IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

I am midway through a really dark urban fantasy trilogy by E.E. Richardson called "Ritual Crime Unit" - set in Britain it is surprisingly bereft of humor (which I generally like in most fiction) but despite that I am enjoying it.  

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

Editorials Team · Posted

Finished Eden Express.  Didnt' love it, but it was a very interesting story of a bunch of East Coast neurotic trust fund hippies starting a commune, doing lots of drugs, becoming mentally ill, and then the famous one pulling out of it.

Starting up this guy

Just After Sunset: Stories

On 12/26/2019 at 12:56 AM, Gloves said:

Batman comics. I picked up basically all of the Rebirth comics and have been slowly reading through them. I have a few I'm missing so I'll have to take a break here and there to find those but overall I'm liking what I've read so far.

I am doing something similar with Hellboy, BPRD, (basicly the entire Hellboy universe Edward Grey, Lobster Johnson etc) reading everything in chronological order been a blast so far only dragged in a couple of spots, figured since the main story arcs and such was over with (not counting the newer releases of back/side story stuff) it was a good time to read them as I have been meaning to for ages think I am at the halfway point now or nearing it.  In the midst of it I have also found other Mignola stuff that has caught my interest (Baltimore, Joe Golem, and a few other misc things) 

Finished Children of Dune sometime last week and am somewhere between 2/3 & 3/4 done with God Emperor of Dune.  Still enjoying the books thus far, but am really starting to wonder how much more real content there can be beyond this point as well as what Brian Herbert has been filling all of his followup books with beyond window dressing for people who just couldn't stand for that world to no longer push forward.

I just got these in the mail.   They are a two volume history of the Marx Toy Company - which in the forties, fifties and sixties was a major toy company in the US.   They made some great toys - especially their playsets (which could be quite elaborate).

s-l500 (4).jpg

s-l500 (3).jpg

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

31 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I've had those for 25 years.  Still plan on reading them eventually

Same, I finally decided to read them. Heir to the Empire was a good start and easy read. Book 2 is looking to be along the same quality lines. The X-Wing books are pretty good also. They take place between Return of the Jedi and the Thrawn Trilogy. 

Finally finished God Emperor of Dune last night and got the first few pages into Heretics of Dune before calling it a night.  Not really sure I'll finish up the second trilogy, seeing as things have been on a downward swing for the last book or so.  It wasn't a hard read, but it really seemed like it could have been about 2/3 shorter, since so many of the things brought up in the book just got harped on continuously.  Having people struggle with a situation via inward monologue a dozen times before you actually let them address it doesn't further anything and isn't good reading, IMHO.

13 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Same, I finally decided to read them. Heir to the Empire was a good start and easy read. Book 2 is looking to be along the same quality lines. The X-Wing books are pretty good also. They take place between Return of the Jedi and the Thrawn Trilogy. 

The first four X-Wing books were good, but after Stackpole left, I just couldn't stay interested.  I guess he eventually came back, but by that point I'd been done for several novels.  I know it's not technically the same medium, but if you've never read the Dark Empire series of comics, they're worth a look, as they go on to explain why Thrawn had such a hard time putting together ships, crews, and supplies during his time in the spotlight.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Funny, I also have the first X Wing book from back in the day that I couldn't get into.  Most other stuff from that era I read, but those 4 books I just never got through.

And I love Dark Empire.  Had the 2nd trade back in the day, and got the hardbound omnibus 10 years ago or so.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Finished Becoming Superman (stranger than fiction), and The Wise Man's Fear (I like it more than 'Name of the Wind'), and Just After Sunset (a few great stories, a lot of weak ones)

Also burned through this guy

Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)

Pretty good.  Thought it was better than Storm Front (the first book)

Now I'm starting up these two guys

The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1)