IGNORED

Highly Acclaimed Games -- that you just don't like!

20 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

That one's definitely not an unpopular opinion at all. As someone who loves the Sonic games, I still like Sonic 1 for what it is, but it is easily the worst 2D game in the franchise, and I think just about everyone would agree with that. It can be very frustrating at times.

Well, I can believe it.  I've not really talked about it much.  I imagine a lot of people like the spin dash, but it also feels a bit wrong to dislike the first game in a long running franchise when so much of it is very familiar.  Sonic 1 & 2 aren't super different.  Yes, 2 does add more but it's not as different as SMB1 and SMB3 (the real SMB2).  Sonic 2 was much of the same but with that one element added, which affected a lot of the game.  It was a minor innovation with a big impact.

My point, it feels so wrong to dislike an original game for it lacking such a small but important feature.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted
On 6/7/2020 at 10:46 AM, captmorgandrinker said:

Super Mario Odyssey.

I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a once and done kind of game for me.  Beat it, didn't 100% get every item and moon.  Most likely won't be playing it again. 

I did not enjoy Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.  I guess I had the wrong impression of it before purchase.  Maybe if I had played Xcom, I would have had a better idea what it was going to be like before hand. I thought it was going to be more like FF tactics, but it was so watered down.  It was boring to me, I played 3/4 through and sold it. 

4 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a once and done kind of game for me.  Beat it, didn't 100% get every item and moon.  Most likely won't be playing it again. 

I did not enjoy Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.  I guess I had the wrong impression of it before purchase.  Maybe if I had played Xcom, I would have had a better idea what it was going to be like before hand. I thought it was going to be more like FF tactics, but it was so watered down.  It was boring to me, I played 3/4 through and sold it. 

I don't think playing XCOM would have helped. In fact, I was initially let down by Mario + Rabbids BECAUSE I wanted it to be Mario XCOM so badly. Instead, it's a much simpler take on the genre. I actually have a better appreciation for M+R now that I've removed that expectation from it.

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

I got one of my own.

Bioshock Infinite

I guess backlash has sort of caught up with it over the years, and it's a lot more popular to criticize it now than it was right when it came out, and everyone for some reason considered it infallible, with a like 97 metacritic score or something.

It's not just overrated, it's really bad.
I loved the first Bioshock game, but Infinite is just painful. The gameplay is convoluted, unfair and just plain not fun. The balance between shooting and worldbuilding is extremely terribly paced, and the game is annoyingly pretentious for such a dumb plot. It had some interesting potential with its racism subplot, but ended up tackling it in such a heavy-handed cartoonish way that it becomes completely irrelevant to even have that theme. At least the original Bioshock game doesn't try to pretend it's not just goofy fun.

I guess Infinite is pretty to look at, but despite that it still loses to the much more creative variation of its own predecessor.

Forgot about this one. Yup, have to agree. 

It's not even remotely the same as the original Bioshock in terms of overall quality. Here's a nice video on this

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I don't think playing XCOM would have helped. In fact, I was initially let down by Mario + Rabbids BECAUSE I wanted it to be Mario XCOM so badly. Instead, it's a much simpler take on the genre. I actually have a better appreciation for M+R now that I've removed that expectation from it.

Switch fans hyped this game up. I also played it and got bored. Some were saying online that it was “better than XCOM” because “it’s Nintendo”

55 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

I agree about Odyssey being just okay.  Mario + Rabbids was pretty cool, but it gets repetitive towards the back half when you've figured out the required strategies for each stage type. That being said, I still came away really impressed with how unique of an experience it was.

I never finished Mario Odyssey, got quite far, but it was handing like moons like water and I just got kind of distracted and bored so I guess it has probably sat for a year now.  Bioshock with the first I tried to get into it, the switching between gunning and eve wasn't very intuitive or fun, then other parts grated to the point i recall going as far as some underwater tube tunnels and some old building looking space with these nasty ceiling crawling jumper things and never turned it on again.  Tempted to try once more since I have them on GoG now but I've not done it.

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I never finished Mario Odyssey, got quite far, but it was handing like moons like water and I just got kind of distracted and bored so I guess it has probably sat for a year now.  Bioshock with the first I tried to get into it, the switching between gunning and eve wasn't very intuitive or fun, then other parts grated to the point i recall going as far as some underwater tube tunnels and some old building looking space with these nasty ceiling crawling jumper things and never turned it on again.  Tempted to try once more since I have them on GoG now but I've not done it.

I thought BioShock 2 was significantly more enjoyable than the original specifically because the controls are so much better. Instead of juggling guns and EVE, you use them smoothly together which makes combat a blast.

Here's my list. There might be more, but this is all I can remember not liking despite being told how good they are.

• Bloodbourne
  • Call of Duty
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Castlevania (I prefer Vs. Castlevania)
  • Dark Souls III
  • Doom
  • Final Fantasy II to IV
  • Final Fantasy VI (which I have on Steam)
  • Final Fantasy VIII to X (I like X-2)
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Halo 2-3
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Mortal Kombat 3 to 11
  • Silent Hill
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

2 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Here's my list. There might be more, but this is all I can remember not liking despite being told how good they are.

• Bloodbourne
  • Call of Duty
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Castlevania (I prefer Vs. Castlevania)
  • Dark Souls III
  • Doom
  • Final Fantasy II to IV
  • Final Fantasy VI (which I have on Steam)
  • Final Fantasy VIII to X (I like X-2)
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Halo 2-3
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Mortal Kombat 3 to 11
  • Silent Hill
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

I think that this is an interesting list. I agree with most of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I think that this is an interesting list. I agree with most of them.

Thanks. And to be honest I used to have photos of me just laying down and doing nothing during one boss fight in Dark Souls III. This is one of those times I wish I had them. 😅

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I thought BioShock 2 was significantly more enjoyable than the original specifically because the controls are so much better. Instead of juggling guns and EVE, you use them smoothly together which makes combat a blast.

I may have to dust off the first, see if it aggravates me again, then dump it for the sequel then to see what you mean.  I've also seen that Infinite which I grabbed as well seems to suffer from the common media mill of high rating lies to then have many including the reviewers come back and ding it all over the place a few years later.  So I haven't been all that motivated to take the time out on the franchise.

1 hour ago, MrMark0673 said:

The Oddworld series is trash.

Could not agree more.  I got stuck with a couple of them over the years and it's entirely un-fun and downright grating tolerating it as long as I did.  Why people love it so much is mind blowing.

• Like 1