IGNORED

31-Day Video Game Music Challenge - June 2020

AverageOliver98

I watched Game Sack's most recent episode(5/30/2020) and thought that this challenge would be fun to do here.

backup.thumb.png.a22b9ebd8e8b5a585de0013477544882.png

DAY 31 - Create a New List(on a separate post) made up of entries from the other participants' lists. The only rule will be that if you have the same track/song that appears on someone else's original list, you won't be able to put it on your new list.(ex: I couldn't use 'Stage 1-1' of Alisia Dragoon even though "ookii_risu" has it on his list)

GUIDELINES/RULES

• Because it's conveniently a 30 31 day month(July 1st is now officially June 31st), just correspond the current day of June with the matching day up above. (ex:June 5th is Day 5)
  • If its already June 2nd where you live or didn't find out about this until the middle of the month, just fill in the dates previously passed and join in the fun.
  • To avoid too many posts(and to keep the lists organized), I suggest that you keep editing your Day 1 post and just keep making it longer as the month goes on. 
    • (DAY 31 IS THE EXCEPTION)
  • Also, to avoid light year long posts, if you plan on linking videos for each music track, make sure they are text links and not the regular in-thread videos.
  • Please mention which difficulty you wish to use:
    • Normal - You are allowed to pick multiple tracks from the same game.
    • Hard - You are not allowed to pick multiple tracks from the same game. You can still pick tracks from other games in the same series.
    • Maniac - One track per series only. Anyone choosing this... Good Luck!
  • Starting June 4th, a bump post will be posted daily to prevent the thread from falling too far back. If I do not post one by 9:00 am VGS Time, anyone else may do so.
    • Thanks to 'Aguy' and 'ookii_risu' for bringing this problem to my attention and thanks to 'spacepup' for the solution.
  • If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

And with that, let the fun begin!

My 30 Day VGM Challenge List - Hard Difficulty

Day 1(Title Screen) - Hebereke/U-Fouria: The Saga - "Title Screen" - Famicom/NES - 1991

Day 2(Opening Level) - Alisia Dragoon - "Stage 1-1" - Genesis - 1992

Day 3(8-Bit) - Mega Man 6 - "Flame Man" - NES - 1993

Day 4(Console Exclusive Series) - Kirby's Dreamland 3 - "Sand Canyon 1" - SNES - 1997

Day 5(Hub/Overworld) - Chrono Cross - "On the Beach of Dreams - Another World" - PS1 - 1999

Day 6(Relaxing) - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - "Face Shrine" - Switch - 2019

Day 7(Indie Game) - The Messenger - "Quillshroom's Horrors" - Various - 2018

Day 8(Shooter) - Gleylancer - "Stage 2(Purple Sea)" - Mega Drive - 1992

Day 9(Licensed Game) - Alien 3 - "Title Screen" - NES - 1993

Day 10(RPG Battle) - Super Paper Mario - "It's Showtime" - Wii - 2007

Day 11(Puzzle Game) - Spin Jam - "Theme 2" - PS1 - 2000

Day 12(Sad) - Mother 3 - "It's Over" - GBA - 2006

Day 13(Game You Don't Like) - Ikaruga - "Butsutekkai" - Arcade - 2001

Day 14(Music with Vocals) - Katamari Damacy - "Que Sera Sera" - PS2 - 2004

Day 15(Boss Battle) - Sonic 3 - "Act 2 Boss" - Genesis - 1994

Day 16(16-Bit) - Mega Man X2 - "Crystal Snail" - SNES - 1994

Day 17(Never Tiring) - Thunder Force IV - "Metal Squad" - Genesis - 1992

Day 18(Game Over) - Deltarune - "Darkness Falls" - Various - 2018

Day 19(Arranged/Remixed) - Hyper Duel - "Cosmo Babylon" - Arcade - 1993 - Arranged by Justin Bailey  (Original by Hyakutaro Tsukumo)

Day 20(Racing Game) - Mario Kart 8 - "Big Blue" - Wii U - 2014

Day 21(Frustration) - Mega Man 11 - "Torch Man" - Various - 2018

Day 22(Town/Village) - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Rito Village" - Wii U/Switch - 2017

Day 23(Underrated) - Thunder Force V - "Cyber Cave" - Saturn - 1997

Day 24(Stuck in Head) - Thunder Force III - "Hunger Made Them Desperate" - Genesis - 1990

Day 25(Gets You PUMPED) - Freedom Planet - "Final Dreadnought 1" - Various - 2014

Day 26(Game You Never Played) - Perfect Cherry Blossom - "Necrofantasia" - PC - 2003

Day 27(Handheld) - Parasol Stars - "Boss" - Game Boy - 1991

Day 28(Nostalgic) - Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - "Title Screen" - NES - 1990

Day 29(Final Boss) - Octopath Traveler - "Battle at Journey's End" - Switch - 2018 (Better Matching Intro Here)

Day 30(Credits) - Mega Man IV - "Ending Theme 2" - Game Boy - 1993

Edited by AverageOliver98
  • Like 5

This sounds like fun. I want to try hard mode, but I know I would hate myself if I wasted a game early, so I might have gone ahead a mapped out most of the month. Maybe that's cheating, but IDC. Also, because I can't help myself, I might have several honorable mentions. Be prepared for Zelda, and Nintendo games in general, to show up a lot.

Day 1 (Title music): Title Theme - Mega Man 3I don't like the rest of mega man 3's ost as much as 2 but I think the title music is slightly better than 2's title music. Honorable mention: Title Theme - Zelda IIThe Legendary Hero - Wind Waker (it's technically the opening cutscene but I like it better than the actual title screen music), Main Theme - Shovel KnightTitle Screen - Super Mario 3D World

Day 2 (Opening level): Outset Island - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, more of an opening area but I think it still fits the spirit of the category. Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games and Outset Island has the perfect music to match the start of that game. Honorable mention: Super Bell Hill - Super Mario 3D WorldPolaroid - Vib-Ribbon (not sure what made me think of this one since I've never played it. Tutorial music is also really good), Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage) - Shovel KnightDoom - At Doom's Gate (might reappear later this month), Area 1 - Blaster MasterStage 1 - Batman (NES) (might reappear as well)

Day 3 (8-bit): Title - Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (C64), I know I originally picked Monty on the Run but after relistening to (and watching) Tim Follin's Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, I knew I had to change my pick. It's crazy how many different sounds Tim Follin managed to squeeze out of an 8-bit machine (a comment on the full OST listed 29 of them) and yet somehow it still feels like a cohesive piece that matches the games theme perfectly. Just watching the oscilloscope view is extremely entertaining in itself. Monty on the Run (C64)8-bit is a very wide category of music I listen too. So, I thought I chose something from the Commodore 64 to mix things up. Honorable mention: The Moon - DuckTales (will definitely be showing up elsewhere), Bloody Tears - Castlevania 2: Simon's QuestDr. Wily Stage 1 - Mega Man 2, and a million other songs

Day 4 (Console Exclusive): Reset (Thank you) - ŌkamiI was planning on picking a Zelda song for this category, but looking at the rest of the list, it's already going to be featured quite heavily. Instead, I thought I'd chose something from a completely different series that has nothing in common with Zelda, Okami... Ok fine, it's basically just Capcom's take on Zelda, but the music at least is quite different. Anyway, ever since Reset plays at the end of the game, I've thought that it was a brilliant song. Honorable mention: Oh course we also have Mario so here's a few of those, Sprixie Kingdom - Super Mario 3D WorldWorld Bowser - Super Mario 3D WorldSteam Gardens - Super Mario OdysseyGusty Garden Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy, and of course dozens of Zelda songs that I'll be featuring elsewhere

Day 5 (Hub/Overworld): Overworld - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)I really tried to pick something that wasn't Zelda (which now I feel especially called out by ZeldaFreak, lol), but I couldn't find anything I like nearly as much. I know there's a bunch of decent ones for RPGs but I don't play a whole lot of those. Anyway, I haven't actually played the switch version of Link's Awakening yet, but I have listened to the soundtrack and found it very charming especially in it's instrumentation. Honorable mention: Hyrule Field - Twilight Princess (this might be my actual favorite, but I'm saving TP), Overworld - The Legend of Zelda (the classic), Delfino Plaza - Super Mario Sunshine (I thought of one I liked from a different series at least! But I guess picking Mario is just slightly less obvious. Also I'm planning SMS for another category)

Day 6 (Relaxed): Rosalina in the Observatory 3 - Super Mario Galaxy, I generally don't really care for the more relaxing/ambient music when listening through soundtracks. I feel they work well in game, but usually I'm not compelled to listen to these tracks outside of the game. As such, I couldn't really find a whole lot in my library that I would consider relaxing. However, not only do I love listening to Rosalina in the Observatory 3, but I do think it fits the category pretty well. Honorable mention: Tarrey Town (All versions) - Breath of the Wild (another very relaxing song that I enjoy, but I'm saving BotW), Shop - Undertale (the first of probably many Undertale honorable mentions, there are probably more relaxing Undertale songs but this is one that I enjoyed enough to put in my library)

Day 7 (Indie): Pushing Onwards - VVVVVVfor me this category is just as wide as the 8-bit day. I play a decent amount of them (although I have a ton in my backlog) and most all of them seem to have great music. For whatever reason I decided to go with an older one (it recently celebrated it's 10 anniversary with the release of it's source code!). I thought this song was by far the best of the soundtrack and regularly listen to it. Honorable mention: Mother's Lullaby - Pikuniku (a fun less well known game), Precipice - Steamworld Dig 2, shout outs to Disasterpeace (Fez, Hyper Light Drifter, etc.) who's music is fantastic in game but I've never quite liked to listen to out of game, several games that I'll be featuring in other categories (Undertale, Deltarune, Shovel Knight, Celeste), several games in my backlog that I know have good music but am staying away from the soundtrack until I play them (Cuphead, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Cadence of Hyrule, etc.), and finally the elephant in the room... The Messenger.

An aside: I really like The Messenger's soundtrack. It's the only game I can think of where I have the entire OST in my VGM playlist (usually I just pick and choose the best tracks). However, I just couldn't find a category to work it in. Day 7 probably would have been the best one but I really like Pushing Onwards too. I think the main reason for this is no single track really stands out to me as my favorite (although I was considering picking Into the Depths). All in all, I'm really sad that I wasn't able to find a day for it, but I'm at least glad that someone else picked it for this day (Quillshroom's Horrors is another great pick that I was considering).

Day 8 (Shooter): At Doom's Gate (E1M1) - Doom, shooters are probably my least favorite genre (everything from shmups to fps), so I don't really have much experience to draw from. The only one I can think of playing with good music is the obvious one, Doom. What else can I say? It's a kickass track. Honorable mention: Sweet Little Dead Bunny - Doom (I actually really like the bunny song at the end of the game too), and I've run out of songs I could think of.

Day 9 (Licensed): Stage 1 - Batman (NES)I don't have much to say for this one. Just a really good song from a licensed game. Honorable mention: The Moon - DuckTales (again I'm saving it for another category, also I didn't think of this being licensed at first probably because I am too young for the cartoon), Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Mushroom Forest (thanks to ookii_risu for reminding me of this game, I meant to look up if it was licensed but forgot)

Day 10 (RPG battle): Rude Buster - Deltarune, like I said on day 5, I haven't played that many RPGs, so I don't have a whole lot to chose from. Rude Buster isn't up there with my favorite songs from that game, but it's still pretty good. And it's the best battle music I could think of for a game I'm not planning on using elsewhere. Honorable mention: Enemy Approaching - Undertale (I like this a bit better than Rude Buster, but again, saving Undertale), Battle Theme - Zelda II (I mean, Zelda II is pretty much an RPG. It even has xp), Battle Scene - Final Fantasy (I played through this for the first time recently, although picking this just made me remember that I didn't learn you could speed up the text until the homestretch of the game 🤦‍♂️. The battles got so much faster)

Day 11 (Puzzle game): A-Type (Korobeiniki) - Tetris (GB), and here's the obvious choice, although I really do love it. As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that most of the Russian music I can think of (mostly classical, but some other folk tunes) I do enjoy, so that may play a part. Plus, I'm sure the game being really good probably helps a bit. For the amount of puzzle games I play though, I usually don't may much attention to the music. So, I couldn't think of as many other songs as I feel I should have (probably just a bunch I'm forgetting about). Honorable mention: Music-1 (Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies) - Tetris (NES) (or course I like Tchaikovsky too), Fever and Chill - Dr. Mario, Still Alive - PortalCara Mia Addio - Portal 2

Day 12 (Sad): Ending - Splatterhouse (Arcade), I did not know basically anything about this game until very recently (I still haven't played it, but now I want to) when I heard a cover of it (which is great and you should listen to as well). Most of the soundtrack for this game is more along the lines of intense horror. But the ending track subverts this with a very subtle, haunting tune with a melody taken from when you meet Jennifer (see the plot for more context). Honorable mention: Midna's Lament - Twilight Princess (I used to like this song more but listening to it again it feels pretty static and not very expressive as I would want it to be), Kamiki Village's Sorrowful Custom - ŌkamiGrandma's Theme - Wind Waker (this one isn't as depressing as the others at least, but it's still sad to say bye to your grandma or see her sick)

Day 13 (Disliked): Harlequin Bazaar (Entrance) - Link: The Faces of Evil, I'll be honest I've never played this game, but it's famous for being a very bad game yet still has decent music. It really takes a lot to get me to dislike a game. I'll put up with a lot boring gameplay just for the sake of beating the game without thinking too harshly about it. So, I went through the few games I could think of that I do dislike and none of the music was good. So, I started looking up good music from bad games and found Link: The Faces of Evil. Honorable mention: Boss Battle - Star Force (I don't like shooters but I haven't played a whole lot. The only reason I played this one was the NES weekly contest. The tune is ok but not the most interesting since it's pretty repetitive), At Doom's Gate (E1M1) - Doom (again I don't like shooters, but Doom wasn't that bad to play. I mostly only mention it because the song is so good compared to what I think of the gameplay)

Day 14 (Vocals): Cara Mia Addio - Portal 2, this has been the hardest category to choose for so far which I really didn't expect. I normally prefer instrumental music to vocal, but the few vocal video game songs I listen to are all amazing. Eventually, I narrowed it down to two: the operatic Cara Mia Addio, and the jazzy Jump Up, Super Star! - Super Mario Odyssey. Outside of video games, I listen to fair amount of jazz, so Jump Up, Super Star! is right up my alley (plus it's Mario). But, I also listen to the occasional opera song and Cara Mia Addio is such a great song at the end of one of my favorite games. It was a very tough choice, but what it came down to is I though it's more likely that someone else will pick Jump Up, Super Star!, so I might as well pick something different. Not the best reason, but both of these songs are fantastic. Honorable mention: Still Alive - Portal (of course the song from the first portal is good as well), Reset - Okami (I picked the instrumental version on Day 4 so I figure I should mention the vocal version as well), Don't Forget - DeltaruneThe Phantom of the Bwahpera (Act 1-3) - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (this was another I was heavily considering. There's just something so good with how Ubisoft disses Mario in this song. Also, the cutscenes that this song plays in are fun to watch but that video has worse audio quality and doesn't have act 2)

Day 15 (Boss): The Schemer - Shovel Knight, as much as I like Zelda music, I usually don't care much for the boss music. But Shovel Knight music is awesome in its own right, and The Schemer is my favorite boss music. You don't hear it long in game unfortunately since it only plays during the first, joke phase of the boss. Honorable mention: All of the Boss Themes - Undertale (They all are amazing and many I would pick over The Schemer, but I'm still saving Undertale. Some callouts to the bosses I like the most: Bonetrousle (Papyrus)Dummy! (Mad Dummy)Spider Dance (Muffet)), THE WORLD REVOLVING - Deltarune (of course Deltarune has good boss music too), All of the Boss Themes - The Messenger (I couldn't narrow it down, so here's all of them (unfortunately with sfx)), Molduga Battle - Breath of the Wild (the one Zelda Boss track that I regularly listen to)

Day 16 (16-bit): Terra's Theme - Final Fantasy VII have a bit of a confession to make, I have not played that many 16-bit games. Being fairly young, I started gaming after that era, and I haven't spent the time yet to go back and play the games that interest me like I have done with 8-bit games. So, I went through several best SNES music and best Genesis music playlists, and like Terra's Theme the most of what I heard (which I had heard before). Honorable mention: Aria di Mezzo Carattere - Final Fantasy VI (I really like the melody, but I do not like the sample they used for the voice), Guile's Theme - Street Fighter IIThe Dark World - A Link to the Past (and the one SNES game I own and played to completion... That is if you count the fact that the one I played was the GBA port and the one I own (besides the GBA Four Swords cart) is the SFC version (and no I don't own a SFC). I really need to start playing other 16-bit games)

Day 17 (Never tire): Kass' Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I didn't really know where to go with this one. But, listening to Kass' Theme brought back memories. When I was playing through BotW, I found the Kass spot in the middle of the ocean and just stopped playing the game to listen to the music. I can't recall doing this in any other game. Honorable mention: Ending - The Legend of ZeldaWindmill Hut - Ocarina Of Time (another two Zelda favorites), World Bowser - Super Mario 3D World (a Mario to match), Dummy! (Mad Dummy) - Undertale (and an Undertale for good measure)

Day 18 (Game over): Ending Theme - The Legend of Zelda, ... ok, I admit this is a massive cheat. This is technically the credits music that plays at the end (but it could be argued that the ending is just a different type of game over 🙃), however I already have something else I want to pick for the credits music category. Here's the real Game Over music from Zelda 1. You'll notice that it's the same melody, just the ending theme arrangement is much better. Honorable mention: I'm probably missing a bunch, but I could find anything else I liked. It was mostly just short ~5 second jingles

Day 19 (Cover): Spirit of Hospitality (From "Celeste") - The Game Brass, and I thought 8-bit and indie games were wide categories. For me, I probably have more cover songs in my VGM library than original songs. So, when it came down to choosing a song, I first narrowed it down by artist. As a French horn player, I really like brass music. Therefore, my favorite video game cover band would have to be The Game Brass, a brass quintet (although they add in other instruments in a lot of there songs too). They are the ones who did that Splatterhouse cover I mentioned on day 12. But, even with the artist pick they have so many songs I like. I ended up choosing Spirit of Hospitality because I haven't featured a Celeste song yet, and that tuba cadenza at the end is just stunning. Honestly, this probably is not the best song of theirs to listen to since most of them aren't quite as orchestral as this one is (also many other of their songs have visual component too). So, even if you don't like this song, I would suggest to go through their other songs and listen to ones that you like the source music. Honorable mention: Since I have so many I'm going to go all out like ZeldaFreak and separate by artist. (In retrospect, I probably went a bit overboard, sorry. Although I at least didn't include any Megalovania covers since literally everyone has one of those. Try at least listening to the first song for each artists since I've put my favorite first)

More from The Game Brass: Zelda: Majora's Mask "Pirates' Fortress" (from Materia Collective's FATE) (this was the first song of theirs that I heard), Deltarune "The Legend", Grim Fandango Suite (feat. Mariachi Entertainment System)Final Fantasy VI "Phantom Train"Mega Man 1 "Ice Man"
The 8-Bit Big Band (Jazz Big Band): Delfino Plaza - Gypsy Jazz Orchestra VersionTetris Theme - Contemporary Big Band/Classical Fusion VersionGerudo Valley - Orchestral Jazz Big Band VersionAthletic Theme from Yoshi's Island - Big Band Jazz Version
Bulby (8-bit Remixes): World Bowser 8 Bit Remix - Super Mario 3D WorldGhost Fight 8 Bit Remix - UndertaleSteam Gardens 8 Bit Remix - Super Mario OdysseySuper Smash Bros. Ultimate Menu 8 Bit Remix
ConSoul (Latin Jazz): Guiles Theme (from "street fighter 2")Legend of Zelda Intro Live! (There is a non-live version on Youtube but I don't like it as much)
Mart0zz (3 Dudes on a Marimba (and some other instruments) who put out one song a year for the last 10 years, mostly Zelda): Zelda Twilight Princess - Hyrule Field on Marimba (probably why TP Hyrule Field is my favorite Hyrule Field), Zelda Breath of the Wild - Main Theme on Marimba
Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra (SCORE) (Orchestral): Megaman SuiteThe Legend of Zelda SuiteSuper Mario Suite (The holy trinity)
Japan Game Music Orchestra (JAGMO) (Orchestral): Megaman 2 & 3 SuiteThe Legend of Zelda SuiteSuper Mario World / Super Mario 64 Suite (The holy trinity returns, lol), Undertale Suite (SCORE probably would have an Undertale Suite too but I think it was before Undertale came out)
OverClocked ReMix (Various Artists): Vampire Killer "Wicked Chip" - Erik Vreven, JoritoCastlevania "Fleaman's Groove" - NostalvaniaShovel Knight "Catch Me" - RoeTaKaSuper Mario 64 "Frosty Britches" - LongBoxofChocolateSuper Mario Bros. "Bros with Dix" - NaseTetris "Linear Groove" - Ben BriggsTetris "The Peddler's Legacy" - VurezZelda II "Thelonius Temple" - MCLink's Awakening "Dreams of Home" - Chris ~ Amaterasu, waltzforlumaLink's Awakening "Face Your Nightmares" - LemonectricOcarina of Time "Soggy Carousel" - worldsbestgrandpaOcarina of Time "The Guru" - Wiesty, The OC Jazz CollectiveThe Wind Waker "First Time on Outset" - halc (sorry, this was the best I could cut down OCR to, I have nearly 100 or their songs in my library)
Materia Collective (Various Artists): Dummy! (Undertale) - Thomas Kresge (particularly good one with some of the people from The Game Brass), Village of Shadows (Ocarina of Time) - Eric BuchholzLost Souls (Zelda - TP and MM) - Sam DillardTermina's Last Hope (Majora's Mask) - Fredrik HäthénFallen Down (Undertale) - Jackson Alexander Parodi
Other: Classic Video Games Medley - VGOScore (I'll be honest the main reason I'm including this one is to @ZeldaFreak and tell him to at least listen to 1:47), Tetris / Korobeiniki - Fast Ragtime

Day 20 (Racing): Dolphin Shoals - Mario Kart 8, yep another Mario Kart 8 song. I don't really play any other racing games besides Mario Kart and 8 has the best music of the series. Dolphin Shoals is my favorite though, and I'm surprised no one had mentioned it yet. Honorable mention: Main Theme - Mario Kart 8 (my second favorite and I'm also surprised hasn't been mentioned. That bass intro solo)

Day 21 (Frustration): Trainer Battle - Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow, I like to play a lot of really challenging games, but I rarely feel like I'm frustrated by them (although maybe Sumez is right that I'm just lying to myself until, I get past what I'm stuck on then forget the frustration). Either way, I couldn't think of any music that made me feel frustrated until I remembered this one. While I've beaten several of the Pokemon games (Emerald, Crystal, and Y, I think), I've never really enjoyed the games that much. That combined with the fact the song is the feeling of anxiety turned into a music, makes this my top (and only) pick.

Day 22 (Town/Village): Town Theme - Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, probably not my actual favorite, but a good one nonetheless. Honorable mention: Tarrey Town - Breath of the Wild (my favorite town theme from BotW, I really love how it develops as more people move to the town), No Weapons Here - Shovel Knight

Day 23 (Underrated): Two Worlds Collide - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Mario+Rabbids has really good music by Grant Kirkhope that I never hear people talk about. Occasionally I'll hear mention of The Phantom of the Bwahpera which I gave an honorable mention in the vocal category. But most people (me included) like this song for it's gimmick, whereas the full OST has a lot of depth. Honorable mention: Hoppers! - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom BattleSpooky Skirmish - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (two more great songs from Mario+Rabbids), High Score - Eliminator (to be honest this might be more obscure than underrated, but I don't know enough about C64 games to say for sure. I will say that I was unable to find an oscilloscope view version which is unusual for good C64 songs. There was one for the Title Theme and In-Game Theme, but I like the high score theme better), Hidden Village - Twilight PrincessGreat Palace - Zelda II (These two are both Zelda songs so they are not that underrated. But for being Zelda songs I really like, I don't hear them mentioned often)

Day 24 (Earworm): Windmill Hut - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, based on my familiarity with Zelda songs, it's just impossible that anything else could beat it in the earworm category. Honorable mention: (Warning: more Zelda incoming) Lost Woods - Ocarina Of TimeGerudo Valley - Ocarina Of TimeOverworld - The Legend of ZeldaOverworld - Super Mario Bros (and a Mario for good measure)

Day 25 (Pump Up): Don't Want You No More (Orchestra Piece #1) - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, nothing can beat that feeling at 0:53. Seriously, if you don't know what this is listen to it right now, it gives me chills every time I listen to it. It's definitely one of my favorite Zelda tracks and come to think of it, probably also belongs in the underrated category since I never hear anyone else talk about it. I used to think that this music only came from the trailer, but I just found out that it plays if you idle on the title screen for 1.5 minutes (although I think it's not in the HD version). Honorable mention: Bloody Tears - Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (The only other thing I could think of that even comes close)

Day 26 (Haven't Played): The Moon - DuckTales, so a great number of games I've mentioned I haven't played before. I picked DuckTales for two reasons. First, I can't believe I still haven't played this game since it's right up my alley of games I would enjoy. Second, it's an amazing piece, so why have I still not played it. Honorable mention: Monty on the Run (I haven't played any C64 games, so any of the other ones I have mentioned previously qualify too)

Day 27 (Handheld): Link and Marin's Song (Ballad Of The Wind Fish) - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, I pretty much only thought of Gameboy songs for this category. Of the three I liked the most, I've already used one, and I'm still planning to use one in the future. That leaves my favorite song from Link's Awakening. Honorable mention: A-Type (Korobeiniki) - Tetris (GB), and that one that I'm planning using in the future which I want to keep a surprise (it's probably not too hard to guess based on the categories)

Day 28 (Nostalgic): Ricco Harbor - Super Mario Sunshine, Gamecube wasn't my first console, but it's the one that I first really got into gaming with and therefore the one I'm most nostalgic for. As a kid, one of my favorite games was SMS, so with spending a lot of time at Ricco Harbor that's the track I'm most nostalgic for. Honorable mention: Inside the Pirate Ship - Wind Waker (is right out there with Ricco Harbor, but I've already used WW)

Day 29 (Final Boss): Megalovania - Undertale, and the moment I was saving Undertale for. It might be a bit overrated considering how everyone and their mother talks about it, but it is still my favorite song from Undertale. Honorable mention: Phantom of Yore - The Messenger

Day 30 (Credits Music): Ending Theme - Super Mario Land, there are so many good credits theme out there, so this was a tough choice. But there's something about the ending theme to SML that sticks with me so much. Honorable mention: The Credits Roll - Super Mario 3D WorldEnding Theme - The Legend of ZeldaEnding Theme - Mega Man

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 7

Day 1 (Title Screen) - Mega Man II (NES)

I do love the Dragon Quest overture, but everyone knows this track is a banger. Plus I love the soft opening juxtaposed against the Rockin'.

Day 2 (Opening Level) - Castlevania Stage 1 - Vampire Killer (NES)

Lots of good options (I image that will be a running theme), but this track sets the perfect tone for this spooky action packed game.

Day 3 (8-bit) - DuckTales - Moon Stage (NES)

I reckon most of my picks will be 8-bit (NES/GB/GBC), but this track will always be a highpoint in videogame history.

Day 4 (Console Exclusive) - Aerostar - Stage 3 (GB)

Since handhelds are acceptable, I'm going more obscure and picking Aerostar. It's a Vic Tokai vertical shooter that has never been available outside of it's original 1991 release. I love the chunky bass line, sounds like it could come right out of Beverly Hills Cop.

Day 5 (Hub/Overworked) - Dragon Quest V - Ocean (PS2)

I picked the PS2 port for the orchestral soundtrack, but this maybe my favorite arrangements from any DQ game. 

Day 6 (Relaxing) - Endless Ocean: Blue World - Island of Inisfree (Wii)

This whole soundtrack is basically like being in a health spa, but this one is my favorite. Special shout-out to Relaxing Dragon Quest Music Compilation I and II, which are my go to playlist when cleaning the house.

Day 7 (Indie) - Undertale - Megalovania (Various)

Most of this OST is great, along with an honorable mention to Stardew Valley and Shovel Knight, among others.

Day 8 (Shooter) - Metroid - Prologue (NES)

Again, this song fits the mood of the game so good, plus the time signature changes throughout really gives it that unstable feeling of being alone and outnumbered on an alien planet.

Day 9 (Licensed) - The Smurfs Nightmare - The Bottomless Well (GBC)

Awesome track, never played the game until I heard this song onna YT compilation.

Day 10 (RPG Battle) - Skyrim - Dragon Battle

You can't get much more epic than this. Very close second goes to Isaac's Battle Theme from Golden Sun.

Day 11 (Puzzle) - Lumines - Shinin' (PSP)

After years of Tetris on GB then GBC, and then GBA, hearing this on the PSP was so new and cool and made that system really feel like the next generation of handheld gaming.

Day 12 (Sad) - Mother - Mother Earth (FC)

As of the series isn't known enough for being emotional/sentimental/nostalgic/sad, the theme for the first game just sounds so lonesome and wistful. Honorable mention goes to Mipha's Theme from BotW, which sounds like the background music from a movie where a young girl sits in a window crying about lost love as the rain falls outside.

Day 13 (Game I Don't Like) - The Addams Family - House AKA BGM #08 (GB)

This was probably the hardest day to come up with. There aren't many games I bother starting unless I have a good suspicion I'm going to like it. I played this when I was a kid and It's not the kind of game that has aged well, but I find this particular track to be especially good. The arpeggios still sound impressive for the system.

Day 14 (Vocals) - Sonic R - Can You Feel the Sunshine? (Saturn)

Joe on GameSack really nailed it with Dayona USA, so I'm going to go with something similar. This song is just like a time capsule from the mid 90's, it reminds me of being at the mall arcade, they make me think about the good time and they will come back again...

Day 15 (Boss) - Pokemon TCG - Club Master Duel (GBC)

This whole soundtrack is awesome, but this track rips. It opens with that Doctor Who bass line and amps up from there into the stratosphere! For those that have never heard it, you're welcome. The Grand Master Theme is also very cool, and I'd put the Normal Battle Theme right up there with the Moon Stage from DuckTales. And these are all long 2 minute tracks, not 30 second loops.

Day 16 (16 bit) - The Revenge of Shinobi - The Shinobi (GEN)

Too much to choose from, but here's another classic from Yuzo Koshiro.

Day 17 (Not Tire Of) - LoZ: Link's Awakening - Tal Tal Heights (GB)

One of the first games I even owned and still one of a favorites. This song just one highlight from a stellar ost, and this track is still better than the orchestrated NS version.

Day 18 (Game Over) - Total Distortion - You Are Dead (PC)

Been waiting for this one. I've you've never experienced this one, check it out. Saying anything about it would spoil it's majesty.

Day 19 (Cover) Black Mages - Those Who Fight Further (FF VII - PS1)

Tons of options for this category, but this is the kind of cover that makes a great song even better.

Day 20 (Racing) Ridge Racer 4 - Lucid Rhythms (PS1)

I first heard this track as a remix on Step Mania, super cool chillwave kind of jam.

Day 21 (Frustrating) Tetris - Type A (GB)

When I was a kid, I was terrible at Tetris and kind of made me hate the game. Luckily I enjoy it now, but I still have to put Type B on to play.

Day 22 (Village) Chrono Trigger - Guardia Millennial Fair (SNES)

So fun and lighthearted before shit gets real.

Day 23 (Underrated) Action Man: Search for Base X - Cutscene #3 (GBC)

This game came out the month before the GBA released and has a super generic name so it's not a game a lot of people know about. It's a decent platformer but I think the soundtrack is really solid. It was developed by Natsume and the composer, Iku Mizutani, also did the music for Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand on NES among others.

Day 24 (Stuck in Head) Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! - Fight Theme (NES)

Not sure why, but I really do get this song stuck in my head all the time, yet I couldn't tell you the last time I played it.

Day 25 (Pumped) TMNT IV: Turtles in Time - Sewer Surfin' (SNES)

I'm not a huge fan of the SNES sound chip, but this track is too good.

Day 26 (Game I haven't played) Skullmonkeys - Theme (PSX)

This game has been on my want list for years, but I've never pulled the trigger. This song is just as weird and silly as the game itself.

Day 27 (Handhelds) Kirby's Dreamland - Green Greens (GB)

So many to choose from, but this is a classic.

Day 28 (Nostalgic) Street Fighter II - Theme (ARC)

Reminds me of the Dairy Queen by my childhood home. They had this and a Neo Geo 6 slot.

Day 29 (Final Boss) Bravely Default - Serpent Eats the Earth (3DS)

An epic song of epic epicness.

Day 30 (Credits) Super Mario Land - Credits (GB)

It's a great tune at the end of a game I beat so many times as a kid. If you've never heard it, it kicks in at :30.

Edited by Aguy
  • Like 7

On 6/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, AverageOliver98 said:

• To avoid too many posts, I suggest that you keep editing your Day 1 post and just keep making it longer as the month goes on.

The problem with only editing our original posts is the thread will never get bumped or get new contributors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

Y'know what, even though my hands are a bit full with Survivor, I'll participate in this. Sounds like fun, and I do love me some vidya game music.

I'll go ahead and do hard mode so there's at least a bit of challenge.

My 30 Day VGM Challenge List - Hard Difficulty

893ec1a3ccdeb003f50e84238ad63206--zelda-

(Figured I'd add in a little image of my own, inspired by Fox's list 😛)

Day 1: (Title Screen) | Title Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Day 2: (Opening Level) | Beginning VRC6 ver. - Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse)

Day 3: (8-bit) | Dr. Wily Stage 1 - Mega Man 2

Day 4: (Console Exclusive) | Steam Gardens - Super Mario Odyssey

Day 5: (Overworld) | Tropos By Day - Owlboy
Bet you all thought I was gonna choose an overworld theme from one of the Zelda games. Well, think again.

Day 6: (Relaxed) | You Can Always Come Home - Deltarune
I was considering Hip Shop from Deltarune, as that is my go-to relaxing song, but the song I chose gives me that feeling of being at home, which just inherently calms me down. Hip Shop is another great relaxing song, though.

Day 7: (Indie) | Nocturne Of Ice - Stardew Valley
I could've picked any of the tracks from this game honestly, the whole soundtrack is a masterpiece, but this song is one of my personal favorites. Winter is my favorite season, and this song emphasizes everything I love about it.

Day 8: (Shooter) | At Doom's Gate AKA E1M1 - DOOM
Figured I'd go ahead and claim this one before someone else uses it. It may be a bit tonally inconsistent with my other choices, but I mean... c'mon, this is probably the single most iconic song from any shooter ever made. How could I not include it? (Also, it's illegal to spell the word DOOM in anything but all caps when referring to the game series.)

Day 9: (Licensed) | Moon Theme - Ducktales Remastered
This is the only reason I didn't use the Moon Theme on the 8-bit day, because I knew I could use it today instead (And also because I wanted to use the remastered version since I personally prefer it over the original.)

Day 10: (RPG Battle) | Fight Against Smithy - Super Mario RPG
One of the few RPGs I've actually played, although it has been several years since I last played it. I've always loved the music from this game, in fact listening to parts of the soundtrack is what got me to actually played it way back when. Honorable mention to the Final Fantasy IV Boss Battle Theme, I was considering putting it here, but there are other days in the future that I think will suit it better.

Day 11: (Puzzle Game) | Final of Puyo Puyo - Puyo Puyo
Never thought a puzzle game could have music this intense until I heard this track. Easily one of my favorite puzzle game tracks. I like all the remixes of this song that were in the Puyo Puyo games following this one, but I've always just liked the original the best, not sure why. Honorable mention to Track 10 from Puyo Puyo Tetris (My personal favorite version of the classic Tetris theme)

Day 12: (Sad) | Farewell - A Way Out
If you've ever played A Way Out, this song just shoves a dagger straight in to your heart any time you hear it. Highly recommend the game by the way, super underrated. Easily the best co-op experience I've ever had in a game, it was incredibly good. I would've loved to have put in a song from Owlboy, since that's probably one of the saddest games I've ever played, but that was already taken up by the Overworld day, and I figured this would be a good compromise. With that said though, here are a few honorable mentions:
Something Isn't Right with the World - Owlboy
The Truth About Otus - Owlboy (This one is particularly sad if you know the circumstances in which it plays)
You're Both to Blame for This - Owlboy
End Credits - Owlboy (This is probably the one I would've gone with if I hadn't already used Owlboy)

Day 13: (Game I Dislike) | Opening - Super Smash Bros.
This one was really tough for me, as I could probably count on both hands the amount of games I've played that I outright didn't like. I'm generally pretty easy to please when it comes to any entertainment medium, which I am grateful for. I'd rather be easy to please than cynical and miserable. With that said, I looked through the games I played for VGS Survivor, and I remembered that the original Smash Bros. for N64 was one of them. I really like all of the Smash Bros. games that came after the first one, but man... the first one for N64 is just... really not fun to play for me. The controls just don't feel anywhere near as smooth and polished as they did with the following games in the series. I really didn't have a very good time playing it, and because of that, I figured it would be a perfect candidate for this day since it has a very good soundtrack.

Day 14: (Vocals) | We All Lift Together - Warframe
This one was pretty hard for me as I don't know of many songs with vocals, but I managed to think of a couple. I've never actually played Warframe before, but I've heard this song before and I really, really like it. Honorable mentions go to Jump Up, Super Star! from Super Mario Odyssey, and One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII, which is the song I was heavily considering using for this day, but I figured I could squeeze it in to a future day. Also Last Surprise and Life Will Change, both from Persona 5.

Day 15: (Boss Battle) | The Opened Way - Shadow of the Colossus
I mean, how could I not, this game has some of the best boss battle themes of all time. I don't think there's a much better way to mark the halfway point. Honorable mentions to Cleric Beast from Bloodborne, Dance of Illusions from various Castlevania games (this one being my personal favorite version) and literally the entire Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack. If you haven't heard this soundtrack before, you're doing yourself a disservice. Easily one of the best video game OSTs of all time in my opinion.
(Also a bonus shout-out goes to this really cool live rendition of The Opened Way)

Day 16: (16-bit) | Bloodlines AKA Opposing Bloodlines - Castlevania: Dracula X
I felt that this song deserved a spot on my list. Why? Well, I would say this is the song that got me in to video game music in the first place. I've loved Zelda games my whole life, and while they all have terrific soundtracks, I think the Castlevania series is what really got me to appreciate video game music, and this was the first Castlevania game I ever played. I still remember first booting up this game, starting the first level, hearing that awesome guitar in the intro, and realizing I was in for a hell of a time with this game. So, to summarize, the reason I feel this song deserves a spot on the list is that this song was the catalyst to my love for video game music.

Day 17: (Never Tired Of) | Mining Melancholy - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
I mean, there are so many different options I could go with for this day, the possibilities are basically endless. But, I've been looking for an excuse to put in a song from the DKC series, and now seems like the best time. This song is probably my favorite from the entire series, and I'm super nostalgic for it, so honestly this would've been a good fit for the nostalgia day as well, but I've already made plans for that day. While I do obviously love many of the other songs in DKC 2, such as Stickerbrush Symphony, I've always liked this one the best ever since I was a kid. I think it's kind of overlooked compared to some of the other songs on the soundtrack.
I also figured I'd link the restored version of it, made by a guy that goes by the name of Jammin' Sam. Essentially what he does is take all the original samples used in various DKC songs, and reconstructs them from scratch without the SNES's compression. It's the same exact song, just with better audio quality, and by god do the restored versions of these songs sound glorious, I'd highly recommend giving a listen to the other songs he's restored, it's really somethin' else hearing these songs again with sound quality this good.

Day 18: (Game Over) | Game Over - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Pretty self-explanatory I think. Probably one of the saddest game over themes I've ever heard.
Honorable mentions go to the other various game over themes in the Zelda games, the various game over themes in the Castlevania games, Wander's Death from Shadow of the Colossus, and the big one I was very heavily considering using for this day, Determination from Undertale. I was very close to using it, but I kind of liked the sadder approach to a game over theme better, so I went with the Spirit Tracks theme instead.

Day 19: (Cover) | Dancing Mad Symphonic Arrange - Final Fantasy VI | (Original by Nobuo Uematsu)
Probably not the type of thing most people will go with for their lists, but honestly, I just couldn't forgive myself for not including Dancing Mad somewhere on this list. Probably one of my top 3 favorite final boss themes of all time, and the Symphonic Arrange allows it to reach new heights. The original song on SNES is already an absolute masterpiece of course, especially given the limitations of the system, but being able to hear the song like this really does improve the experience in my opinion. This is likely close to how Dancing Mad would've sounded if it was composed for one of the more modern Final Fantasy games, and I absolutely love it.
As for honorable mentions... hoo boy, this one is gonna be a doozy.
PPF's various covers
(Stickerbrush Symphony) (Hot Head Bop) (Mining Melancholy)
Super Soul Bros' various covers
(Flying Battery Zone)
The 8-bit Big Band's various covers
(Spring Yard Zone)
The Second Narrator's various covers
(Field of Hopes and Dreams) (Chaos King) (Tal Tal Heights)
The Noble Demon's various covers
(Dark World) (Death Mountain) (Stone Tower Temple)
Theophany's various covers
(Oath to Order) (Lost Woods) (Deku Palace)
Rozen's various covers
(Astral Observatory) (Clock Town) (Stone Tower Temple)
Gooseworx's various covers (One of my personal favorites, she's extremely talented. Her original songs are great as well)
(Hip Shop) (The World Revolving) (Metal Crusher)

And many, many, many more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I will say that if I had included Dancing Mad on a different day, I probably would have gone with either Theophany's Lost Woods cover, or his Deku Palace cover. They're so entertaining to listen to, and those are two of my personal favorites of his. So, if you want to listen to a few of my honorable mentions but not all of them, listen to those two 😛

Day 20: (Racing) | N64 Rainbow Road - Mario Kart 8
One of my favorite songs in the game, from one of my favorite tracks in the game, which has one of my favorite designs in the game. Not much more to say really, I absolutely adore both this track, and the song accompanying it, even as someone who never played Mario Kart 64. Honorable mentions go to pretty much the entire Mario Kart 8 OST, all the tracks are great, but some of my other personal favorites from the game are:
SNES Rainbow Road, Mute City, Big Blue, Animal Crossing (Summer), Dragon Driftway &
Electrodrome.

Day 21: (Frustration) | Mappy In-Game Theme - Mappy
I played Mappy during VGS Survivor. Never again.

...I can... I can still hear the music echoing in my nightmares...

Day 22: (Village) | Zora's Domain (Day) - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Since Oliver so rudely took my original pick of Rito Village (Day) I figured I might as well go with the next best one. Many of my personal favorite village themes in any game come from Breath of the Wild, this being one of them. I would've loved to have used Dragon Roost Island from Wind Waker HD, however I may use this game for a future day, so I don't want to take any chances.

Day 23: (Underrated) | Boss Battle Theme - Final Fantasy IV
There's plenty of picks I could've gone with for this day, from music from smaller game series, to tracks from bigger franchises that just aren't as well known, but I wanted to go with this, since (not counting the final boss themes) this is probably one of my favorite battle themes in any Final Fantasy game, yet I don't ever hear anyone talking about this one. Granted, as I've said, I've never actually played any of the Final Fantasy games, but I've always loved this battle theme since I was a kid, and I actually prefer it over many of the normal battle and boss battle themes in many of the other FF games. So, for those reasons, this'll be my pick for an underrated track.

Day 24: (Stuck In Head) | Voyage of Promise - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Honestly, I could put any of the songs from the Castlevania or Bloodstained series on here, as I constantly get music from both series' stuck in my head, but this is the one I find creeping into my subconscious most frequently recently. Some of the songs from the Bloodstained games are just as iconic as the CV games in my opinion, this being one of them. Honorable mentions go to pretty much every Castlevania soundtrack, as well as the soundtracks to both Bloodstained games. They're all good.

Day 25: (Pumped) | Break the Rules - Payday 2
If you're a fan of those 80s high-energy tracks (Stuff like Push It to the Limit from Scarface) then this song is right up your alley. I honestly forgot about this song during the vocals day, and if I had remembered it existed, I probably would've used this song for that day instead. One of my absolute favorites from this game's already fantastic soundtrack. If there was ever a sequel to Scarface (For whatever reason) this is how I imagine one of the songs on the soundtrack would've sounded. Honorable mentions go to the rest of the Payday 2 OST, Dreams of Triumph from Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, and BFG Division from DOOM 2016.

Day 26: (Haven't Played) | One Winged Angel - Final Fantasy VII
Had to put another one of my favorite final boss themes of all time somewhere on this list, and since I already have plans for the Final Boss day, this is my last opportunity to do so. Absolutely adore this song and the many remasters of this song that came after the original (Although none of the remasters and remixes of the song have quite topped the original IMO. The FFVII Remake got close, though)

Day 27: (Handheld) | Lorule Castle - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Plenty of options for this day, but I figured I'd go with one of the handheld games I'm most nostalgic for. I've personally always liked A Link Between Worlds better than A Link to the Past (Not that Link to the Past is a bad game, they're both masterpieces in their own right) and this is one of the best songs from that game. Plus this is the song that plays in the last area in the game, which I figured would be fitting since we're nearing the end of the challenge. Honorable mentions go to the various handheld Zelda games as well as the handheld Castlevania games.

Day 28: (Nostalgic) | The Legendary Hero - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
The obvious choice. Wind Waker was among the first 3D Zelda games I ever played, and I still remember the Christmas I got a Gamecube with Wind Waker, and I stayed up all day and all night doing nothing but playing it. One of the happiest memories from my childhood, so there's no better fit for this day than the opening song to that game. Honorable mentions go to Gardens from LittleBigPlanet, & Intro from Minish Cap (As well as this amazing cover of it) It was really hard to choose between these songs, as I'd honestly say I'm equally nostalgic for all of them, however that memory of getting a Gamecube for Christmas just barely pushed it over the edge for me.

Day 29: (Final Boss) | Battle on the Ice - LittleBigPlanet
You may click on the link to this song and think What? This isn't a LittleBigPlanet song. and you'd technically be right, this song didn't actually originate from LBP. This song originally came from the 1938 Russian film Alexander Nevsky, which is a historical drama based on the 13th century Prince of the same name. I've never actually seen the film, but I know of the song itself. In the movie, a lower tempo version (Which I personally prefer) was used in the titular Battle on the Ice scene, which many modern day battle scenes took inspiration from. Why they decided to use this song for the final boss theme in LBP, I don't know, but it was a fantastic choice, as this song is amazing. The reason I used this version for the link is because for some reason the version of Battle on the Ice that's used in the LittleBigPlanet OST isn't actually the version that's used in-game, the one I linked is the version that actually plays during the final boss. Regardless though, this is probably up there as one of my favorite final boss themes of all time, and this is one of the songs that got me to really love a good choir in music. Honorable mentions go to The Gadfly Suite from LittleBigPlanet 2 (Which has a similar backstory to Battle on the Ice) Banquet of Madness from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, and the various iterations of Dance of Illusions (Again) as well as the other final boss themes I've already used, such as Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel.

Day 30: (Credits) | Staff Roll - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Figured I might as well end the list on a high note, in addition to ending it with the same franchise that I started the list with.

698250b3bb812bb8d34e51a852d99b39.png

I'll get to work on my Day 31 list tomorrow 🙂

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 5

Day 1: (Title Screen) - Ogre Battle - Let's start the month with something epic!

Day 2: (Opening Level) - Alisia Dragoon - Not to copy the OP, but it's one of the best opening levels I've ever heard.

Day 3: (8-bit) - Jackal Stage 3/6 - I'm geared up and ready for action!

Day 4: (Console Exclusive Series) - Green Hill Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog

Day 5: (Overworld) - Final Fantasy IV - This theme is so nostalgic for me.

Day 6: (Relaxing) - Final Fantasy VI - Kids Run Through the City - Whenever I think of a relaxing track, this comes to mind.

Day 7: (Indie) - First I picked a song from Stardew Valley but my edit didn't go through... That's okay, I'll share something else. Bloodstained - Gears of Fortune - Of course Michiru Yamane had a hand in this OST, which is amazing.

Day 8: (Shooter) - Hmm... this is tough. I don't remember any music from shooters, so I'm going to have to do some homework. There, this one sounds good, if generic. Battlefield V - Triumph.Okay here's a good shmup song: Gradius III - Sand Storm

Day 9: (Licensed) - Little Nemo: The Dream Master - Nightmare Land - This game has one of the best OSTs ever.

Day 10: (RPG Battle) - Phantasy Star II - Rise or Fall - I really enjoy this soundtrack, and it's one of my favorite RPGs. 

Day 11: (Puzzle) - Magical Drop II - Star's Holiday - Feel good song from a puzzle game I used to play a lot in the arcade.

Day 12: (Sad) - Final Fantasy 6 - Celes' Theme - Really hits the feels.

Day 13: (Game I dislike) - Final Fantasy 7 - Main theme - I don't like FF7, but it has some great music in it.

Day 14: (Vocals) - Final Fantasy 9 - Melodies of Life - This is the only real game song with vocals I can think of right now. Never played the game, but I like the OST.

Day 15: (Boss battle) - Final Fantasy 4 - This is a sheer masterpiece.

Day 16: (16-bit) - Shadow Dancer Stages 3-2 & 5-1 - I love this track and the Genesis doesn't get enough love.

Day 17: (Never tire of) - Warsong Phase 1 - This one pops into my head often. Another Genesis goody.

Day 18: (Game over) - Undertale - Determination - This one also enters my head often. I love the main theme.

Day 19: (Cover) - Smoke and Clouds (Locke) - I listen to VG remixes all the time. OC Remix is one of my favorite sites. It's hard to choose just one, but I like this one because it's unique and has changing beats and tempo.

Day 20: (Racing) - Mario Kart - Donut Plains - This one also pops in my head a lot. It has a nostalgic ring to it for me and I love the whistles.

Day 21: (Frustration) - Fist of the North Star Stage 1 - Please, God, stop the insanity!!!

Day 22: (Village) - Phantasy Star II - Happy and bubbly music that sounds a bit out of place when you think about the mood of the events in the game, but I really enjoy this track.

Day 23: (Underrated) - The entire soundtrack of Super Hydlide. Say what you want to about the game, but the music is excellent! Out of Freedom is my favorite.

Day 24: (The "Kylie Minogue" track) - Ys 3 - A Quiet Moment - I don't know why, but I constantly have this song in my head. It's just a simple track, but I enjoy humming it to myself. Has to be the Genesis version as well.

Edited by ookii_risu
  • Like 7

Administrator · Posted

Maybe the OP (or someone) could simply bump the thread daily to remind to update for that day's entry.  This would keep things organized and would accommodate OP's request to keep the entries together.  I do think it would be easier and more interesting to view people's lists all in one post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gonna play this on Maniac level, sounds more fun. So one track per series.

Day 1 (Title screen): Raf World
Something about this title screen and the music just makes you immediately realise that this is something special. The rest of the game is pretty standard for the NES though, but the whole soundtrack remains incredible.

Day 2 (Opening level): Ibara - Showtime
Playing this game for score, and bombing every single building on the first stage, with this tune from Shinji Hosoe himself blasting through it is just a feeling like few other shooters give you.

Day 3 (8-bit music): Robocop 3 (C64)
Whatever is meant by "8-bit", the NES is undeniably the most famous platform from the generation, so why not go with the platform more famous for its incredible music. 🙂

Day 4 (Console exclusive series): Super Metroid - Brinstar Depths
What game popular enough to make a series hasn't appeared on PC some time or another? I felt the safest approach was to go with a Nintendo IP.

Day 5 (Hub world or overworld music): Dragon Quest II - A Lonely Youth
The DQ series has always had top notch overworld music, and it's really hard to pick just one. DQ8's orchestral version is probably my favourite, but we gotta go with one of the classics here. Using one of the re-releases though, because this series has always had accompanying orchestral recordings, and the soundtracks were obviously composed to be played a such. (this version is still synthetic, but at least it sounds better than the NES one)

Day 6 (Music that makes you feel relaxed): Yoshi's Island - Underground stages
I can think of no better track to use to play my one Mario series card.

Day 7 (Music from an indie game): Fez - Beacon
Fez has to be like the indie game at this point, right? It ended up being more famous for its development process and controversial creator, but it really is an amazing game with a nice sense of secrecy. And Disasterpeace's incredibly soundtrack deserves a huge portion of the credit.

Day 8 (Music from a shooter): Thunder Cross II - Stage 4
Don't come to me calling FPS games "shooters". Here's a great track from a great shooter.

Day 9 (Music from a licensed game): C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa - Final Stage
Nowadays Michiru Yamane is mostly famous for SOTN-style tracks, but I really love her early 90s sound in the likes of Twinbee and Rocket Knight, and this is a good chance to highlight the less prolific Moo Mesa soundtrack, which has her footprint all over it. I was really close to picking Tim Follin's Silver Surfer music, but I'm sure someone else has that queued up. 🙂

Day 10 (JRPG battle music): Etrian Odyssey III - Hoist the Sword With Pride in the Heart (boss theme)
So much to choose from. I have a ton of different favourites that would do well in this category, but I'd regret it it if I didn't include Yuzo Koshiro's amazing return to form with the FM style of music that originally made him popular back in the early 90s from games like the Ys series and Streets of Rage.

Day 11 (Puzzle game music): Tetris the Grand Master 3 - Speed levels 500+
I guess Tetris Effect would have been the "easy" choice, so lets go with a series of Tetris games that's actually good instead. 😛 Though I vastly prefer TGM2 to TGM3, the latter has the better soundtrack. Same composer as the Ibara track from above, but a very different style.

Day 12 (Music that makes you sad): Final Fantasy VI - Forever Rachel
Good thing I didn't use up my FF card earlier (I try to not read the categories ahead of time), because nothing makes me sadder than Rachel's theme from FF6. Such a heartwarming sidestory that really adds to the worldbuilding of the game, and a really clever way to utilize Locke's leitmotif - I didn't even notice the similarities between the two themes back in the day, but it's really obvious when you think about it.

Day 13 (Music you like, from a game you don't): Mega Man X5 - X vs Zero
Being a huge fan of the Mega Man series in general, and to no smaller degree the X games, this one was a massive disappointment to me, and the moment where Capcom finally dropped the ball after nearly 15 fantastic years. The soundtrack remains pretty sweet, though.

Day 14 (Music featuring vocals): Ico - You Were There
I really want to highlight Nier's amazing soundtrack which really stands apart from relying as much on vocals as it does. But I also think most people are well aware of that masterpiece nowadays, so how about this kinda forgotten piece from a game that's otherwise still well regarded. It's kind of interesting that while Nier has English dialogue, but relies entirely on made-up languages for its vocals, this game chose to have an end theme in English despite all dialogue in the game itself being in a made-up language.
Even then, I think the song really captures the incredible mystical and magical atmosphere that emanates the game.

Day 15 (Boss music): Super Fantasy Zone - Boss Music
This category is like a carte blanche. So much cool stuff to pick from. How about this amazing MegaDrive version of the classic Fantasy Zone boss theme? It sounds like an EBM version of the first stage from Doom.

Day 16 (16-bit music): Seiken Densetsu 3 - Where Angels Fear to Tread
Found myself browsing around for a while for the best early 90s FM synth banger, but then I figured that a better representative of the 16-bit generation is probably terribly compressed lo-fi sample-based music, which really defined a lot of people's memories of the SNES. It kind of suffered from most devs trying to use it to replicate "real instruments" which it really doesn't do well. But I want to highlight Seiken Densetsu 3 for being one of the few SNES games doing an orchestral soundtrack who actually paid attention to how well instruments clash with eachother in the final mix.

Day 17 (Music you never get tired of): Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Scorch 'n' Torch
While it might be safer to pick a track I've enjoyed for decades, I feel pretty comfortable saying that Tropical Freeze is sitting solidly in the top of my overall favourite video game soundtracks of all time. Almost every track is great, and they only get better in the context of the stages they are created for (in fact it feels like it might even be the other way around).
It's hard to pick one track, but Scorch 'n' Torch was probably the first to make me realise how special this soundtrack is. While picking it out I found myself completely unable to stop listening to the rest of the soundtrack, so I think this might be a fitting choice.

Day 18 (Game over): Shadowgate
I tried so hard to think of something else. I know I can pick out at least a few banging "please continue?" themes from various arcade games, but this one just kept popping back into my head. I have a feeling we'll see it a few times in this category 😛 
It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here.

Day 19 (Cover from a different artist): Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Metal Slug 1 Assault Theme
It's really hard to think of video games with cover tracks, but I guess Super Smash Bros. is a treasure trove in this department. This rendition of the classic final stage from Metal Slug 1 (that has also been reused in several of the sequels) is pretty god damn sweet.

Day 20 (Racing game): Demolition Racer - Clear The Area
I never play racing games, so it's hard to pick something that isn't just Mario Kart. But then I remembered this soundtrack I own, from a game I never played. Bought it exclusively because it has this lost track from the the awesome British electronic outfit Empirion.

Day 21 (Frustation): Radiant Historia - Beyond the Wilderness
This is actually a hard one, because while I won't lie to myself and say I never get frustrated by challenging games, the ones that are memorable to me are the good ones I got through - and I think getting through a difficult games involves specifically not letting yourself get frustrated, and instead employ a constructive approach. So I'm going to think outside the box and pick a game that frustrated me for all the wrong reasons. Radiant Historia is a frequently celebrated game that gets recommended often, but the further I played into it, the more every aspect of it just got more and more annoying to me. The dialogue is awful, the world design is lazy and repetitive, and the time travelling aspect serves only to frustrate the player. Even the otherwise excellent soundtrack by genre beacon Yoko Shimomura becomes grating when the same three tracks show up over and over throughout the entire game.

Day 22 (Town/village): NieR - City of Commerce
With the whole gloomy and outlandish mood that emanates all of NieR's soundtrack, and by extension the entirety of the game, this is a very atypical entry for this category. But if it allows me to represent the game anywhere in this challenge, it's 100% worth it.

Day 23 (Underrated): Gun Frontier - In The Sky
Why does no one ever talk about Gun Frontier's excellent soundtrack?

Day 24 (Stuck in your head): Parasol Stars - Main Theme
No one produces a real earworm like Taito!

Day 25 (Gets you pumped): Ys 3 - Valestein Castle
Seems like a perfect category for most of the Ys soundtracks.

Day 26 (A game you haven't played) Battle K-Road - Cyborg Theme
I think I've already posted at least a few games I never played - but I think this pick might be the one I haven't played the most. It looks like a really shitty fighting game, and I have no intention of ever touching it. But these FM tune really kicks butt. 😄

Day 27 (Handheld game) Castlevania Portrait of Ruin - The Gears Go Awry
Can you believe I haven't had a Castlevania game yet? Maniac difficulty has no limitations on repeated composers, so let's get another Yuzo Koshiro track in here. 🙂

Day 28 (Nostalgic) The Secret of Monkey Island - Title Theme
I really had a hard time finding anything that would make me "nostalgic". I think I have a habit of keeping games I like fresh in mind, so nothing really evokes that feeling for me. But I do vividly remember the first time I randomly put this game on and the title came up with this music. I knew immediately that this was something special.

Day 29 (Final boss) Dark Souls - Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Time to include Dark Souls, for being such a wonderful subversion of what you'd expect a final boss to sound like, yet so incredibly apt for the context.

Day 30 (Credits) Zelda: A Link To The Past - Staff Roll
In spite of multiple iconic tunes across the NES, most famously the incredibly catchy and well known Mario theme, this is the piece that truly set Koji Kondo on the map for me, and made me recognize his name on every subsequent video game credit I spotted him in.
It's the kind of sound that reaches deep into your heart and makes sure the game will stay there for decades.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Gonna play this on Maniac level, sounds more fun. So one track per series.

I'm thinking of playing it the same but not committing yet, just in case.

But I can't wait till this is all over and we'll have quite an extensive list of the best music ever put to cartridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Day 3 (8-bit music): Robocop 3 (C64)

I don't think I've played a single game Jeroen Tel has composed for, but I stumbled across his work when going through C64 music a while ago and loved many of the songs he's written. I'm definitely planning on using one of his songs for a later category.

Also @ZeldaFreak and @Aguy, it seems like we have similar taste in music because I was considering all 6 of those songs.

• Like 1

Sounds fun! 

Day 1 (Title Screen) - Epic Pinball (DOS)

Day 2 (Opening Level) - Kabuki Quantum Fighter (NES) 

Day 3 (8-Bit) - Jeroen Tel - Supremacy (C64) 

Day 4 (Console Exclusive Series) - Battle Mania 2 - Shrine (Genesis/MD)

Day 5 (Overworld) - Super Mario Land (GB) This may be my only first-party Nintendo pick, but we'll see.

Day 6 (Relaxing) - Final Fantasy IX - The Place I'll Return to Someday (PS1) I recently discovered this one and think it's a great piece.

Day 7 (Indie) - Super Bat Puncher - Entering The Cave (NES) by Blitz Lunar

Day 8 (Shooter) - Tetra Star: The Fighter (FC) - So many shooters (shmups) have great music so I figured I'll choose one a little less known. The soundtrack is classical music renditions, fully orchestrated by the Famicom's standard 5-channel 2A03 chip.  

Day 9 (Licensed) - The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Genesis) - Boss

Day 10 (RPG Battle) - Final Fantasy V - Battle with Gilgamesh (Clash on the Bridge) (SFC) - I should really play through a Final Fantasy game sometime, they have such great music.

Day 11 (Puzzle) - Tengen Tetris (NES) - Bradinsky - Licensed Tetris has good music, but this one has always been my go-to jam.  I love the solo midway through the song.  Fun fact, the song name is not some classical Russian figure, it's named after the composer, Brad Fuller.

Day 12 (Sad) - Ecco II The Tides of Time - Medusa's Lullaby (GG) - Something sad and emotive in this humble Game Gear track.  Honorable mention:  Final Fantasy VI - Forever Rachel

Day 13 (Meh game, Good Music) - Spellbound (C64) I'm sure this game was cool back in the day, but I first discovered it through its soundtrack by Rob Hubbard.  When I finally played the game it was a bit disappointing, but at least the music was great.

Day 14 (Vocals) - WarioWare Mega Micro Games (GBA) - Four Seasons - It's Japanese Enka music performed in a WarioWare game on Game Boy Advance, of all things.  

Day 15 (Boss) - Journey to Silius (NES) -  How about a solid boss theme from a Sunsoft NES game.  Rest of soundtrack is great too, I've always liked Stage 2 and the ending theme as well.

Day 16 (16-Bit) - Mega Turrican - Stage 1-2 (Genesis)  A great Genesis soundtrack by Chris Huelsbeck.  I was fortunate enough to meet him and get my copy signed.  Honorable mentions: Atomic Runner - Keep Running || Cyborg Justice - Opening Theme & Stage 1 || Castlevania Bloodlines - Iron Blue Intention (Genesis)

Day 17 (Never Get Tired Of) - Sonic The Hedgehog - Green Hill Zone

Day 18 (Game Over) - Metal Storm (NES)

Day 19 (Cover) - Super Spy Hunter \ Battle Formula (NES/FC) - by Harmsing - Awesome cover and I still feel this video deserves more views.

Day 20 (Racing) - Rad Racer (NES) - Sunset Coastline - Such a classic tune!  No surprise as it's by a young Nobuo Uematsu.

Day 21 (Frustration) - Battletoads (NES) - Turbo Tunnel 🙃 Ninja Gaiden - Life Lost

Day 22 (Town) - PuLiRuLa (Saturn) - Rucksack and Mel's Town

Day 23 (Underrated) - Super Adventure Island - Beach (SNES) Honorable mention: Dragon Fighter - Stage 3 (NES)

Day 24 (Stuck in Head) - Smashing Drive - Early Bird (GBA) - I first heard this song awhile back, and it's been stuck in my head ever since, for better or for worse!🤯 Haha

Day 25 (Gets You Pumped) - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PS1) - Goldfinger - Superman - I know this is licensed music, but man, I think it's engrained in the video game and probably where a lot of people my age first heard it. This song always got me pumped.

Day 26 (Never Played Game) - The Scheme - Thousand Eyes (PC-88) - An earlier tune by Yuzo Koshiro on the NEC PC-88, going full Yngwie Malmsteen🤘🎸

Day 27 (Handheld) - Sonic Pocket Adventure (Neo Geo Pocket) -  Secret Plant Zone Act 1 - It's a actually an 8-bit rendition of Angel Island Zone Act 2 from Sonic 3!

Day 28 (Nostalgic) - Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Endless Mine - One of the few games I still have my original copy from as a kid. Whole soundtrack is nostalgic (I snuck in another Sonic 3 song, although different game, on previous day 😅)Honorable mention: Sonic Spinball - Toxic Caves  - Groovin' soundtrack! 

Day 29 (Final Boss) - Soldier Blade (TurboGrafx-16)

Day 30 (Credits Music) - Crisis Force (Famicom) -  Always liked this one and still think it deserves more love.

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 7

Events Team · Posted
On 6/2/2020 at 12:14 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Day 5 (Hub/Overworld): Overworld - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)I really tried to pick something that wasn't Zelda (which now I feel especially called out by ZeldaFreak, lol)

Hey, I wasn't calling you out in particular, I was just calling out all the people who probably thought I was gonna choose an overworld theme from Zelda 😛

And besides, that's a good pick anyway. Personally, if I went with one of the Zelda overworld themes, I probably would've gone with the Link Between Worlds Overworld Theme
And also an honorable mention to the Spirit Tracks Overworld Theme, but I'm saving the music from that game for a later day.

9 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Hey, I wasn't calling you out in particular, I was just calling out all the people who probably thought I was gonna choose an overworld theme from Zelda 😛

And besides, that's a good pick anyway. Personally, if I went with one of the Zelda overworld themes, I probably would've gone with the Link Between Worlds Overworld Theme
And also an honorable mention to the Spirit Tracks Overworld Theme, but I'm saving the music from that game for a later day.

I relistened to all the overworld themes and nearly went with the Link Between Worlds one. The only reason I went with LA (switch) was because I like the more laid back feel of that arrangement as opposed to the more rigid / military band feeling from aLBW. When I got to Spirit Tracks in my relistening, I was actually surprised by how much I liked it. I don't remember any of the music in Spirit Tracks being particularly outstanding. I think it's probably the compressed DS audio that throws me off (although it's at least better than GBA audio).

(On an unrelated side note, I figured I would mention I changed my Day 3 pick)

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I relistened to all the overworld themes and nearly went with the Link Between Worlds one. The only reason I went with LA (switch) was because I like the more laid back feel of that arrangement as opposed to the more rigid / military band feeling from aLBW. When I got to Spirit Tracks in my relistening, I was actually surprised by how much I liked it. I don't remember any of the music in Spirit Tracks being particularly outstanding. I think it's probably the compressed DS audio that throws me off (although it's at least better than GBA audio).

(On an unrelated side note, I figured I would mention I changed my Day 3 pick)

Yeah, that's totally fair. I personally prefer the more triumphant sound of the overworld themes like ALBW, but to each their own. I like both styles.

And Spirit Tracks actually has a really great soundtrack man, I'd highly recommend giving some of it a listen. Maybe listen to some of ZREO's remasters of the Spirit Tracks soundtrack, that gives you a taste of some of the songs without the DS compression. The Tower of Spirits theme is one of my personal favorites.

I really like Spirit Tracks a lot as a game, honestly. I think it's severely underrated and underappreciated.

4 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, that's totally fair. I personally prefer the more triumphant sound of the overworld themes like ALBW, but to each their own. I like both styles.

And Spirit Tracks actually has a really great soundtrack man, I'd highly recommend giving some of it a listen. Maybe listen to some of ZREO's remasters of the Spirit Tracks soundtrack, that gives you a taste of some of the songs without the DS compression. The Tower of Spirits theme is one of my personal favorites.

I really like Spirit Tracks a lot as a game, honestly. I think it's severely underrated and underappreciated.

It's been awhile since I've listened to the ZREO remasters. I don't remember liking them much better than the originals. I tend to prefer orchestral covers to be a bit more original in their arrangement as opposed to strictly adhering to the original. But after listening to some of Spirit Tracks I think it is definitely an improvement for the DS and GBA games. 

I really need to replay Spirit Tracks as I last played it on release. I did try to replay Phantom Hourglass some time ago, but loss interest probably due to the repeated visits to the ocean temple.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 6:47 PM, Aguy said:

Day 5 (Hub/Overworked) - Dragon Quest V - Ocean (PS2)

I picked the PS2 port for the orchestral soundtrack, but this maybe my favorite arrangements from any DQ game. 

Hah, I was so close to picking this exact track. It's probably my favourite track in the entire Dragon Quest series!
Glad I went with DQ2 insead though, for someone else to highlight this one. DQ4 hero chapter was another one that was close to making the cut.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Hah, I was so close to picking this exact track. It's probably my favourite track in the entire Dragon Quest series!
Glad I went with DQ2 insead though, for someone else to highlight this one. DQ4 hero chapter was another one that was close to making the cut.

I was considering your DQ2 pick as well as DQ8, and DQ1 has a very lonely sounding overworld that fits perfectly with the story.

I'm still going for maniac, so I figure if I'm using my DQ card, it better be the best on offer.

• Like 1