IGNORED

PS5

First impressions are in

2003851082_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1303-20-26.png.c62c6b66a0f03c18487dd31ba402ff49.png

https://www.cnet.com/news/ps5-review-exclusive-games-power-sonys-sky-high-space-age-console/

I'm extremely impressed with the entire PS5 package. The design is bold. The new controller is a big step forward, both in ergonomics and features, and the addition of the new built-in controller mic (and sold-separately new HD webcam) will no doubt send many new streamers to Twitch and other platforms to show off. 

Well I was nervous but Amazon shipped mine launch day.  Got it setup and transferred pretty much everything from my  PS4 over except HBO Max (wtf hbo?)

First off much better UI.  HDR everywhere! Much less laggy to go to the homepage and the store launches from there rather than the stupid app that always got hung up.  Much easier to invite friends to games, but they buried the friendlist (maybe it can be hotkeyed to the menu bar?)  The built in mic and speaker on the controller doesn’t sound bad at all, I still want to pick up a headset down the line but it is a nice alternative.

Played a bit of Astro, really fun pack in game.  Cutesy 3D Mario style platformer with shoutouts to PlayStation history.  Really shows off the controller since you feel the rain and when you walk over grates.  Next level rumble.

Tested Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) and wow it is so much more fluid with the better frame rate and the fire/particle effects seem dialed up.  So weird because I played that game a lot and it feels like a different game.  Some PS4 games get a boost right out of the gate and others are getting patched down the line so that should make revisiting some of them fun (can’t wait for Witcher 3 to get a bump.)

I haven’t played a proper PS5 game yet, but already seeing a nice improvement over the PS4 Pro (should be even bigger if you are coming from base PS4 and seeing 4K for the first time)

70D84C2A-C775-4110-9BA1-7BCA6B5F6428.jpeg

On 11/13/2020 at 8:19 AM, fox said:

Well I was nervous but Amazon shipped mine launch day.  Got it setup and transferred pretty much everything from my  PS4 over except HBO Max (wtf hbo?)

First off much better UI.  HDR everywhere! Much less laggy to go to the homepage and the store launches from there rather than the stupid app that always got hung up.  Much easier to invite friends to games, but they buried the friendlist (maybe it can be hotkeyed to the menu bar?)  The built in mic and speaker on the controller doesn’t sound bad at all, I still want to pick up a headset down the line but it is a nice alternative.

Played a bit of Astro, really fun pack in game.  Cutesy 3D Mario style platformer with shoutouts to PlayStation history.  Really shows off the controller since you feel the rain and when you walk over grates.  Next level rumble.

Tested Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) and wow it is so much more fluid with the better frame rate and the fire/particle effects seem dialed up.  So weird because I played that game a lot and it feels like a different game.  Some PS4 games get a boost right out of the gate and others are getting patched down the line so that should make revisiting some of them fun (can’t wait for Witcher 3 to get a bump.)

I haven’t played a proper PS5 game yet, but already seeing a nice improvement over the PS4 Pro (should be even bigger if you are coming from base PS4 and seeing 4K for the first time)

70D84C2A-C775-4110-9BA1-7BCA6B5F6428.jpeg

Congrats! Sounds great. How loud is it? Did you get a digital edition? Tell us more when you take a break from playing 🙂

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Congrats! Sounds great. How loud is it? Did you get a digital edition? Tell us more when you take a break from playing 🙂

Played a bit of bugsnax, seems spiffy, kind of Pokemon snap meets adventure game? Suppose to get Miles in mail soon but mail has been really slow with the holiday and everything else going on.

Much quieter than my ps4 pro.  Got the disc version because I have about 20 4k blu rays. If you are a fan of physical media it is a no brainer to get the disc version.  Yeah you can get a cheap 4K player, but not one with HDR support for under $100.

• Like 1

I left some more detailed impressions in the other threads, but I will say the PS5 is a pretty cool system with the usual launch problems. I wouldn't personally place it where people can see it due to the ridiculous design, but it really does run very quiet (except when discs are spinning; still nowhere near jet engine PS4 Pro levels). The OS is pretty snappy, if a bit overcrowded and inefficient (why can't I hold the PS button to power down anymore?). On the downside, the OS is definitely buggy and I've had multiple whole system crashes, even without an external HDD attached.

I have no clue why reviewers were drooling over Astro, but I suspect it is simply due to the pack-in nature and the lack of much new to play. It has its charmi, but it's loaded with gimmicky motion controls. Having your character transform into a ball which you have to "roll" by sliding your finger on the touch pad is infuriating and the opposite of fun. The same can be said for the jet pack, glider, and gorilla transformations. The DualSense has some nifty features, but I'd rather have none of the extra fluff and a better battery. It also feels too big in my hands since I prefer Xbox controllers. Anyways, it's worth playing Astro just to experience the different features of the controller, but temper your expectations.

Demon's Souls is the real star of the launch lineup. Beautiful visuals with a locked 60fps mode (sadly no ray tracing mode) and really tight, but challenging gameplay. I've never played a Souls game before and I'm having a blast. Apparently there are a few quality of life improvements, but they're tough to spot because the game retains much of its esoteric nature. Consult a guide and enjoy rather than die repeatedly banging your head against a wall.

Overall the PS5 is a pretty neat system and I'm glad I upgraded. I'm most excited to go back and play all the big PS4 games I missed.

Edited by DoctorEncore

I don't' know if there is any truth to it, but there is a thing going around on Facebook that some people who bought a digital only version of the PS5 are getting the disc version inside the box................ and people are complaining about it.  My favorite comment is from the person saying he would demand a replacement because the disc version is "too much work."  I can't help but think the story is fake, but the comments are certainly real. 

4 minutes ago, cartman said:

What is the physical to disc buy ratio are people jumping onto discless a lot?

I would love to know that info.  From what I'm seeing, the younger gaming crowd seems to want to avoid physical media.  I won't get into the debate here, but as long as the prices are the same, that just seems so foolish to me.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I would love to know that info.  From what I'm seeing, the younger gaming crowd seems to want to avoid physical media.  I won't get into the debate here, but as long as the prices are the same, that just seems so foolish to me.  

Yeah i guess there is a chunk of people that will just see conveniance as a major factor. But it costs less to distribute it digitally so it should be sold for less but it won't the companies will just pocket the difference instead.

• Like 2

So far I've been enjoying mine.

Bought physical copies of the remastered Crash Trilogy and CTR. Playing thru those with my wife.

Used my PS+ subscription to download Ratchet & Clank and Infamous: Second Son. (beat both already)

I think next up on my want list are AC Valhalla and SM Miles Morales. 

Oh, and I ordered a physical copy of the THPS 1/2 remaster. Looking forward to that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br81zad said:

So far I've been enjoying mine.

Bought physical copies of the remastered Crash Trilogy and CTR. Playing thru those with my wife.

Used my PS+ subscription to download Ratchet & Clank and Infamous: Second Son. (beat both already)

I think next up on my want list are AC Valhalla and SM Miles Morales. 

Oh, and I ordered a physical copy of the THPS 1/2 remaster. Looking forward to that

Have you tried playing any physical PS4 games? Do those work well? Any upgrades on the visuals?

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

Have you tried playing any physical PS4 games? Do those work well? Any upgrades on the visuals?

Yeah, they work just fine and they look great. I couldn't say whether they look better or worse than they did on PS4 without seeing them side by side though. 

Load times are quick, and switching between games is faster than I expected. Even from a disc game to a digital game and back is quick. 

• Thanks 1

412230923_Screenshotfrom2020-12-0405-20-11.png.42a528af6f1d9b6f2889960d99cbc17a.png

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/12/taiwanese-man-sells-playstation-5-after-wife-finds-out-he-lied-about-it-being-air-purifier

"I went silent after seeing the look in his eyes. I could feel his pain," Wu recalls, remembering the bitter expression on the man's face as he struggled to keep their suddenly awkward conversation going. "It turns out that women can tell the difference between a PS5 and an air filter."

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2020 at 2:19 PM, TDIRunner said:

I’ve been following sales drops from various retailers. There are significantly more disc consoles for sale than digital. I haven’t calculated numbers, but it looks like digital might account for 20% of sales at best.

34 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I’ve been following sales drops from various retailers. There are significantly more disc consoles for sale than digital. I haven’t calculated numbers, but it looks like digital might account for 20% of sales at best.

Some analysts have said it is even less than 20%, but that seems about right based on some retail analyses.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/ps5-retailers-have-many-fewer-digital-edition-systems-for-pre-order/

54 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

If that's true, than that's good to hear.  It's certainly possible that the digital only crow is simply the loudest on social media, which is why I mentioned that I was interested in actual sales numbers to compare to what I see on social media.  

10 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

If that's true, than that's good to hear.  It's certainly possible that the digital only crow is simply the loudest on social media, which is why I mentioned that I was interested in actual sales numbers to compare to what I see on social media.  

I think that digital only sales would be higher than they currently are if the product was available. I don’t think Sony produced enough digital consoles. I see a lot of people “settle” for disc systems.

1 minute ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I think that digital only sales would be higher than they currently are if the product was available. I don’t think Sony produced enough digital consoles. I see a lot of people “settle” for disc systems.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the consumer wants.  The console and game makers want everything to go all digital because it means more money for them, so it's going to happen eventually.  

• Sad 1

Sadly, I agree. Digital is the future. It will be the end of my buying games though despite the fact that physical games on disc are essentially meaningless at this point as the games are downloaded anyway and they got rid of manuals. I just hate the idea of manufacturers not providing a discount for digital distribution as their is definitely savings on their end.