IGNORED

NASA & Space Exploration

On 3/5/2021 at 8:28 PM, avatar! said:

25702-PIA24488-NLF-0014-0668192052-178-C

You know from Mars our Earth is just a tiny blue dot.  Everything humanity has ever known or experienced is all on that teeny blue dot.  Shoot it was not until 1959 that we were able to even find out what any of the far side of the moon looked like!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

You know from Mars our Earth is just a tiny blue dot.  Everything humanity has ever known or experienced is all on that teeny blue dot.  Shoot it was not until 1959 that we were able to even find out what any of the far side of the moon looked like!

Carl Sagan coined the original term "pale blue dot". He had asked NASA to take a picture of Earth from Voyager's (the first) camera as it was leaving the solar system. You see the "rainbow-like" effect due to scattered light from the Sun hitting the lens, but can you find the Earth? Here is Sagan's immortal words.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Pale-Blue-Dot.png

• Like 4

On 3/21/2021 at 10:26 PM, avatar! said:

Carl Sagan coined the original term "pale blue dot". He had asked NASA to take a picture of Earth from Voyager's (the first) camera as it was leaving the solar system. You see the "rainbow-like" effect due to scattered light from the Sun hitting the lens, but can you find the Earth? Here is Sagan's immortal words.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

Pale-Blue-Dot.png

My point though is that even from our second nearest planet we are nothing but a tiny blue dot.  Even us as individuals are just one out of ~7,800,000,000 currently living human souls.  Or one out of ~330,000,000 in the US.  Or one out of 4,480,000 in Kentucky.  Even my own county is the roughly about three or so sold out Rupp Arenas.  Now do you guys understand how it's so easy to have such a "Doris Day complex" (Anything I can do there's TONS of others out there that can do it better!) 😞 

4 hours ago, Estil said:

Anything I can do there's TONS of others out there that can do it better!

Doesn't matter what you, or anyone else, can or can't do. It's more about what you ACTUALLY do. Loads of inadequate people make huge waves in this life, because they actually give it a go, and good on them! Probably the majority of human potential ever has been wasted by people either too lazy or too scared to use it. Don't let that be you.

6 hours ago, Estil said:

(Anything I can do there's TONS of others out there that can do it better!) 😞 

*Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.

*Perfect is the enemy of "good enough".

(i.e. "executing" often matters more than being the best, or anywhere close to the best)

There is always someone better.  Always.  Anyone that seems like "the best" at the moment is still going to succumb to the march of time where whatever made them special declines with age, or better tools and more access make it easier for amateurs of a new generation to be "better" than the professionals of earlier times.

So do what you enjoy -- whether you're the best or not.

Try what you might enjoy.

Do what you think could matter to somebody, even if that audience is just one person.

But don't succumb to decision paralysis from worrying about being "anywhere close to the best".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Laziness and fear are quite powerful, especially when they join forces.

Being fearful simply gives you more opportunities to be brave!

People who aren't afraid of anything, if they even exist, are NOT brave... they don't need to be. It's the fearful (aka pretty much everyone) who need to reach down and find that courage to face the things that scare them. I'm brave, and I'm scared of all sorts of things, I do em anyway!

Find an opportunity to be brave, and take it. You'll never realise how easy some of the things that scare you are, until you've done them. 🙂

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
39 minutes ago, OptOut said:

People who aren't afraid of anything, if they even exist, are NOT brave... they don't need to be. It's the fearful (aka pretty much everyone) who need to reach down and find that courage to face the things that scare them. I'm brave, and I'm scared of all sorts of things, I do em anyway!

Find an opportunity to be brave, and take it. You'll never realise how easy some of the things that scare you are, until you've done them. 🙂

Well I suppose if we're having this conversation, I should also say that sadness and depression play a big part in it as well, haha. Sadness, fear and laziness is an absolutely devastating 1-2-3 combo that's claimed many people's potential in life forever.

Anyway, not to get this thread too sidetracked, just thought this was an interesting conversation.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Estil said:

My point though is that even from our second nearest planet we are nothing but a tiny blue dot.  Even us as individuals are just one out of ~7,800,000,000 currently living human souls.  Or one out of ~330,000,000 in the US.  Or one out of 4,480,000 in Kentucky.  Even my own county is the roughly about three or so sold out Rupp Arenas.  Now do you guys understand how it's so easy to have such a "Doris Day complex" (Anything I can do there's TONS of others out there that can do it better!) 😞 

Don't know if this makes you feel better, but you're actually wrong.

Even with the naked eye, Mars from Earth is NOT a tiny dot, if it was you would never see it. And Earth is larger than Mars substantially, and so from Mars it is NOT a "tiny blue dot" as you say. It also depends on whether Earth and Mars are in conjunction, at any rate if you were on Mars you would see Earth shine quite brightly in the night sky.

Screenshot-from-2021-03-23-13-00-10.png

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/5970/bright-evening-star-seen-from-mars-is-earth-annotated/?site=msl

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 7:04 PM, Tanooki said:

Same here... I see this being like some $100k get away, after whatever the cost of launch would be through blue origin, space x, or whomever has the connecting (space)flight there.  I think if they could figure out what they're saying having it like those old models of scifi for decades using centripetal force, it could work. It would be a great learning experience for staff there long term to see what level of rotation is needed to create that artificial gravity well so peoples bodies don't fall apart.

9.8 metres per second squared is the value.

• Like 1

Perseverance has released its debris shield which now allows the helicopter, Ingenuity, to be released! First flight is scheduled for around April 8th!

First powered and controlled flight was done by the Wright Brothers on Dec. 17, 1903. 118 years later, and we're attempting a similar feat on another planet!

Mars-Perseverance-SIF-0030-0669611931-11

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, OptOut said:

Want to go cycling up in the mountains this weekend?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, avatar! said:

Don't know if this makes you feel better, but you're actually wrong.

Even with the naked eye, Mars from Earth is NOT a tiny dot, if it was you would never see it. And Earth is larger than Mars substantially, and so from Mars it is NOT a "tiny blue dot" as you say. It also depends on whether Earth and Mars are in conjunction, at any rate if you were on Mars you would see Earth shine quite brightly in the night sky.

Screenshot-from-2021-03-23-13-00-10.png

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/5970/bright-evening-star-seen-from-mars-is-earth-annotated/?site=msl

Well it's tiny enough.  I'm surprised you can see the Moon from Mars unaided though.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:25 AM, arch_8ngel said:

*Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.

*Perfect is the enemy of "good enough".

(i.e. "executing" often matters more than being the best, or anywhere close to the best)

There is always someone better.  Always.  Anyone that seems like "the best" at the moment is still going to succumb to the march of time where whatever made them special declines with age, or better tools and more access make it easier for amateurs of a new generation to be "better" than the professionals of earlier times.

So do what you enjoy -- whether you're the best or not.

Try what you might enjoy.

Do what you think could matter to somebody, even if that audience is just one person.

But don't succumb to decision paralysis from worrying about being "anywhere close to the best".

Oh don't misunderstand me, I'm very proud of what I have been able to accomplish; my two BAs from UK are by far my proudest achievement (remember that topic I made about how I strongly disagree with this notion that liberal arts degrees are "worthless"?). 

And you know how I've really gotten into getting PS3/PS4 trophies the past year or so?  I imagine the most hardcore trophy hunters are "platinum or bust" but seeing as how I have several PS3 games that are literally impossible to platinum (the trophies that require going online and the online part long since retired), and some are completely not worth it and inappropriate (for example the one in FF9 where you have to speed run in <12 hours to get a super special item; I don't think speedruns belong in big quest/rpg kinds of games). 

So I say, to heck with platinums (unless I at some point really get really close), let's just see how many B/S/G's I can get...they all count towards your "trophy points" right?  Six bronzes (or three silvers) count just as much as one gold...and two bronzes count the same as one silver.

Hey I do know one thing I think I can say I am among the best at...being a kitty parent!  I mean the only thing I can think of that I could do better in that regard is to do cat shows/cat fancy or whatever but are those kind of cats like stuck up diva Aristocats though? :(  I love really cute skippy big black excited eyes kind of kitties! 😄 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Flying on another planet!

ncam-flight10000000-pbin.jpg

NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter captured this shot as it hovered over the Martian surface on April 19, 2021, during the first instance of powered, controlled flight on another planet. It used its navigation camera, which autonomously tracks the ground during flight.

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1