IGNORED

Price Check: Game Boy Comboy in good shape.

RH

53 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Its too niche to price out. I doubt you can even get a firm price in Korea.

Try contacting game_boy_micro_collector on Instagram, he's really huge into Game Boy and this would be right up his alley.

Thanks, but I figured I'd just bump this one more time for future reference.  I found a guy who was willing to ship one from Europe.  It was a lot of money, but considering the rarity and obscurity of this device, I was considering making the purchase anyway.  I passed anyway. I'd hate to see the same one end up on eBay, though, in 3 months and go for $2,000.  Yeah, the offer was much less than that but still "not cheap".

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, JVOSS said:

RH,

Sorry for the huge delay.  so the Comboy. 

what version?

version DMG-S-GA-KOR  is a COMBOY MINI

version DMG-S-GB-KOR is a COMBOY Japan

I guess I'm going to have to ask for maybe both.  The opportunity has past and I don't have a photo of the back.  For posterity, though, I'd still like to know.

RH,

For Posterity, and disclaimer (information only not meant to set value or give advise on price!)

DMG-GATR-KOR-SYS-SIBssssss.jpg.5d8a39a9297708bb3b0c91f45b126298.jpgDMG-S-GATR-(KOR) is a box code this will not be seen on the GB itself.  With a box that is GA it should have the COMBOY graphics.  The back will have the "Made in China" in black stamped just above serial number.  Serial number is a little harder to understand.  The Game Boy COMBOY China SN, will most likely start at 2  as 1 was for states and EU but in some cases the COMBOY was shipped with a very high 1.

photo is someones else. i use for ref.  this one is a vg example of GATR-KOR

Coloring are the standard cream, red and black.  screens will have dot matrix at top

Starting cost for this version. 

SIB(System In box) $1500 to $3000 box and condition sensitive.

the one pictured would easily go for $2500 - $5000 (again i have only seen one in this condition)

unit only at best $200-$800 serial number and condition sensitive.

DMG-GB-KOR-SYS-SIB-aaaa.jpg.6de2fca9b27745cacd4309d58eeab158.jpgDMG-S-GB-KOR or japan DMG-S-GB(KOR)-1  or unconfirmed by possibly DMG-S-GB(KOR)-2, are box code these will not be seen on the GB itself.  These versions are COMBOY's but with out the logo.  They are produced in japan, and there is no "made in china" and sometimes they will have a USA-1 manual style. This style is more common and easily confused with a standard Game Boy.  Serial numbers tend to start in the 4 and even 5.

I have even see this confused as a Play It Loud GB.

Coloring are the standard cream, red and black.  screens will have dot matrix at top

Starting cost for this version. 

SIB(System In box) $1000 to $1500 box and condition sensitive.

the one pictured would easily go for $1250  (more common)

unit only at at best $200-$600 serial number and condition sensitive.

One other unit that is out there in box from is the "Korea Only box". This one is more rare then the first one.  i have seen only in pic and never in hand.  so not really able to confirm the authenticity of it.  However if it holds true and the unit is a true comboy(with graphics) then it could go very high.

However if the unit is a japan comboy then it could still go high but not as high.

Unconfirmed and very dangerous.  the refits/re-shells/refurbished(IE TRASH)

Since the Japan Comboys are in the wild and disreputable people are in for the money it almost impossible to to verify what you have with out a box or a serial database.  here is in my opinion a refit/re-shell/refurbished

trash2-c.jpg.cb5d11d61c1f6ed4819ef7bc04213856.jpgtrash2ra.jpg.eda02b3f4e91dda3528fe498921c6acd.jpgtrash1re.jpg.8eeffe312fa7c061cfef90c04fffc639.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 11:52 AM, JVOSS said:

Not necessarily trash just don't pay an arm or leg and check the back. 

i would want to hold in hand before i buy.  which is not always possible.

i had a few in hand and had to walk.  the feel was not quite right.

In that above example, what would make the loose one trash?  Just curious, your explanation was a bit confusing to me.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:03 AM, fcgamer said:

In that above example, what would make the loose one trash?  Just curious, your explanation was a bit confusing to me.

For my taste the case had all the marking of a reshell.

1. The serial sticker was lifted in such a way as replace,
  2. the battery cover was different yellowing then back cover.
  3. the front was different color then back. 
  4. the cart slot, the ware was not really present.

as this was an ebay auction i was not able to hold in hand so unable to tell what the texture was. 

29 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

These reshells, they are making comboy shells repro shells? Or just the back is a reshell, or? That's where I'm confused, as the front has the Korean text, right? Wouldn't those be hard to get ?

for the ones that are China "Comboy's" the "reShell" are just the backs and battery covers.   The tech is there for the front to be redone if the prices starts to rise...  a uv ink printer can make a sample in like 30 seconds and a standard gb is what 35 and a Comboy with out box is what 600-800 to a unsuspecting buyer. that is like what 5 to 7 take take home.

that is why serial nb should be looked at close. and way the gb feels in hand.

as for  the Japan Korean are just the standard gb but the box is what is being looked for. 

28 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

for the ones that are China "Comboy's" the "reShell" are just the backs and battery covers.   The tech is there for the front to be redone if the prices starts to rise...  a uv ink printer can make a sample in like 30 seconds and a standard gb is what 35 and a Comboy with out box is what 600-800 to a unsuspecting buyer. that is like what 5 to 7 take take home.

that is why serial nb should be looked at close. and way the gb feels in hand.

as for  the Japan Korean are just the standard gb but the box is what is being looked for. 

So the problem is just the back being swapped, essentially?

That reminds me how I feel about cartridge shell swaps, yet I remember at NA it was the rage.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, I can add 2 serials of GB consoles with the "Mini Comboy" silkscreen that seem to be real. The serials are also sort of similar:

G12652492 (from ebay)

G14381127 (owned by me)

G12/G14 are written slightly shfited and bolder, I am guessing that's the factory code or a date code, or both. consoles made in japan (not china)