IGNORED

Movie Debate #19: Glengarry Glen Ross

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • I haven't seen the movie, but I'm interested in watching it
    • No interest in watching it

Fantastic movie, modern classic. Such a force of all-time great actors at the top of their game. It's also one of the best adaptations of a stage play I've ever seen.

The character Gil Gunderson in The Simpsons was heavily inspired by Jack Lemmon's performance in this movie. Al Pacino is great too, but Alec Baldwin's scene almost steals the entire show. Truly his best ever performance. He kind of channeled the same energy as an angry police chief in The Departed. And this is completely skipping past describing the terrific performance of Kevin Spacey. Ed Harris is solid as usual. He was in basically everything that hit the cinemas during the 90s, and usually played the prototypical government official/military/demanding boss character.

It's a shame a lot of people will never appreciate it, since it's not an action fest. It's more about the hopeless situation of working a high-pressure, soul--crushing job, and how such jobs can completely eviscerate any moral fiber. Think of the stereotypical dishonest car salesman. This movie shines a very hitting light on just how such types are easily created.
If that's not your thing, or dialogue-focused adaptation of a great stage play doesn't tickle your fancy, don't even bother.

But the acting and directing is Godfather-tier, and it's not a coincidence this movie is often used as a prime reference in film class, both for actors and aspiring directors.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 1

Acting amd writing magnificence. Acting capable of making you go on ride despite being set in a one room office 90% of the time.

Personally thought Jack Lemmon stole the show, but really everyone had their moment. Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Al Pacino, then the rest.

"You never open your mouth until you know what the shot is"

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Fantastic movie, modern classic. Such a force of all-time great actors at the top of their game. It's also one of the best adaptations of a stage play I've ever seen.

Funny thing about the stage play, the Alec Baldwin scene isn't in the original text. It was added for the movie. Whenever I have taken people to see it (the play is produced out here on average about once a year) people get confused that the "coffee is for closers" scene doesn't happen. 

I think Mamet wrote a version that includes it, but I've never seen it staged.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

After hearing that this movie is a must-see for a while, we finally watched it sometime within the last year.  Acting was good, but overall it got a "meh" from me.  Perhaps it had more impact when it was initially released, but I thought it was just merely good, not great.  I have a very low opinion of smarmy salespeople anyway.

12 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Definitely one worth re-watching at different times in your life to empathize differently each time, as you've had the opportunity to encounter similar people over the years.

Great movie.

Maybe it's the title that has prevented me from watching it it just doesn't sound very exciting. But i do like Al he's done a lot of good shit.

4 minutes ago, cartman said:

Maybe it's the title that has prevented me from watching it it just doesn't sound very exciting. But i do like Al he's done a lot of good shit.

It is really an all-star cast, mostly in their genuine prime.  

It is a short enough movie that the "slow burn" of the drama shouldn't be too off-putting, unless you're truly impatient.

15 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is really an all-star cast, mostly in their genuine prime.  

It is a short enough movie that the "slow burn" of the drama shouldn't be too off-putting, unless you're truly impatient.

Yeah i'll get around to it eventually. I know the names from some other stuff here and there but not extensively. 

56 minutes ago, cartman said:

Maybe it's the title that has prevented me from watching it it just doesn't sound very exciting.

The title is a little unusual, but it makes sense in context (it's the name of the two properties the salesmen are peddling; Glengarry Highlands and Glen Ross Farms.)

They had to stick with it for the movie as the play won the Pulitzer Prize and is considered "canon," i.e., one of the definitive American plays in theatre history.

• Like 2

Just now, Tulpa said:

The title is a little unusual, but it makes sense in context (it's the name of the two properties the salesmen are peddling; Glengarry Highlands and Glen Ross Farms.)

They had to stick with it for the movie as the play won the Pulitzer Prize and is considered "canon," i.e., one of the definitive American plays in theatre history.

Oh ok. Yeah that makes sense. It's just that those names are so fucking dull lol but ofcourse that doesn't mean the movie itself is.

Editorials Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Oh btw, AI: The Somnium Files... meh. Compared to the other games by the developer it's a pretty poor showing tbh. Doesn't pull you in at all IMO. The characters are super weak.

Good to know.  I was kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when it was $30

8 hours ago, cartman said:

I hate to judge a book by its cover, but the title is truly awful and probably has played at least some small role in me not watching it. That being said, it's on my to-do list!

7 hours ago, MachineCode said:

I've literally only seen that 1 scene shown above. My boss used it as a training video (was somewhat kidding) at a store I once worked at.

It is definitely one of those scenes that helps you note truly shitty people by their wanting to identify with Alec Baldwin's character...

On 5/28/2020 at 7:52 PM, arch_8ngel said:

It is definitely one of those scenes that helps you note truly shitty people by their wanting to identify with Alec Baldwin's character...

I can totally see that. We were selling guitars as a mom and pop competing against the big boxes (GC and Sam Ash) so while we definitely needed to sell, it was a little less crazy and a bit tongue in cheek. My boss, who was also my guitar teacher years prior, wasn't a bad dude and definitely had that knack for sales that I did not (I got by purely on technical knowledge.) Just a guy who had invested in his own business starting a lesson studio that ended up ballooning into a full fledged store with a killer amp selection and then shrinking back down to a lesson studio as a GC moved into town and people started using the place to window shop for Amazon and Musician's Friend.

I will say, although I really don't like sales as it just doesn't jive with my personality, I'm really thankful to have worked that job. Being forced to exit my comfort zone and strike up and carry on conversations with random people really ended up helping my personal confidence and interpersonal skills later on in life. While I'll never be captain extrovert, it's now not so daunting to have to talk to people who aren't friends or family. It also really just kills that crippling fear of rejection as you realize that some people are just gonna inevitably say no and that isn't the worst thing in the world. I really recommend that everyone work a sales job at least once in their lives, just to develop some people and conversational skills.

Edited by MachineCode