Moderator · Posted
On 2/1/2021 at 11:35 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

My current backlog.

Yellow = read

Orange = reading

White = to be read

Grey = need to buy

Green = on the short list

Luckily I'm capped in shelf space so my backlog has limited growth opportunities 😆

rPKCjKi.png

Nice list, I’ve either read, or planning to read a lot of them. Not doing any of the graphic or Star Wars stuff, or even full author runs as large as King, other than Butcher, but I’ve read most of his stuff as it comes out. I’ve also got a large section from top 100 novel lists that I pick away at, some of which are on your list too. I’m glad I’ve taken some of the more daunting ones down already like WoT. 

Events Team · Posted

Just finished and started the movie.  I always get Sphere mixed up with Contact.  Which also reminds me of Event Horizon.  Late 90s were rife with sphere/portal based alien movies for some reason...  Oh yeah, Stargate too.

oNKvIOU.jpg

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
41 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Just finished and started the movie.  I always get Sphere mixed up with Contact.  Which also reminds me of Event Horizon.  Late 90s were rife with sphere/portal based alien movies for some reason...  Oh yeah, Stargate too.

oNKvIOU.jpg

The 90's might have been trying to tell us something... A message from the past!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up a handful of canon Star Wars novels (the last couple being Tarkin and Dark Disciple), then started in on the Book Club selection for this month--The Color of Magic.  About 25-30% through so far and already noticing a lot of reasonably significant (although not story or enjoyment affecting) differences between the movie version and the book!

47 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Just finished this one. Kind of a hard read so it took me a good while to finish. Had to take many breaks from it.

84A29755-CA51-453B-B1D6-73093FB9D502.jpeg

I don't know if the book covers it or not but dog kidnappings from the west coast were common since people stole the dogs to use (or more commonly sell) as sled dogs in the Klondike Rush.  Sadly virtually all those dogs died since sled dogs are pretty breed specific - and even those need proper nurturing and training to succeed.

--------------------------

Another interesting Klondike piece of history is that of the legendary western con man "Soapy Smith" - who met his end in Skagway (where he and his gang were involved in fleecing miners).

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I don't know if the book covers it or not but dog kidnappings from the west coast were common since people stole the dogs to use (or more commonly sell) as sled dogs in the Klondike Rush.  Sadly virtually all those dogs died since sled dogs are pretty breed specific - and even those need proper nurturing and training to succeed.

--------------------------

Another interesting Klondike piece of history is that of the legendary western con man "Soapy Smith" - who met his end in Skagway (where he and his gang were involved in fleecing miners.

It does go into that a bit. Also about all the horse graveyards along the passes.