire buttons, and you're holding them down a lot.

B fire (main weapon) has some spots where it's better off holding fire (either for the bomb or just to rack up points), but there's no reason not to be holding down A.

It wears on you.

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, the biggest thing about this game is that both A and B are useful fire buttons, and you're holding them down a lot.

B fire (main weapon) has some spots where it's better off holding fire (either for the bomb or just to rack up points), but there's no reason not to be holding down A.

It wears on you.

Wow I'm a real dip shit. I didnt realize you could hold down the fire button for the main weapon. Ive been just destroying my thumb mashing. That was really dumb to assume you couldn't just hold it down

Edited by NESfiend

On 6/14/2020 at 10:08 AM, Tulpa said:

It was the second of the three Naxat Soft shooters for their Summer Carnival (a competitor to Hudson's Summer Caravan.) The other two were Spriggan and Nexzr Special, both for the PC Engine.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:40 AM, Kid Dracula said:

I played the hell out of Nexzr when I got my PC Engine Duo a few years ago. Spriggan is also a gem. I have never played Recca despite hearing so many good things about it over the years! This contest also gives me a chance to break this out...wait for it...

ive heard good things of nexzr and spriggan. just never a pc engine guy. i dabbled a bit a couple years ago but the $$$$ drove me away.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wish I could say that you were wrong. I'm getting worried having to sit back and wait for at least one person to post a lower score.

I'll be recruiting new members. 10 dollar signing bonus for anyone who puts up 400k on recca by weeks end. 

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I'll be recruiting new members. 10 dollar signing bonus for anyone who puts up 400k on recca by weeks end. 

I did finish in last place once back in 2013, so now I feel mildly relieved knowing that it actually has happened before. I was starting to get worried.