IGNORED

New Paper Mario!

Quest4Nes

• 1 month later...

After watching some gameplay, I'm still excited about this game, but I'm not seeing anything that makes me thing it will be as good as the original or TTYD.  I like the new battle system, but the idea of collecting confetti and spreading it out over open/missing areas looks like a pain in the ass to me.  

I didn't watch the treehouse event but saw that there is no EXP in the game.  So what is the point of an RPG style battle system without progression?  My only experience with the series was sticker star and it was a big letdown.  This new release is starting to remind me of that.  I hope I am wrong.

Also, that Wayforward announcement was a bummer.  We could really use a direct.  This and Pokemon Unite would be great filler announcements between some first party, but not their own highlighted streams.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Sad 1

I'm looking forward to it. The last Paper Mario I played was Super Paper Mario and that was a huge disappointment for me, so hoping this one will do some justice. Wish it was TTYD format though, my most favorite Mario game ever made. So apparently it isn't again, but it does look much better than SPM at least from what I have seen.

So far, it is much better than Super Paper Mario at least ( the last I played). Beautiful game overall, just so fun to look at. Has comic relief and some new abilities. However, the battle system is unfortunately not the same as the original 2 and takes some getting used to. Will keep playing on hopefully I'll get to enjoy it more better.

19 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@Code Monkey yeah, it's annoying but you do adapt to them.

The game arrived Sunday and been playing it.. I think it's really good but I just do not understand the no exp/level system. I just see no reason to not include it, and wonder why they did that choice..

Ok, ok... this could be a deal breaker for me.  How do you increase in power?  Do you get new abilities at certain points in the game?  Does the difficulty increase only as you progress?  Is grinding viable? 

Don't get me wrong, I hate grinding for the sake of grinding, but I do like having the option to beef myself an extra level or two when it's necessary.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm about 2-3 hours into the game and I haven't encountered an enemy that has had the chance to attack me yet. Every battle is one hit and I win. I'm assuming it gets more difficult.

Does the game have adjustable difficulty settings?

• Like 1

@RH you do. There are these Heart things you get, I have had 1 story one (20HP and some boost to your damage) and 2 hidden ones (gave me 5hp and small boost dmg). The latter one was hidden with a Toad - these guys are hidden around the game and the more you locate, the more you have cheer you on in battle (they can also be used in battle, and the higher the toads the higher the bonus.. I think).

@Gloves @Code Monkey The game IS super easy to this point, but the battles are pretty puzzle-based and they are enjoyable. Paper Mario games aren't really known to be tough though are they? This is the 1st one I played since TTYD.

Edited by Nintegageo

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

@RH you do. There are these Heart things you get, I have had 1 story one (20HP and some boost to your damage) and 1 hidden one (gave me 5hp, not sure abot dmg). The latter one was hidden with a Toad - these guys are hidden around the game and the more you locate, the more you have cheer you on in battle (they can also be used in battle, and the higher the toads the higher the bonus.. I think).

@Gloves @Code Monkey The game IS super easy to this point, but the battles are pretty puzzle-based and they are enjoyable. Paper Mario games aren't really known to be tough though are they? This is the 1st one I played since TTYD.

I've yet to play a Mario rpg that was difficult in the slightest. 

Yep, after a little over an hour I just couldn't play it anymore. Not for me. Glad a lot of people love it though.

TTYD has a perfect balance of difficulty throughout from beginning to end. At least imo. I am on the final boss still and can't beat her all these years. Gonna try again tonight.