IGNORED

PS5

10 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

Saw somewhere it might be able to play PS4 games also.

They have confirmed backwards compatibility.  From what I have read and seen its the same format as Xbox One.  Tune up the emulator so it works well with each game versus open it all up with mixed results.  I'm fine with that since they mentioned working on the top 100 games already.

29 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

They have confirmed backwards compatibility.  From what I have read and seen its the same format as Xbox One.  Tune up the emulator so it works well with each game versus open it all up with mixed results.  I'm fine with that since they mentioned working on the top 100 games already.

As someone that loves indie games, I would hope the backwards compatibility applies to more than just the top 100 games. I assume "top 100" here means best selling, so basically AAA games. Furthermore, I'm certain that a number of PS4 games will make their way as "remastered" PS5 games. Probably quite a few from the "top 100". 

30 minutes ago, avatar! said:

As someone that loves indie games, I would hope the backwards compatibility applies to more than just the top 100 games. I assume "top 100" here means best selling, so basically AAA games. Furthermore, I'm certain that a number of PS4 games will make their way as "remastered" PS5 games. Probably quite a few from the "top 100". 

Oh yeah it will be AAA for a bit.  I'm sure they will continue to work on more stuff. 

At this point our console purchases should continue to work on future systems like PC does.  Buy Celeste on PS4 have it on PS5.  Thankfully some of the big games this year will have a free upgrade path to next gen versions but now is the time to transition to systems that support long term libraries. 

13 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

Oh yeah it will be AAA for a bit.  I'm sure they will continue to work on more stuff. 

At this point our console purchases should continue to work on future systems like PC does.  Buy Celeste on PS4 have it on PS5.  Thankfully some of the big games this year will have a free upgrade path to next gen versions but now is the time to transition to systems that support long term libraries. 

Celeste will be available for purchase on the PS5 online for sure. Physical copy is unlikely, unless LRG decides to do a PS5 release, and I imagine they probably won't unless Celeste 2 comes out at which point they'll likely have Celeste 1 and 2 for the PS5. But who knows...

1 hour ago, zeppelin03 said:

From what i understand the technology to plays PS1 and PS2 is already possible but they wanna peddle those over the PSN rather than allow it for free.

3 hours ago, cartman said:

From what i understand the technology to plays PS1 and PS2 is already possible but they wanna peddle those over the PSN rather than allow it for free.

Give me PS1 without the jitters and that would be a perfect retro console (yes, I'm calling PS1 retro now, maybe even PS2)

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

Give you what what do you mean?

I wrote a long winded reply and deleted most of it at the end, so context is missing. My bad!

I wanted to bring up how PS1 is *really* REALLY terrible on modern displays, not only because of the low level of 1st gen console 3d detail, but also because of the way that things jitter around the screen even when you're standing standing still.

I'd like to see Sony use the horsepower of the PS5 to apply some sort of jitter fix on PS1 games if they do native PS1 support.

To be perfectly frank, I wouldn't purchase a PS5 because of backwards compatibility. Although having backwards compatibility would be a big bonus. For me, I'd like to see it play PS3 and PS4 games. But again, that's not what sells a new system. Anyone want to bet that Elden Ring will be on PS5 and that will be enough to get many to purchase it! 

10 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I wrote a long winded reply and deleted most of it at the end, so context is missing. My bad!

I wanted to bring up how PS1 is *really* REALLY terrible on modern displays, not only because of the low level of 1st gen console 3d detail, but also because of the way that things jitter around the screen even when you're standing standing still.

I'd like to see Sony use the horsepower of the PS5 to apply some sort of jitter fix on PS1 games if they do native PS1 support.

Yeah i don't know all the specifics but that's what i heard, that it can be backwards compatible with PS1 and 2. Maybe there is some kind of "Analogue treatment" that could be utilized in PS5 and make those older gens run properly too. But i mean some solutions has to be implemented you can't just have hundreds of games becoming obsolete and "unplayable" as the generations go by yes we can buy CRT's and have a bunch of old consoles but it's not a real solution. That's us taking measures to preserve but the companies themselves, from that viewpoint they are making them unplayable.

3 hours ago, jonebone said:

I want to see the release and was planning to be a day 1 adopter.  Planning to redo the whole basement setup actually, new TV, new PS5 and maybe new couch / speakers.  Been waiting for the next era of technology to hop in.

Sounds lovely! Share some pics, invite us over for a game night 🙂 

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Rumors are the PS5 might run around $499. Just a rumor of course, but at that price, I'm wondering who would purchase it? I think $399 is more likely. 

People are ready for a new console.  $500 is an easy no brainer for a lot of people.  $400 would be instant sell out and scalper city.   People are paying $400 for new Switches at the moment because they can't stay in stock.  I think $500 (or less?) is a win for any consumer who wants to upgrade. 

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

Rumors are the PS5 might run around $499. Just a rumor of course, but at that price, I'm wondering who would purchase it? I think $399 is more likely. 

$400-$500 for my main gaming console for the next 6 or 7 years is an easy buy for me.

I’m pretty sure we are going to get a look at the console and some games, but hope we get a release date soon.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:22 AM, avatar! said:

PS3 sold for $500-$600, depending on the model, fourteen years ago. That'd be $650-$750 today.

25 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

PS3 sold for $500-$600, depending on the model, fourteen years ago. That'd be $650-$750 today.

And, the PS3 did NOT sell well at those prices. It was ridiculed and helped the 360. 

In fact, about 1/2 a year later, they reduced the price by a whooping $100! 

https://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/07/09/sony.price.reut/

On 5/31/2020 at 2:56 PM, fox said:

$400-$500 for my main gaming console for the next 6 or 7 years is an easy buy for me.

I’m pretty sure we are going to get a look at the console and some games, but hope we get a release date soon.

32 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Just now, avatar! said:

And, the PS3 did NOT sell well at those prices. It was ridiculed and helped the 360. 

I really don't think Sony can hit $400 considering they are looking at a $450 build price. If they sell just one million units, that's a $50-75 million loss during the launch period. I don't care how good your software sales are, that is not sustainable for a company of Sony's size. I also agree with avatar that $600 is not palatable, especially with 40 million people recently unemployed in the US.

So that puts the PS5 squarely in the $450 - $550 range. I think if Microsoft launches at $500, Sony will also go $500. Faced with two consoles of equal cost, the average consumer will almost always go with brand recognition and the Playstation 4 dominated thoroughly. this generation. I think the only way Sony would even consider sub-$500 is if Microsoft launched at $450, which seems impossible given the specs on the Series X.

30 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I remember that.  There was a short period of time where most people thought the PS3 might end up being a big flop.  However, the problem wasn't the price.  Technically, the asking price was justified.  They just tried to cram way too much new tech into the thing.  Just because the price is justified, doesn't mean people have the money to spend on it. The price drops, and later cheaper to produce models saved it and now it's one of the best selling consoles of all time.