IGNORED

Thoughts on Complete Sets

12 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

join the Arcade Club 🙂

It is a shame that the clubs don't get used more - seems the perfect place for people to talk about a specific genre (or console) and talk with others who like the same type of games - that would be the perfect place IMHO to talk about gems (hidden or otherwise).  One thing about "gems" lists is that if there is a game genre you have no interest in than it can't be a gem to you no matter how great it might be for someone else.

13 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

It is a shame that the clubs don't get used more - seems the perfect place for people to talk about a specific genre (or console) and talk with others who like the same type of games - that would be the perfect place IMHO to talk about gems (hidden or otherwise).  One thing about "gems" lists is that if there is a game genre you have no interest in than it can't be a gem to you no matter how great it might be for someone else.

I... never even looked at the Clubs until this post. Wow. I've been missing out on a lot of good content. :0

1 minute ago, noiseredux said:

I... never even looked at the Clubs until this post. Wow. I've been missing out on a lot of good content. :0

A big part of the problem is that they aren't at all visible - I didn't know they were there until fairly recently when someone told me about them. 

t

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

How big do you want your internet gaming dick to be? 

Real big? Go for complete sets. Regular big? Get exclusively dank games everyone knows and loves. Medium? Buy the games you like and keep the ones you want to play again. Small? Emulate on PC and talk about how collecting is a waste of time and space.

Either way, most people will buy games and then sell them a few years later and never look back. That's the reality of the world. Collectors come and go and so do collections. 

That's a bit much no? I go for full sets and other than the charms things under my username (cause they're just a fun little thing) no one would probably ever know about it. Not everybody goes swinging full sets in everyone's face. 

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

29 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

That's a bit much no? I go for full sets and other than the charms things under my username (cause they're just a fun little thing) no one would probably ever know about it. Not everybody goes swinging full sets in everyone's face. 

How hard was SMS? Despite being small, I hear it can be a bitch.

Edited by LaytToTheParty

24 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

It is a hyperbole for sure BUT like, foreal, if you have a complete NES, SNES set, you're king of the jungle. What could even be next? N64 may be a step down but even then, completing sets is the ultimate flex.

I think going for complete sets and having them are completely different though. Having the set is 1/10,000 of those who are truly working towards one. And then how long they stay complete is another story all together. 

I would like a complete 3ds set and I buy any game I see for $5 or less, as well as games I'm interested, but I'm 500+ games from a complete set. And at this point it's a pipe dream. 

Complete sets are big dick energy. I don't think it's a bad thing. And there are those who speak softly and carry a big stick 😉 Not everyone is L. B. Johnson. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

There's a couple of games, like Buster Douglas Boxing and Alf that are pretty hard. Probably N64 level of collecting. Some tough games, but not Stadium Events impossible.

59 minutes ago, LaytToTheParty said:

That's another reason I don't bring up complete sets I have aquired. I completed them in 2012-2013 and haven't kept up once I finished them. So my experiences were wildly different from someone trying it today. It took less than a year I think to put together the SMS set and Buster Douglas was $150ish I think and everything else maybe $50 at most? and that was for CIB stuff. No one was really really cared for systems beyond NES/SNES/Genesis at the time. That's why I focused on N64/SMS/32X/Jaguar, it was the cheaper alternatives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

Those definitely aren't the only two options. 

For example, option 3 is a new type of hunt: find games you didn't know about that you might like. I guarantee there are games for systems you collect for that you simply didn't know about, but would enjoy. Take time, do research, try em, buy em. 

Complete sets are PURELY bragging rights. I'd certainly never go for one, waste of time, money, and space. 

No, I am sorry they are not PURELY for bragging rights........ that would indicate someone is showing off their sets and that's not the case. We all have different goals my friend...... for me it was because my parents couldn't afford to buy me games as a kid and I would browse Toy's R Us and take the white papers home and dream one day I would have all the NES games. Maybe for you its a waste and that's cool but your story isn't everyone's. 

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Mr. CIB said:

No, I am sorry they are not PURELY for bragging rights........ that would indicate someone is showing off their sets and that's not the case. We all have different goals my friend...... for me it was because my parents couldn't afford to buy me games as a kid and I would browse Toy's R Us and take the white papers home and dream one day I would have all the NES games. Maybe for you its a waste and that's cool but your story isn't everyone's. 

I was primarily referring to how it relates to the OP of the thread, but certainly, point taken. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

for me it was because my parents couldn't afford to buy me games as a kid and I would browse Toy's R Us and take the white papers home and dream one day I would have all the NES games.

Including Taboo the Sixth Sense? 😛

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I was primarily referring to how it relates to the OP of the thread, but certainly, point taken. 

Honestly, I just enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and I'll certainly pursue shovelware if it has a story behind it and doesn't cost me more than $500. That's about the most I'll ever be willing to drop on one game, including Stadium Events, since I've gotten most of my bigger bois either through luck or through trades.

It’s really a matter of personal tastes. If most gamers agree that you should play the games that are of interest to you, then by the same token, I would say to anyone who is into collecting, to “collect what you want to collect”. 

The above can apply to collecting in various ways. Examples:

- only games of personal importance

- only games worth playing 

- only games of rarity and/or high quality condition

- only cheap games

- only graded games

- only games sold via Heritage Auctions

etc.

Personally I used to be a full set collector, then I find myself usually getting bored at around 95% of a full collection then I move onto another platform. Now I’m more into games of personal/historical importance and the rare ones. All I can say is that I give equal respect for those who have a full set or those who have 2 partial sets of similar passion. But it’s more about the passion and not being a show-off idiot. 

If you’re going for the full set, just remember to ensure you have the right amount of potential income and enough space to hold those sets! 

• Like 1

You don’t have to own any arcade cabs to join the arcade club, so yes, what you have is “good enough”. Most clubs are for anyone interested in the topic. 🙂

You can’t expect people to know whatall you’ve already looked into. I think you’re being aggressively sarcastic to peoples suggestions and for some reason nobody is picking up on it (correct me if I’m wrong) but ANYWAY....

Have you considered collecting things that are not games? I like Nintendo Power mags and unauthorized guide books for instance. Amiibos are another example — not for me, but I get the appeal of figures, and theres a ton of them.

31 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Agreed. Echoing your Toys R Us sentiment, it feels like I'm walking down the aisle of the rental store when I peruse my NES collection. I have a lot of nostalgia for those days of my youth and it just makes me happy. I would be equally happy (probably significantly happier) if the games were dirt cheap and everyone could join full set club.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Cons:

Changing priorities (one day you may look at your collection and go "My god, what the hell have I done?")

This was my exact reaction when I packed away my PS1 games in big plastic totes to make space for kids play area.  I wasn’t even at the halfway mark (under 600 games) and all I could think was what the hell is wrong with me?

• Like 1

Collecting a fullset is an arbitrary goal. Well, I guess game collecting in general is arbitrary! 😅

But, what I mean is, collecting a fullset is even MORE arbitrary because you're only collecting 297 games (or whatever) because there ARE 297 games. If there were 298 you'd be collecting 298, and if there were 296 you'd be collecting that. So you are KINDA collecting a number at that point, not so much games.

However, that isn't to say that collecting a fullset cannot be an organic extension of your existing collection! I'm only going for one fullset, N64, and that happened relatively naturally I'd say.

I started with all the good games, all the Nintendo and Rareware stuff and the best of third party. Then started to buy games with unique and interesting style or gameplay, and games in established series and franchises. Then just buying all the games in particular genres and whatever games I could remember reading about in the magazines. And once you've bought all those, you realise there's less than a hundred games left and most of em are cheap, so the fullset just seems like the logical next step! 😁

I have to say, it is fun and rewarding, just to find some of these games, especially now I'm into collecting the Japanese CIBs. Some of those boxes are amazingly beautiful, so much nicer than the western boxart!

Not sure if that answered OP's question, but yeah, fullset collecting is a different journey for different people, it all depends on what you're into and where you derive your pleasure from the hobby.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Agreed. Echoing your Toys R Us sentiment, it feels like I'm walking down the aisle of the rental store when I peruse my NES collection. I have a lot of nostalgia for those days of my youth and it just makes me happy. I would be equally happy (probably significantly happier) if the games were dirt cheap and everyone could join full set club.

I'm not a set collector, but that has to be pretty awesome.

To me, it depends on whether you're primarily a collector or a gamer.  If you just want to have the games to own them (like slabbed or sealed games), that's one thing.  But for me, it's always been about having a giant library of games to play.  I can't play every game every day (or even every year), but I love gaming on the NES and it's awesome to read some thread about a hidden gem or game of the week or whatever and be able to go grab it off the shelf and pop it in your system, no matter what game it is on the system.  I honestly can't tell you how many hundreds of games in the NES library have pleasantly surprised me play-wise, that I would have never given the time of day had I not been gunning for the full set...

• Like 3

You’re not a real man unless your tendo tapes can be stacked taller than your home. Anything less is emasculating.

/s

Full sets are fun, but people have to be realistic in their expectations. You’re not going to find sealed 5-screw Stadium Events, or the mythical/theoretical NWC Gold instructions.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Link said:

You can’t expect people to know whatall you’ve already looked into. I think you’re being aggressively sarcastic to peoples suggestions and for some reason nobody is picking up on it (correct me if I’m wrong) but ANYWAY....

Have you considered collecting things that are not games? I like Nintendo Power mags and unauthorized guide books for instance. Amiibos are another example — not for me, but I get the appeal of figures, and theres a ton of them.

I'm assuming the top part is directed at me, and for that, I'm sorry. I did not mean to come off as overly aggressive or sarcastic in any way. Yes, I already collect some other stuff-- game-themed candies and foods, Nintendo Power issues, official guidebooks, and World of Nintendo stuff. How are the unofficial guidebooks? Are they well designed and thought out? I might look into them. As for amiibos, well, I really don't want to go down that alley *shudders* In all seriousness though, amiibos sound awesome, although I may sell off some off my World of Nintendo figures and wait for prices on amiibos to come down a bit.