IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong

BeaIank

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Lol I tried to get to my personal goal of 250k after my kid went down at 9:30 est. Of course I'm a few thousand below the ninji score. I left so much on the table with this. I'm not even sure which part of the game I'm bad at because all my deaths were just stupid careless mistakes. 300k is so doable if I had a real block of time. And it finally now just started raining here lol

It sounds like you and I were in a similar situation with our runs. During my last and best run, I managed to not make too many fatal errors while progressing. However, I did screw up enough to knock myself down. I missed 15,000 points of barrel jumps on level 5-1 due to bad positioning (things I shouldn't have and thus far had not been missing!). I didn't get to really play level 6-1 because I mistimed a barrel jump and it was game over! We'll get 'em next time 🙂  Also @NESfiend lol at how close our scores were! 😄

Edited by ninjistar
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Another great week for the NES Weekly Contest, and @Bearcat-Doug managed to finish 1st with a final score posted with only a few seconds left on the clock! @bertsampson tried to upset him earlier today by posting a score of 602,300, which was just enough to top Doug's earlier score by 200 points.This has also stop @Kid Dracula winning streak to 3 consecutive wins, but the Drac Kid still resume on his stunning performance with a solid 3rd place and a score over the 500k mark!

Not too far away was @Jeevan who build up his score throughout the week and posted a terrific score of 459,200, with @0xDEAFC0DE following closely at 440,400. Let's also mention the honorable efforts of @TWarwick07 with 366,000 and @CasualCart who not only delighted us with 3 art posts in the thread, but also with a slick score of 337,000!

Thanks to everyone livening up the contest threads and see you all for the Puzznic week!

I just barely got my score in at 10:59 so it literally was at the last minute! I had a feeling my score wasn't safe so I played right up to the buzzer. Congrats to @bertsampson, @Kid Dracula and @rdrunner on their awesome scores and making me really earn that 17th career win this week.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

14 hours ago, ninjistar said:

We'll get 'em next time 🙂  Also @NESfiend lol at how close our scores were! 😄

I kept thinking all last night that those runs would have been perfect for Friday or even Saturday night of the contest. Everything just started coming together and when I have a night like that, the next afternoons run goes way further. May have something to do with the bud lights at night lol. With another day, I think both of us would have cleared 300k. I know I would have never been close to the 500k dudes, but we coulda got into that top 8 with just a little more time!

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I kept thinking all last night that those runs would have been perfect for Friday or even Saturday night of the contest. Everything just started coming together and when I have a night like that, the next afternoons run goes way further. May have something to do with the bud lights at night lol. With another day, I think both of us would have cleared 300k. I know I would have never been close to the 500k dudes, but we coulda got into that top 8 with just a little more time!

The Bud Light must be the issue. Look what it did to @skinnygrinny! If you all drank Miller Lite, you would be in the 600k club!

33 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Bud Light must be the issue. Look what it did to @skinnygrinny! If you all drank Miller Lite, you would be in the 600k club!

Nah, its part of the process. Provides longevity for pratice. And once you start scoring well several beers in at night, the possibilities are endless when you fire that thing up sober Sunday afternoon. 

First week I vested the tapeworm except the one he missed. I dont care if I won because he was drunk and ripping jays all week and not playing games. A win is a win!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Nah, its part of the process. Provides longevity for pratice. And once you start scoring well several beers in at night, the possibilities are endless when you fire that thing up sober Sunday afternoon. 

First week I vested the tapeworm except the one he missed. I dont care if I won because he was drunk and ripping jays all week and not playing games. A win is a win!

@skinnygrinny went from the grinder to the slacker! 😂

• Haha 1

@Bearcat-Doug, which cart did you play?  Did you do the jump trick on board 3? (I couldn't get it to work at all)  Did you use the ladder warp trick on board 1 or do the hammers?  I only got around a dozen attempts in, but couldn't decide which way was best.  Too much luck involved.  Also, on my rom of Donkey Kong Classics, the ladder warp trick resulted in death at the top of the screen.  I'm thinking next time this one is played, it needs to be restricted to one version.  There are revisions in even the original version, so it's quite possible that playing the other versions may impact luck as well.

Just now, bertsampson said:

@Bearcat-Doug, which cart did you play?  Did you do the jump trick on board 3? (I couldn't get it to work at all)  Did you use the ladder warp trick on board 1 or do the hammers?  I only got around a dozen attempts in, but couldn't decide which way was best.  Too much luck involved.  Also, on my rom of Donkey Kong Classics, the ladder warp trick resulted in death at the top of the screen.  I'm thinking next time this one is played, it needs to be restricted to one version.  There are revisions in even the original version, so it's quite possible that playing the other versions may impact luck as well.

I've got a 5 screw cart, but I didn't use the ladder warp trick. I can usually just speedrun it and get to the top with 7000-7100 on the bonus timer.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've got a 5 screw cart, but I didn't use the ladder warp trick. I can usually just speedrun it and get to the top with 7000-7100 on the bonus timer.

So no hammers?  I tried both ways with similar points.  I did my final score using both hammers and ladder trick based upon if I got the ladder trick first try.

So no hammers?  I tried both ways with similar points.  I did my final score using both hammers and ladder trick based upon if I got the ladder trick first try.

I didn't bother with the hammers, I just tried to get to the top as fast as possible. Did you know that you could double jump the ladder barrels? If you jump a second time with the barrel still on the ladder you will get even more points.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The ladder trick for extra barrel points seems to be pixel perfect. If you're not standing on the exact spot it doesn't work.

Yeah, you need to be one pixel to the left. If you hit right then left when you get to the top of the ladder, you should line up right where you need to be.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I didn't bother with the hammers, I just tried to get to the top as fast as possible. Did you know that you could double jump the ladder barrels? If you jump a second time with the barrel still on the ladder you will get even more points.

I was just about to point that out.  Seems to only get another 100 or 200 points, but yeah, more points.  I died/restarted a few times due to double jumping and then getting hit by the next barrel coming down the ladder.  I used the broken ladder up near the top.  Seemed like a more likely spot to have barrels go down the ladder.  Apparently it's about the same.

3 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

I was just about to point that out.  Seems to only get another 100 or 200 points, but yeah, more points.  I died/restarted a few times due to double jumping and then getting hit by the next barrel coming down the ladder.  I used the broken ladder up near the top.  Seemed like a more likely spot to have barrels go down the ladder.  Apparently it's about the same.

I always stuck with the top right ladder so I could sprint to the end when the bonus timer hit the 200 mark. I think they are totally random so that seemed to be the best approach.

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The ladder trick for extra barrel points seems to be pixel perfect. If you're not standing on the exact spot it doesn't work.

Thats what clicked last night. I could do it before, but it wasn't 100%. I wouldnt know if I was in the right spot until I tried it. Last night I could manage it by site beforehand and do it every time. Let's play DK first week of 2021

Just now, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I tried to use the ladder warp trick, but I also found that it killed me occasionally. I was never able to figure out exactly what was causing it. 

I also couldn't get the jump trick on board 3 to work. I assumed it was arcade only, but I'm not sure.

It killed you occasionally?  Which cart were you using?  My DK Classics rom killed me every time.  My DK rom never killed me.

I thought the video posted up in here showed the board 3 trick working on the NES, but I could be mistaken.

Just now, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I also couldn't get the jump trick on board 3 to work. I assumed it was arcade only, but I'm not sure.

When you guys say board 3, are you talking about the 3rd barrel stage? If so, i had the trick working just fine using the 5 screw black box cart

It killed you occasionally?  Which cart were you using?  My DK Classics rom killed me every time.  My DK rom never killed me.

I thought the video posted up in here showed the board 3 trick working on the NES, but I could be mistaken.

An everdrive, but I think it was the DK rev A rom. It seemed to work most of the time but not always. I made a save state just before it happened and found that slowly inching down across the screen wrap avoided it, but who knows if that's the real solution.

If you are talking about the history of glitches video for the board 3 trick, I think that one showed a custom made graphic. But it then pointed out some code that makes it possible which was Z80 assembly (the arcade machine used a Z80 CPU iirc while the NES uses a 6502 based CPU).

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

When you guys say board 3, are you talking about the 3rd barrel stage? If so, i had the trick working just fine using the 5 screw black box cart

No the rivet stage

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I didn't have any issue with it not working either.

Can't help but note that the point differential in the 1st and second place scores would have been more than covered with level 3 jump trick points. Poor @bertsampson done in by what appears to be a random cart choice error! 

Edit: ah rivet stage. Yeah, I didn't get the jump trick next to dk to work. When it didn't work there, I just assumed it wasn't something you could do on the nes version

Edited by NESfiend

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Referring to the trick where you get next Donkey Kong at the top of the Rivet stage.  You get close enough that you simply jump and score 100 points per jump.

Oh wait, maybe it is 6502. I think I just didn't look close enough (plus I haven't used either for a while).

EDIT: yep it's definitely 6502. He was definitely mixing the two when explaining the kill screen in the arcade version, so I wouldn't put it past him to have used the wrong code.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE