IGNORED

Database of Nintendo Age and Complete Game Lists

I'm suggesting a database containing recovered NintendoAge posts and resources, depending on the legality of that, and potentially containing entries for each and every game- ever. Now this may sound like a lot, but read below for more info:

We could build a database with complete lists of games, giving each game its own entry, and just trust the community to provide descriptions and reviews of games they've played. Somewhat of a Wikipedia-like thing. We'd have to make it so certain users can be restricted from posting on the database for intentionally inaccurate information or troll reviews. Through this, we could constantly be updating and checking existing entries to provide the ultimate buying guide for retro games. Info on games, games ranked based on user reviews and critic reviews, the ability to sort (by system, by genre for system, ect), and the ability to leave review for games you enjoyed-- or didn't. This will be a huge undertaking, but I have pretty much allthe time in the world right now, since I'm not working and most likely won't be for a few months.

Edited by LaytToTheParty

Administrator · Posted

Refer to my other response on that other thread, but to sum up: copying content from any other site is not allowed unless you are the original poster. 

We're not going to make a database of content ripped from another site, including NA. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Refer to my other response on that other thread, but to sum up: copying content from any other site is not allowed unless you are the original poster. 

We're not going to make a database of content ripped from another site, including NA. 

Got it. What about a database completely rebuilt from the ground up? Made 100% on this site?

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That'd be more what we'd wanna do here yeah.

Awesome! Where do we start? And can I use info from NA as a guide? Like that redacted N64 CiB contents post. If I were to make it like a chart and not copy anything he has written it'd be totally legal. Just use his pictures to fill it out into something like that Contents of SNES CiB chart that someone made earlier.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Awesome! Where do we start? And can I use info from NA as a guide? Like that redacted N64 CiB contents post. If I were to make it like a chart and not copy anything he has written it'd be totally legal. Just use his pictures to fill it out into something like that Contents of SNES CiB chart that someone made earlier.

You cannot use photos you don't own.

As for starting, there's some stuff in the works at the moment, though nothing positively concrete. Consider that we have people from all walks of live - Players, collectors, and builders. Pleasing everyone at once is gonna be impossible, so we have to assess what we can do, and prioritize.

You can get a general sense for what is currently possible by looking at the Homebrew and Retro Stores databases. They're like a rough start to give people a sense for it.

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

You cannot use photos you don't own.

Nope, I just mean using those as a resource to make original content and verify that it is indeed accurate. I don't understand why that wouldn't be allowed.

Imo our priority should be getting entries for games, consoles, peripherals, ect up. Once we get them up, we can expand upon and refine. Then we can introduce some sort of ranking system and review system, and potentially even incorporate Metacritic for stuff post-1995. I guess it comes down to what you think we should start with. 

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

Nope, I just mean using those as a resource to make original content and verify that it is indeed accurate. I don't understand why that wouldn't be allowed.

Imo our priority should be getting entries for games, consoles, peripherals, ect up. Once we get them up, we can expand upon and refine. Then we can introduce some sort of ranking system and review system, and potentially even incorporate Metacritic for stuff post-1995. I guess it comes down to what you think we should start with. 

I thought you meant posting the photos, misunderstood.

Realistically whatever we do, we will likely start with the NES.