IGNORED

Highly Acclaimed Games -- that you just don't like!

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I don't know really, everywhere on the internet?

I must be on the wrong internet.

No seriously though, I'm not trying to argue.  I have no stake here - I haven't bothered to actually play through any Xenoblade yet - but it seems like it was received by the vast majority of critics and gamers as a B/B+/A- sorta thing.  So I'm just generally curious.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just compared to the original which everyone considered A/A+ dunno? Also the characters look like lifeless puppets for no reason. It's not that I have a problem with anime artwork, it's just that they seemed to design the 3D models to be unable to convey any emotions outside of big boobies. Which I guess isn't an emotion either, if you wanna be nitpicky about it.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:04 AM, MegaMan52 said:

Final Fantasy VII. I'm dead serious.

If I want to play an RPG from Square, I'd greatly prefer playing Super Mario RPG instead. Or even the original Final Fantasy.

Same. I mentioned it in another thread. The previous Final Fantasies I've played are so much better.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Maybe it's just compared to the original which everyone considered A/A+ dunno? Also the characters look like lifeless puppets for no reason. It's not that I have a problem with anime artwork, it's just that they seemed to design the 3D models to be unable to convey any emotions outside of big boobies. Which I guess isn't an emotion either, if you wanna be nitpicky about it.

Wait... Wait. Big boobies are emotions? That now has me rethinking the whole size of one's eyes determine their emotions. 😁

On 6/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I thought TLoU was pretty much universally acclaimed, but I've heard similar complaints now from numerous people. I still plan to play it, but my expectations are tempered, which will probably result in a much better experience.

I really enjoyed it. The story isn't all that groundbreaking, but I like the angle they took with it. Also enjoyed the interactions between the main characters. If you don't like games that require stealth, though, I think you'll get tired of it quickly. I actually suck at stealth, even though I enjoy it. 

On 6/8/2020 at 10:36 PM, Tanooki said:

Earthbound -- in the later 90s I played the hell out of it guide and all and finished it, it was a nice ride, but I didn't get the love some had for it as it didn't feel like life altering, and then the asinine level of fanboy rage and love over the years it confuses me to no end.  The game has quite a few questionable to annoying design quirks either can either like or hate, no middle ground really.  In all fairness I could probably just never play it again or casually tap it with the sd2snes and be fine, but seeing the last time I got a copy around 9 years ago when it had crept over $100 even then for all of $2 I decided no amount of bait pricing would make me dump it as it cost me basically nothing.

Here's another one I agree with. I played through the entire game and found it lackluster. I don't remember any of the OST, certainly don't remember very much of the game at all. I really don't understand the fandom.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 10:46 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

Super Mario Odyssey.

I'm playing through Super Mario Odyssey right now. I do like it, but it's nowhere as addicting for me as the Galaxies were. Also... I like finding the moons, but there are just way too many of them... why do you have to spend 100 coins on one in each shop??

23 minutes ago, ookii_risu said:

why do you have to spend 100 coins on one in each shop??

Do you, though? IIRC you can buy an endless amount of moons from coins. I think it's intended like a fallback solution for people who find the moons too hard to get normally? Which doesn't make sense of course, as there's a crazy surplus of moons that take no effort to obtain.

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

Wait... Wait. Big boobies are emotions? That now has me rethinking the whole size of one's eyes determine their emotions. 😁

Oh yeah. They were really expressive in that game.  Gave me a lot to think about.

I don't get the argument that the faces weren't expressive.  If you play the game they convey plenty of emotions.  The art just does look like PS2 assets.

Zelda Breath of the Wild

I am finding it extremely tedious: weapons breaking, can only carry so many, cooking, can't swim/climb for more than 10 seconds. And the dungeons are weak.  Maybe I just haven't played it long enough, or not doing something right, but I just can't get into it and it is actually becoming laborious to play. Which is especially sad since the wife and I have always loved playing Zelda games together.

10 hours ago, Sumez said:

Do you, though? IIRC you can buy an endless amount of moons from coins. I think it's intended like a fallback solution for people who find the moons too hard to get normally? Which doesn't make sense of course, as there's a crazy surplus of moons that take no effort to obtain.

Nope, just one to buy. But you can give Toad 50 coins to tell you where one of the moons is hiding. 

45 minutes ago, wyansas said:

The latest one is Red Dead 2.  The movement doesn't feel good and the touchy wanted system punishes you for playing the game.  Then you have to do chores.  Game's tedious.

Agree. So much. There is potential for greatness in the amazing world they built, but the actual gameplay and story are pretty weak. Long horseback conversations, slowly walking through camp, being unable to plan and execute elaborate robberies, and tediously rummaging through drawers look are not the activities I'm looking for in a game about living the outlaw life.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, MrMark0673 said:

The Oddworld series is trash.

When I created this thread, I was rather hoping to avoid just angry generalizations like this.

You can certainly hate Oddworld or any game you want - but I think you should actually give context to what you say. Otherwise, just saying something is "trash" reads more like troll bait. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

Perhaps, but it's still pretty damn hard to top that I think.

And that's coming from someone with a fucking Zelda avatar?  A series that hasn't had a worthwhile game in literally 30 years?  Some taste you got there, which ones was your favorite, the one where he tuns into a dog or the one with a final boss fight that takes 20 minutes were you simply move around in a circle?  That's some real compelling gameplay, that circle movement strategy really broke new ground in what was possible with a video game.

• Confused 1

Wow, how angry can you really be about Zelda? 

10 hours ago, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

Infinitely buying moons would be like earning the same one over and over again.

I think there might be different ways to buy moons, but you absolutely can buy infinite moons in the game! They don't count towards completion in each world of course, but they add to your total count.

9 hours ago, wyansas said:

The latest one is Red Dead 2.  The movement doesn't feel good and the touchy wanted system punishes you for playing the game.  Then you have to do chores.  Game's tedious.

I heard this from pretty much everyone when the game came out. I haven't talked to a single person who enjoyed the game. Most people really wanted to enjoy it, but just couldn't do it due to all the things you mentioned. It's the reason I never bothered with the game, because I actually really liked the original the previous game, much to my own surprise.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
41 minutes ago, peg said:

And that's coming from someone with a fucking Zelda avatar?  A series that hasn't had a worthwhile game in literally 30 years?  Some taste you got there, which ones was your favorite, the one where he tuns into a dog or the one with a final boss fight that takes 20 minutes were you simply move around in a circle?  That's some real compelling gameplay, that circle movement strategy really broke new ground in what was possible with a video game.

Jesus, I dunno who shit in your cereal but you need to calm down a bit, bud. I thought it was pretty clear from my tone that I was just messing around, I couldn't actually care less what your gaming opinions are, even if I heavily disagree. I dunno if you just have something against 3D games or what, but you don't have to get so damn riled up over nothing. I'd love to sit down and have a legitimate chat with you about why you think that none of the games that have come out in the last couple decades are good, I'd honestly love to know your thinking on that, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be possible given how apparently pissed off you are about someone disagreeing with what you must surely know is an incredibly unpopular opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 11:52 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

...I guess the closest thing that is coming to mind over the last decade would be Moonlighter.  I don't know if it was acclaimed or not, but man was it flawed.  Coulda been so good but they really dropped the ball on fleshing things out.

Still, I did kinda enjoy the playthrough here and there though... shit I guess I did like it.  Even if it was nothing like what I wanted it to be.

Moonlighter was a bit of a disappointment. I did enjoy it for what it was, but there isn't much to the game, really. Apparently there's DLC... might be worth it for $7.

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

I heard this from pretty much everyone when the game came out. I haven't talked to a single person who enjoyed the game. Most people really wanted to enjoy it, but just couldn't do it due to all the things you mentioned. It's the reason I never bothered with the game, because I actually really liked the original the previous game, much to my own surprise.

You haven’t? It’s a very highly acclaimed game. I personally haven’t spoken to anyone who doesn’t like it, unless it’s someone who simply doesn’t enjoy open world games. But by that metric it doesn’t say anything about the quality of the game itself. It’s fair to say if you like the first, you’ll like the second. It’s the same thing just with better attention to detail, better story, more interesting environments, and more to do. And if you enjoyed the first game’s story, there’s a whole lot of references and cool details.

• Like 1

Assasins creed , devil may cry , teken , street fighter turbo or whathever , call of duty (i love shooters but i never liked call of duty) , golden eye , grand turismo 

Not saying its bad in fact its a very impressive game but some reason after days of playing any Grad Theft Auto i get bored . 

I was a huge fan of RPG`s but after finishing Final Fantasy Vll and FF10 its over , they are all the same for me

Edited by Mijael

Editorials Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Mijael said:

Assasins creed , devil may cry , teken , street fighter turbo or whathever , call of duty (i love shooters but i never liked call of duty) , golden eye , grand turismo 

Not saying its bad in fact its a very impressive game but some reason after days of playing any Grad Theft Auto i get bored . 

I was a huge fan of RPG`s but after finishing Final Fantasy Vll and FF10 its over , they are all the same for me