IGNORED

31-Day Video Game Music Challenge - June 2020

AverageOliver98

I'm joining in on this very late but cool idea and here are my entries so far!

Day 1 - Title Screen - Wave Race 64 - Title Screen

Day 2 - Opening Level - Super Turrican - Stage 1-1

Day 3 - 8-Bit Music - Little Nemo: Dream Master - House of Toys

Day 4 - Console Exclusive Series - LittleBigPlanet - Volver a Comenzar

Day 5 - Overworld  - TMNT (NES) - Overworld

Day 6 - Relaxed Music - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Lurelin Village (Day)

Day 7 - Indie Game Music - Hollow Knight - City of Tears

Day 8 - Music From a Shooter - BioShock - First Encounter / Wandering Around

Day 9 - Music From a Licensed Game - Chip n Dale: Rescue Rangers - Zone D

Day 10 - RPG Battle Music - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 1

Day 11 - Puzzle Game - Tetris Attack - Lakitu's Stage

Day 12 - Sad Music - Final Fantasy IX - You're Not Alone

Day 13 - Music From A Game I Don't Like - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears

Day 14 - Music With Vocals - NiGHTS Into Dreams... - Dream Dreams (Kids Version)

Day 15 - Boss Music - EarthBound - Sanctuary Guardian

Day 16 - 16-Bit Music - Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time

Day 17 - Music You Never Get Tired of - Crash Twinsanity - River Rollerbrawl

Day 18 - Game Over - Mother 3 - Stand Up Strong (Game Over)

Day 19 - Cover Artist - Mii Channel (Otamatone Cover)

Day 20 - Racing Game Music - Cruis'n USA - Deadwood Ride

Day 21 - Associated with Frustration - Dark Souls - Bed of Chaos

Day 22 - Town Music - Final Fantasy VII - Oppressed People

Day 23 - Underrated Music - Donkey Kong Country 2 - Jib Jig

Day 24 - Music You Constantly Have Stuck in Your Head - Super Mario 3D World - Switch Scramble Circus

Day 25 - Music that Gets you Pumped - Super Mario 64 - Slider

Day 26 - Music From a Game I haven't Played - Stubb's the Zombie - Strangers in the Night

Day 27 - Handheld Game -. Golden Sun - Sol Sanctum

Day 28 - Nostalgic Music - Pilotwings - Flight Club

Day 29 - Final Battle - Super Mario RPG - Battle Against Smithy

Day 30 - Credits Theme - Mario Kart 64 - Ending Theme

Edited by AstralSoul64
  • Like 4

Yeah, you won't go wrong with Tropical Freeze. Especially if you like the soundtrack, it feels so ingrained into the game like nothing I have ever seen in video games outside the likes of Rez etc. The tracks will progress and evolve as you move through the stage, mimicking what happens, and occasionally visible objects or obstacles contribute to the structure of the song.
There's a handful of really excellent remakes of classic tracks from the first two DKC games too. Just enough to feel like a blissful reunion, without becoming pandering.

Oh, and though it's probably one of the "worst" songs on the soundtrack, how about a completely out-of-the-blue homage to One Winged Angel during one of the boss fights 😛 

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, you won't go wrong with Tropical Freeze. Especially if you like the soundtrack, it feels so ingrained into the game like nothing I have ever seen in video games outside the likes of Rez etc. The tracks will progress and evolve as you move through the stage, mimicking what happens, and occasionally visible objects or obstacles contribute to the structure of the song.
There's a handful of really excellent remakes of classic tracks from the first two DKC games too. Just enough to feel like a blissful reunion, without becoming pandering.

Oh, and though it's probably one of the "worst" songs on the soundtrack, how about a completely out-of-the-blue homage to One Winged Angel during one of the boss fights 😛 

That sounds amazing.  It's even harder to do that kind of trick when the gameplay is unscripted (Rez had it easier).

• Like 1

222912811_Day20Bump.thumb.png.581b5a7443cafbd60f9269948bb4f1f7.png

Two questions:

1 - Would anybody be interested in a Day 31 that would be taking songs from the other participants here and making them into a "personal favorites of the 30 Day VGM Challenge" list? The only rule for that would be if someone else picked a song that you had on your own list, you shouldn't use it on the new list. (I'm planning on doing this regardless, thanks to 'Zelda Freak' for the idea)

2- Would there be interest in doing another 30-Day VGM Challenge in September or October? 

• Like 4

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

Two questions:

1 - Would anybody be interested in a Day 31 that would be taking songs from the other participants here and making them into a "personal favorites of the 30 Day VGM Challenge" list? The only rule for that would be if someone else picked a song that you had on your own list, you shouldn't use it on the new list. (I'm planning on doing this regardless, thanks to 'Zelda Freak' for the idea)

2- Would there be interest in doing another 30-Day VGM Challenge in September or October? 

Absolutely and absolutely would be my answers to both questions. This has been really fun so far, and I'd love to participate in more of these. Maybe part of the challenge could be that you can't use songs you've used in previous 30-Day VGM Challenges?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

Two questions:

Yes on both. I'd also be interested in making some alterations to some of the days if that's an option.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

Two questions:

Yes and yes!  This has been tons of fun and would be awesome to do again.  I love gaming music and threads like this make me glad to see I'm not the only one.

• Like 4

1772218758_Day21Bump.thumb.png.26fc728edb4555af28891ea9ea7233cd.png

So I'll add Day 31 and its rules onto the original post.

And as for a second 30(31) Day VGM Challenge, I'm currently planning on doing it in October(unless someone else wants to make Bumpers or are fine with reusing some of the ones used here). Some changes that should probably be made include adding/changing some of the 'difficulty options/rules' as well as changing some of the days(potential idea: Music that Unsettles You/Creeps You Out). In fact, the only days I think that should be forced to stay the same are Title Screen, 8-Bit(move it from Day 3 to 8), Boss Battle16-BitFinal Boss, and Credits. Anything else can be chosen to be replaced(so long as you have a replacement idea in mind), unless you think it should remain(in which case, speak up).

Until I finish my Day 31 list(which will start after I finish the bumpers/banners), I'm not going to be thinking too much about Month #2 in general, so feel free to get a head start without me.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

And as for a second 30(31) Day VGM Challenge, I'm currently planning on doing it in October(unless someone else wants to make Bumpers or are fine with reusing some of the ones used here). Some changes that should probably be made include adding/changing some of the 'difficulty options/rules' as well as changing some of the days(potential idea: Music that Unsettles You/Creeps You Out). In fact, the only days I think that should be forced to stay the same are Title Screen, 8-Bit(move it from Day 3 to 8), Boss Battle16-BitFinal Boss, and Credits. Anything else can be chosen to be replaced(so long as you have a replacement idea in mind), unless you think it should remain(in which case, speak up).

I think maybe having 32-bit and/or 64-bit days might be kind of cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AverageOliver98 said:

And as for a second 30(31) Day VGM Challenge, I'm currently planning on doing it in October(unless someone else wants to make Bumpers or are fine with reusing some of the ones used here). Some changes that should probably be made include adding/changing some of the 'difficulty options/rules' as well as changing some of the days(potential idea: Music that Unsettles You/Creeps You Out). In fact, the only days I think that should be forced to stay the same are Title Screen, 8-Bit(move it from Day 3 to 8), Boss Battle16-BitFinal Boss, and Credits. Anything else can be chosen to be replaced(so long as you have a replacement idea in mind), unless you think it should remain(in which case, speak up)

I was also  thinking about a "spooky music" day (fun idea for October), also an underwater day, educational game...

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I was also  thinking about a "spooky music" day (fun idea for October), also an underwater day, educational game...

I like those ideas as well, especially having certain days be holiday themed depending on the time of year. Educational game is gonna be rough for me, I don't know anything about that genre, much less the soundtracks to games in said genre 😆

• Like 1

Finally able to catch up after a busy weekend. I have to apologize for Day 19 though...

I would definitely do this another month as well. Once this week is over, I'll start thinking of some other categories.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:27 AM, ZeldaFreak said:

Day 21: (Frustration) | Mappy In-Game Theme - Mappy
I played Mappy during VGS Survivor. Never again.

...I can... I can still hear the music echoing in my nightmares...

Hehe. I had a feeling this was coming. 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:34 PM, rdrunner said:

Day 21 Frustration: Mario Kart Double Dash (GameCube), Baby Park - Just to prove I'm not a Mario Kart hater, I actually own 3 games in the series, including this one (original and 8 are the others).  I have a love/hate relationship with Baby Park though.  7 laps around a tiny track with 16 characters chucking items around is funny at first, until you try it on 150cc, with the cheating AI on full attack mode.  Makes for one big demolition derby.

I have an irrational love for Baby Park and I don't know why.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
On 6/2/2020 at 12:14 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

(In retrospect, I probably went a bit overboard, sorry.)

Yeah, that's why I just included some of my favorite artists and just a couple examples of some of my favorite covers they've done, if I included every single cover I liked from them, I'd probably have a list longer than everyone else's combined 😛

On 6/2/2020 at 12:14 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Other: Classic Video Games Medley - VGOScore (I'll be honest the main reason I'm including this one is to @ZeldaFreak and tell him to at least listen to 1:47)

tenor.gif

• Like 2