IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Donkey Kong

BeaIank

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

See my edit above. When it didn't work on 1st rivet stage, I figured it just didn't work. But it sounds like people were doing it on the subsequent ones?

I don't know when I tried it. I hadn't seen it until that video. When I couldn't get it to work, I didn't try again.

12 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Oh wait, maybe it is 6502. I think I just didn't look close enough (plus I haven't used either for a while).

EDIT: yep it's definitely 6502. He was definitely mixing the two when explaining the kill screen in the arcade version, so I wouldn't put it past him to have used the wrong code.

I had my good copy on the shelf for motivation, but it's sealed in acrylic so I can't check the board. 

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Well, that explains our scores being so close. We must have basically maxed out the score for 9 loops down to random barrel drops. 

Yup.  And I don't know which version of the rom I have.  Mine are all renamed omitting the info after the game title.  I could try and figure it out, but my guess is that the luck isn't effected.  Did you speedrun the rest of the game, or did you try the hammers on board 3?

Just now, bertsampson said:

Yup.  And I don't know which version of the rom I have.  Mine are all renamed omitting the info after the game title.  I could try and figure it out, but my guess is that the luck isn't effected.  Did you speedrun the rest of the game, or did you try the hammers on board 3?

I used the hammers on level 3. I would try to get the fireballs to group together and take them all out so I could clear the stage without any trouble.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I used the hammers on level 3. I would try to get the fireballs to group together and take them all out so I could clear the stage without any trouble.

I couldn't decide if spending time to round up the fireballs was worth it.  Sometimes I'd try, but end up only getting one or two fireballs with the hammer.  Other times four or five, so maybe averaging out more points than the bonus.

Just now, bertsampson said:

I couldn't decide if spending time to round up the fireballs was worth it.  Sometimes I'd try, but end up only getting one or two fireballs with the hammer.  Other times four or five, so maybe averaging out more points than the bonus.

I would clear enough of them to make up for whatever time ran off the clock and then clear the level. It was probably a wash as far as the score goes, but since you can control what side the fireballs come back on, it makes the level easier when you get them all on the same half.

Events Team · Posted

Final scoreboard posted.
19 brave warriors competed this week. Congratulations to @Bearcat-Doug for taking the win, @bertsampson for the valiant 2nd place and @Kid Dracula for scoring a 3rd place.
If this game returns, we will limit the variation cart that you can play at.

Thank you all for playing and participating on the weekly contest!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Nah, its part of the process. Provides longevity for pratice. And once you start scoring well several beers in at night, the possibilities are endless when you fire that thing up sober Sunday afternoon. 

First week I vested the tapeworm except the one he missed. I dont care if I won because he was drunk and ripping jays all week and not playing games. A win is a win!

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@skinnygrinny went from the grinder to the slacker! 😂

tapeworm always with a target in his back! lol! nice job nesfiend! a win is a win! 

meerkat! im like a wet noodle anymore 😞 

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, skinnygrinny said:

tapeworm always with a target in his back! lol! nice job nesfiend! a win is a win! 

meerkat! im like a wet noodle anymore 😞 

It's okay. You'll more than make up for it this week with a killer Puzznic score.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned