IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Recca

BeaIank

Neat. There's a glow-in-the-dark Recca repro cartridge (standard NES style) on eBay right now.

I should also point out that there is a hacked "pure" Recca ROM out there. It allows you to select the hard mode and the Zanki Attack mode from the menu, rather than entering a code (or for hard mode, beating the game and resetting) to get to them. It doesn't affect the normal mode, so I imagine you can use it for the contest.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Both times I completed the game I got around 4 million, but I'm positive I left a lot of points on the table.

Protip: you rack up points if you charge the bomb and not use your main weapon.

For what it's worth, the Twin Galaxies record is 1,195,257 but there are only two submissions and I'm guessing they didn't even come close to finishing the game.

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

For what it's worth, the Twin Galaxies record is 1,195,257 but there are only two submissions and I'm guessing they didn't even come close to finishing the game.

TG records are usually very beatable, at least the ones not submitted by Tom Votava. Three players beat the record for Kung Fu B type in that one loop contest (although that record has since gone up to 603k).

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

TG records are usually very beatable, at least the ones not submitted by Tom Votava. Three players beat the record for Kung Fu B type in that one loop contest (although that record has since gone up to 603k).

I just did a quick Google search to see if they even had a record since I know they have them for PAL games. There are a lot of popular NES games with records that have been beaten multiple times in the contests.

27 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Jesus, you can get that just futzing around on the first two levels.

I just tried and got to the seventh boss of level 4 and got over 3 million. And I'm way out of practice. I would post my score, but it wouldn't be official since I didn't get the entire screen.

Edited by Tulpa

5 hours ago, Kid Dracula said:

No...not a genuine copy but an interesting one-off reproduction from Nintendo Age ~2009. I wish I could remember the members name.

Somehow I double posted... when I clicked submit, it didn't close out the ability to edit and then take me to my post... weird

Edited by ninjistar