IGNORED

Was SEI Impossible Mission II released at retail?

Working on my NES knowledge and I want to know if this game was truly released or just manufactured and found in a warehouse like Cheetahmen II? Looking up release info on various websites, it's all over the place from 1989 through 1991, I don't trust anything.

It looks like I got my "this was never really sold story" from ConsoleDatabase.com, or someone who updated ConsoleDatabase.com. Anyone have another source, or just want to use their encyclopedic Nintendo knowledge to let me know the deal?
https://www.consoledatabase.com/profiles/entities/sei/

Honestly, when I saw this topic (and before I read through it), I was going to say that I would bet it was released solely for the fact that copies are so relatively widely and easily available compared to actually non-officially-released games like Cheetahmen II.  There's also an episode of Pixel Game Squad where they're in this warehouse owned by a guy they know who happens to have 1 or 2 sealed cases of these, but not pallet upon pallet of them, leading me to believe that they were purchased in the same manner that other games of the day were, further supporting the idea that they were released to retail like other games were.

As far as I know this game was released. It has a barcode on the box, and I know for a fact was sold in mail away catalogs.  Being as it was unlicensed most stores were not allowed to sell them due to agreements with Nintendo.  This game to me falls under the umbrella of the Panesian games as it was mostly at rental stores and little video chains that ordered it from a catalog.  Seeing the large cache of these that were found in sealed cases leads me to believe that there was quite a bit leftover stock. 

Just to add a data point I bought a copy of this just a week ago. I had never seen an SEI cart before so it caught my eye. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but mine has the ugly metallic silver void residue on the back so I think it must've been a former rental. Oh and mine is the color label SEI cart.

Edited by SteelGeneral