Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BeaIank

VGS Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried that once and couldn't get it to work at all.

See my edit above. When it didn't work on 1st rivet stage, I figured it just didn't work. But it sounds like people were doing it on the subsequent ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

See my edit above. When it didn't work on 1st rivet stage, I figured it just didn't work. But it sounds like people were doing it on the subsequent ones?

I don't know when I tried it. I hadn't seen it until that video. When I couldn't get it to work, I didn't try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't know when I tried it. I hadn't seen it until that video. When I couldn't get it to work, I didn't try again.

Yeah, I never got it to work at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh wait, maybe it is 6502. I think I just didn't look close enough (plus I haven't used either for a while).

EDIT: yep it's definitely 6502. He was definitely mixing the two when explaining the kill screen in the arcade version, so I wouldn't put it past him to have used the wrong code.

I had my good copy on the shelf for motivation, but it's sealed in acrylic so I can't check the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bertsampson said:

Yeah, I never got it to work at all.

Well, that explains our scores being so close. We must have basically maxed out the score for 9 loops down to random barrel drops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried playing the arcade version and did get the dk jump trick to work on the rivet stage. So, I think it is arcade only.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Well, that explains our scores being so close. We must have basically maxed out the score for 9 loops down to random barrel drops. 

Yup.  And I don't know which version of the rom I have.  Mine are all renamed omitting the info after the game title.  I could try and figure it out, but my guess is that the luck isn't effected.  Did you speedrun the rest of the game, or did you try the hammers on board 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bertsampson said:

Yup.  And I don't know which version of the rom I have.  Mine are all renamed omitting the info after the game title.  I could try and figure it out, but my guess is that the luck isn't effected.  Did you speedrun the rest of the game, or did you try the hammers on board 3?

I used the hammers on level 3. I would try to get the fireballs to group together and take them all out so I could clear the stage without any trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I used the hammers on level 3. I would try to get the fireballs to group together and take them all out so I could clear the stage without any trouble.

I couldn't decide if spending time to round up the fireballs was worth it.  Sometimes I'd try, but end up only getting one or two fireballs with the hammer.  Other times four or five, so maybe averaging out more points than the bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bertsampson said:

I couldn't decide if spending time to round up the fireballs was worth it.  Sometimes I'd try, but end up only getting one or two fireballs with the hammer.  Other times four or five, so maybe averaging out more points than the bonus.

I would clear enough of them to make up for whatever time ran off the clock and then clear the level. It was probably a wash as far as the score goes, but since you can control what side the fireballs come back on, it makes the level easier when you get them all on the same half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I just tried playing the arcade version and did get the dk jump trick to work on the rivet stage. So, I think it is arcade only.

Yeah there is an arcade bar near me and guys are always doing that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final scoreboard posted.
19 brave warriors competed this week. Congratulations to @Bearcat-Doug for taking the win, @bertsampson for the valiant 2nd place and @Kid Dracula for scoring a 3rd place.
If this game returns, we will limit the variation cart that you can play at.

Thank you all for playing and participating on the weekly contest!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, I made top 8. I can't say that I put in a ton of effort due to this game frustrating me  so I'm happy with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Nah, its part of the process. Provides longevity for pratice. And once you start scoring well several beers in at night, the possibilities are endless when you fire that thing up sober Sunday afternoon. 

First week I vested the tapeworm except the one he missed. I dont care if I won because he was drunk and ripping jays all week and not playing games. A win is a win!

 

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@skinnygrinny went from the grinder to the slacker! 😂

tapeworm always with a target in his back! lol! nice job nesfiend! a win is a win! 

meerkat! im like a wet noodle anymore 😞 

  • Wow! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, skinnygrinny said:

 

tapeworm always with a target in his back! lol! nice job nesfiend! a win is a win! 

meerkat! im like a wet noodle anymore 😞 

It's okay. You'll more than make up for it this week with a killer Puzznic score.

 

  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

tapeworm always with a target in his back! lol! nice job nesfiend! a win is a win! 

meerkat! im like a wet noodle anymore 😞 

spacer.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...